my 458, almost ONE year and 4,200 miles later.......... | FerrariChat

my 458, almost ONE year and 4,200 miles later..........

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by johns930, Nov 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    95% of my driving in the 458 are banzai apexing, braking, and fast hard miles. i dont go to the stores but its never been to a track either, but i would agree my weekly hill climbs are almost track like.
    my 458 is the best handling fcar in endless tight or fast hairpins driving, bar none. actually its the best and most rewarding ever! when it starts to feel boring, i go faster,..... problem solved!!
    because of the compliant suspension and all the electronic wizardry i can do anything to it and it would be fine (fingers crossed) leaving me feeling like superman.

But maybe because my 458 is a 1st production year model, it has problems...
    1st, theres the battery circuit board fuse, which left me stranded. I was lucky that it failed parking in my garage, imagine if i was in the middle of no where!! seeing a new car towed and out of service for a week wasnt fun.

Then my transmission lost reverse, 2nd, and 6th gears on 2 occasions in the last 2 months. One of which when i was backing into a space but cant find reverse, extremely freaked out if i cant get outta there. Both times the transmission fixed itself after it was parked for 5 to 10 minutes after restarting. Not fun. I still have yet to go in and do a detailed check, but some say they experienced this and replaced transmissions but i hope mine problems arent that extreme.

Windshield fluid gets doused all over the hood during fast cornering and there is a plastic filter on top of the reservior, dealer cant just suck the solution out. So for the first few months i had to live with soapy water across the hood on my drives till the washer fluid finally ran low enough not to spill out. Now i have to tell dealer NOT to add that which is an annoyance really.

One of my Exhaust valves stuck open, so its always LOUD. this is an equivalent to the "golf tee" mod people do to their valves. I hated it at first, but now have grown to love it. But i do notice that i lost some "pick up and go" from standing starts. Dealer however was great in getting me a new exhaust in couple weeks, but now im just postponing the change because i like the obtrusive noise.

Center vents has developed a buzz humming noise when cruising with throttle input, its not that annoying or loud but its a sign that fcars still can get rattley down the road but it fairs much better than my 430s so far.

Throttle response is twichy like most have observed, but i dont drive slow enough to experience much of that. Just keep it floored and no problems.

and after visiting the factory this year, i learn to ease off the options on the next one. because overpaying for their logistics doesnt seem right, but then again i will make sure my next will be extravagant......., which means more options, .......sigh............

I cant possibly imagine the awesomeness of the 2012 458 and spiders with the improved ECU mapping for throttle and suspenion settings, it will keep mclaren and GT whatevers at bay for quite some time. because my ***** really feels perfect when attacking any mountain.

heres some pictures of the mighty 458, mine is the white one :

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/rennpository-video-clips-and-other-in-line-videos/619201-matt-458-a.html

2. smsalsuwaidi

smsalsuwaidi Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    Abu Dhabi - UAE
    im surprised with the flaws you are stating , do they seem to get in your way a lot any make you hate the car ?

3. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    #3 Hakan458, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
    Sorry hear you've had so many problems. It's the hard and fast drivers that usually experience more problems, but that's how you should be driving it.

Hope things go better from here on out! Good luck and enjoy your car.

And also, I love your interior. Daring, but it works. Red interior with white exterior looks fantastic. I also like the blue seat belts!

4. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Compared to a Lexus, yes it's flawed, but it's a Ferrari so u forgive it somehow.

5. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My 458 is a year old today and has done 21,000km (approx 13,000 miles) and the car has only ever visited the dealer for routine servicing. It's my first Ferrari after 3 Lambos and I'm astounded at the reliability, especially as it is a new model. :)

6. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Cool write up. It's also great to hear you are really enjoying the car. I like your interior too, mine is just plain black :D

Who owns the grey one? That is a really subtle colour but makes the car more handsome. :)

7. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    do the same with all my others, i think its the issue of being the 1st year blues.

8. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
  9. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    I think I learned something here, buy a new model after a year or two after it was introduced so most likely, they've ironed out some of the things.....

10. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    MIne to is a year old and currently at Algar for some Ferrari 2012 upgrades and routine 1 year service. I only have 1800 miles on it but my 2011 hasn't had a single problem. I have had quite a few cars and this one in by far my favorite.

11. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    sorry I meant updates not upgrades,

12. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

..and let the price drop b/c paying $40,000 as a paint option is vulgarly ridiculous.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's interesting as so far, I haven't experienced any of this in the 2012. Maybe they updated the cars as problems started to occur.

I believe the gearbox problem was with getrag and some kind of internal cable problem. It's not a mechanical problem.

I know they made changes to the battery fuse. I don't know the specifics.

I would not describe my throttle response as "twitchy" at all. So, maybe they changed the ECU software. I wonder if you should ask your dealer for updates? There's a new update for the gearbox that is available that gives it more "snap" in race mode.

Its too bad you've had problems though. I hope they sort it out for you. At least you drive it like a demon!

14. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Is the other one Grigio Opaco?

15. -EZtrader-

-EZtrader- Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    I can definitely relate to the throttle twitchiness. It drives me crazy when driving 'legal' speeds.

16. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Jim,

Let us know what specific 2012 updates that Algar gets done for your 2011 458.

Several of us have been waiting to see what exactly they are going to allow to be updated on the 2010 and 2011 models.

We all know there are several fairly significant updates that were made for the 2012 MY, the mystery so far is what that is going to mean for pre 2012 MY cars:)

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes...

18. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #18 ferrariKP, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    +1

Thats what I have concerned so far. Obviously, there are more who experienced this trouble :(

19. hkoh77

hkoh77 Karting

Nov 8, 2007
    Seoul, Korea
    I had the same exhaust problem. Dealer replaced mine. I miss the "loud" sound though.

20. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    yes, we all love to know, because so far my dealer dont know what im talking about, they dont even have the software upgrade for the left speedo and others....

21. buzduz74

buzduz74 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Buzz Marcus
    [QI drive my Pozzi Blue Ferrari as it should be and have had minor problems in the 9000 miles on my 2011. Now it has developed a BANG in the rear on shifting from 1st to second flat out. This happens only at FULL throttle.
    Any ideas??
    Buzz

22. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The 2,4,6,R problem sounds like it involves the clutch that actuates the gears on the particular shaft that carries those gears (as opposed to the 1,3,5,7 shaft that is activated by the other clutch). I doubt if it is the clutch itself, much more likely a mechanical linkage (as has been suggested) or an electrical/computer problem. If it is intermittent it is probably the latter.