Do I recover my Daytona seats? | FerrariChat

Do I recover my Daytona seats?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Oct 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I plan to pose this on Tom’s site, but would value your input. The car is a very original Daytona, 3 previous owners, 39K miles. Both of the original seats have multiple areas where the leather is coming apart at the seams tho’ it’s pretty much limited to the center section, not the bolsters and sides. I can provide pictures if that’ll help. The foam is crumbling with every use. Do I replace the foam and reupholster the seats? Just do the center section? Leave it as is. I’ve had two opinions: Patrick Ottis, who did the PI, was adamantly opposed to doing anything. The guy who last serviced the car, January of this year, Randy Reed of Antique Auto Restorations, advised the previous owner to have them re-done.

World Upholstery is significantly less than Re-Originals. Is there a significant difference?

Thanx steve

2. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    You can't have the seams re-sewed and replace the foam?

Regards,
    Terry W. Phillips

3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Might could do and I'm going to check on it, but the center section with all the cool Daytona design is pretty well shot. s

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Are your seats black?

5. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    yes, black with NO color inserts. thanx. steve

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    If still original, the 40-year old leather next to the seams is probably too weak/fragile to stand re-stitching appropriately, especially if put to use.
    Third option: If the original seats are nice enough to consider saving for preservation and the car in question is to be driven extensively, I'd recommend getting another pair of seats, either by making new frames with new foam and upholstery or buying a pair of those pre-made seats advertised/sold by Re-0riginals (and perhaps by other vendors ?).
    Timo

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would carefully remove and retain the original, and have an expert (like Tom Pocius, formerly of Symbolic) redo the seats, foam, etc. I think he did Nic Cage's California Spyder.

Doing the center only might look odd, and crumbling foam and leather isn't how the car was supposed to look/feel.

8. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Do you have contact information for Tom Pocius?

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Unfortunately, no. I ran into him up at a Porsche event at Dana Point, which was the first I'd heard that he was on his own.

10. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    You can send them to us! ;)

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  12. Tomax

Tomax Karting

Apr 27, 2004
    Do you actually do any work on these or you just have a flux-capacitor in the spray-garage? That Chevellle SS looks like it just rolled off the line as a special order as if yesterday was 1970.

13. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    We DID have a flux-capacitor for a while, but the government seized it in hopes of being able to fix the financial crisis....and then they scrapped it for the gold components. So now we really do have to work on them :)

14. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I recently did Classiche on my Daytona. I have owned my Daytona for 8 years and simply got bored of the interior (it was redone to a very high spec in the late 80's so it had some patina but was not original). In the process of Classiche I got a lot of information about my car and decided to put it back to dead stock. This meant complete recovering with guidance from Classiche on exactly how it left the factory. It came out amazing. I would post some pictures but I lent the car to Ferrari for their "museum tour of Asia" and the car has been travelling throughout China and is presently in Taiwan.

15. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    is Classiche gonna whine about my MSD boxes. did you re do your mousehair dash?

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Everything. I redid my mohair dash with mohair and it looks fantastic

17. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    i was the Classiche department of the Ferrari factory this AM! Even tho' don't have OEM Mohair, so what did you use and where did you get it? thanx. s

18. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Can't remember but I used the search function in fchat and had no problem buying the mohair. Suggest you use search just like I did

19. Scuderia Dino Torino

Feb 1, 2011
    100% correct mousehair for Daytonas and Dinos is available from Henk Van Lith ( HVL Exclusive Italian Interiors in The Netherlands, [email protected] ).
    Classiche should know and should "tell" it.
    Anything else available today is incorrect and/or looks out of place when seen on the car, believe me.
    I have no business connection at all but using HVL mousehair instead of others repros will save you a lot of wasted time and money (but I agree that until recently there were no perfect alternatives).

Best,
    Emanuele

20. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for the info. much appreciated, tho' I doubt I'll recover the dash. I'm only doing the seats 'cause I don't think the original leather can be salvaged and the foam is worse than toast. thanx. s