UFC and MMA Thread | Page 115 | FerrariChat

UFC and MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Highlow, Aug 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Last night's fights were so good! UFC fight night. I was so happy to see Alves back in the winning column! Poor Leben got whooped. It seems the cards that are not THE HUGE UFC PPV seem to have the much better (Fights).

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    It was quite an entertaining card. Etim's victory was a thing of beauty. As was Thiago's. He looked sharp and crisp, like the Alves of a couple of years ago.

I thought Diabate was going to KO Perosh, which is probably what would have happened if it stayed standing up. Perosh did a nice job of bringing the fight to his world. It was a nice finish.

Leben is like a robot......the way he moves forward, like a machine. Unfortunately, I don't see his skills growing much, I see him relying on his incredible chin mostly. To me, Munoz is more well rounded. It was entertaining to watch.

Did you see the ProElite fights? The ones I did watch were pretty boring. The only fight that had any excitement was Arlovski's KO kick to Fulton's head at the very last second of the fight. Boy, if Arlovski could regain some confidence, he could still be one of the better strikers in the HW division. He fought quite reserved in my opinion. Did you see Fulton's record........247 wins, 49 losses, 10 draws.........does this guy fight every week?!?!?

I had high hopes for BJ Penn's brother, but he gassed so quickly. He needs some major work on his cardio.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I TOTALLY Forgot about the ProElite fights. What channel was it on. I hope not HDNET. My cable provider took that channel away from us. Reagan Lost?????? Wow!!!!! I'm bummed about that.

4. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Yup, HDNet. You really didn't miss much at all. Compared to the UFC's event, it was a snoozer. LOL.....was funny, like after the 2nd round of Arlovski/Fulton, the commentator said that it seems we have found a cure for insomniacs..........

Reagan is certainly not his brother. I wasn't impressed.

You can probably catch whatever fights you want to see on MMA-Core.

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    MMA-CORE is the best kept secret. i always use it!

6. sportveloce

sportveloce Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    UFC on Fox this weekend - Cain Velasquez to win. I am guessing by decision.. I would be surprised if Dos Santos can get up in this one. I was surprised that Dos Santos could not stop Big Country.

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I doubt there will be a decision in this fight: someone's gonna hit the floor sleeping.
    Big Country has a tough chin- hard for anyone to KO him, beat him yes, but KO.... no.

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I would love to see Dos Santos KO Cain. And Henderson vs Guida???? Toss up, I guess I'd like to see Hendrson win..

9. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm really torn on this, as I like both guys. I am going with JDS, though, seems like such a good guy....
    Hendo v. Guida, I'm going Hendo for sure....

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I've underestimated Guida in the past, and often, he delivers in spades, so I am going to pick Guida. He did beat Pettis, who did beat Henderson.

As for the main event, man it's a tough one to pick. I'm going to go with Cain, even if he's been sitting on the sidelines for a while. It should be quite the war.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Wow! Dos Santos WRECKS Velasquez!!!! I did not see that coming!

I loved Guida / Henderson - need a 5 rounder there!

12. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    ^^^I agree with you 100%^^^ well said!

13. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    A little disappointing that the UFC's debut on network TV was over so quickly. I hope the eventual goal is to air entire main cards. It sucked to have to sit through so much crap for a minute of fighting. They should have had another fight to show. Also, FOX's theme music reminded me too much of football.

14. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I agree on all accounts. I was disappointed that there weren't any under card fights to start the night off. Couple that with the duration of the title bout and everyone I was watching with was pretty unimpressed.

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I was at the fights. Trust me you were better off not seeing most of the fights (boring). The fight of the.... Year? Henderson vs Guida. Now that's the fight that should have been televised!!!!!

16. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My wife and I were thinking "WTF, this sounds like we're watching a football game"
    Was very lame. The commenting was lame. Dana seemed like he was more upset that Cain lost the belt than JDS got it.
    It was a great fight, but a crappy way to kick off UFC on mainstream tv. I'd guess that people who've never watched UFC before watched it and thought "Boxing" and "it ended in 60 seconds..."
    That said, this is what it's gonna be for the next 7 years.... Seemed lame to me.

17. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Can't wait to see the inevitable Dos Santos vs. Overeem.

18. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Now That's a Fight!

19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    anybody else catch dana white's rant?

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, and I think it's best to say he should stay off camera unless it's to hype a fight. Basically insulting both fighters (Cain didn't shoot, Dos Santos known for getting tired) is not good for business - he's no analyst, that's for sure.

21. sportveloce

sportveloce Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    Your wish was granted! I did not expect Cain to be so rigid in his stand-up. He really looked like a wrestler. I must have had some Cain/Lesnar/KO'd mist happening.. Now I want to see JDS put a beat down on Lesnar!

The Guida/Henderson fight was exceptional.

22. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    To me, it was clear that Cain was experiencing some ring rust.........he was not fighting like the Cain that we have seen climb his way to the belt. Oh well, he lost, now he has to claw his way back to a title shot.

I think Overeem will absolutely destroy Lesnar. That guy is scary........he is as big and strong as any other HW, yet ripped. And his striking is off of the charts. If the fight to follow that is a title shot against JDS, it will be very interesting to see these 2 elite strikers go at it. I think Overeem would have the advantage because of his K-1 experience, using kicks.

Very interesting matchup coming up in Ben Hendo vs. Edgar. I truly believe Edgar is the most under rated Champ today. I am a huge believer in Edgar. The guy has been nothing but incredibly impressive. Insane head movement and footwork.

23. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Pick 'em;

UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson
    Date: Nov 19, 2011
    Venue: HP Pavilion
    Broadcast: Pay-per-view, Spike TV and Facebook

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua A classic "Pride" matchup. I like Shogun a lot, but like Hendo even more.
    Cung Le vs. Wanderlei Silva I love Wandy, but he is way past his due date. Time for him to retire with some grace.
    Brian Bowles vs. Urijah Faber Will be a very tough fight, but I think Faber's resilience will pay off.
    Martin Kampmann vs. Rick Story Personally, I think all of the hype about Story after he beat Alves was premature. He's a very good wrestler, but that is about it. I think Kampmann has the tools to win.
    Stephan Bonnar vs. Kyle Kingsbury Gotta love Bonnar! I'd like to see some success for him.

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Ryan Bader vs. Jason Brilz I think Bader will be very motivated to win this one.
    Michael McDonald vs. Alex Soto

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Tom Lawlor vs. Chris Weidman
    Nick Pace vs. Miguel Torres Torres is not being shown on Spike? Are you kidding me??? I'd much rather see his fight than either of the two being broadcasted on Spike.
    Rafael dos Anjos vs. Gleison Tibau
    Seth Baczynski vs. Matt Brown
    Shamar Bailey vs. Danny Castillo

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #2874 ag512bbi, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    WHAT an FUC*'EN CARD!!!!!
    Comm'on Shogun!!!! I have NEVER been a real fan of Henderson
    Go Wanderei I like Le but love Wandy!
    Go Urijah: BIG FAN!
    Kampmann got a tough test! Story had a bad rap last fight. Came off a 3 week rest.
    Bonnar, Love to see him win
    ...and agree with the rest with you.

25. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    me neither ... i really expected cain to stand longer, especially after his showdown he gave brock ... it showed he had what it took ...

WOW !!!