360 F1 bucking in first | FerrariChat

360 F1 bucking in first

Discussion in '360/430' started by docf, Nov 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had to put my 360 2003 Modena F1 away for a year due to a personal injury. My car was stored properly and was brought to service again yesterday . Put almost 250 high speed miles on it yesterday and everything was great at highway speeds and above and then in traffic , however I had issues in heavy traffic once off the highway as bucking in first occasionally occurred on start off. Did I forget how to drive or is a service needed? There was no problems with it shifting back to neutral etc. If I just nailed it no buck, just beautiful sounds and nice power. My concern is next weekend going to treat her to a 300 plus trip and a car show, but do not want to risk damage to the clutch.
    Docf

2. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    I get that sometimes, 360 has a very touchy throttle in 1st gear. F1 trans. I am guessing?
    Learning how much throttle to give takes a while, especially at take off to keep it smooth.

3. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the reply Mattyrae as makes me feel better. Maybe in heavy traffic was starting off too timid .

4. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    To preserve clutch life I always apply very light throttle and make sure I get full clutch engagement before applying heavy throttle. Just shift around 2-3k rpm to 2nd and then if you want to let er rip then go full throttle. You will also find if your car is warmed up, the shift from 1st to 2nd is much smoother if you shift at those RPM's. Also check that you have your car in sport mode, shifting speed and smoothness will be much better.

Glad I could help, post some pics of your upcoming road trip, it's really cold here so I can live vicariously through you until Spring arrives. :)

5. Dougb450

Dougb450 Rookie

Jun 8, 2010
    Full Name:
    DougB
    I get the same bucking in first gear at times in my 360. The action itself is caused by your foot moving out of sync with the acceleration/deceleration of the car. It's a driver induced oscillation of sorts. It's most prevalent if and when:

The F1 is cold. Once warm, this issue seems less likely.
    You don't consciously hold your foot steady as a rock.
    You position the throttle in one particular spot, that I have yet to reliably avoid at all times.
    You start off on a incline or curve.

The solution is to immediately upshift or get off the gas. Upshifting leads to less embarrassment, ha!

Doug
    2004 360 F1

6. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    yep.. happens in my F430 sometimes.. and in other computer controlled clutches I think.. coz it happened with my M3 SMG as well.

Just upshift or let go of gas as mentioned.. get out of 1st quickly.

7. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The best way to as mentioned is to apply light throttle and even back off the gas pedal until clutch is fully engaged. With the F1 trans, clutches are usually eaten up to improper driving especially from a stand still. You should take a mirror and check that the trans mount has not torn because you will get more bucking when shifting at higher rpms. This will caused engine mounts to fail prematurely.

If it keeps bucking, then the clutch might be glazed or depending on when the clutch was changed, you might need a new one.

Ciao,
    Jon

8. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    short shift into second. It's the only positive way I have seen for getting rid of that jerkiness on the 1-2 shift.

The throttle input from the pedal is only a suggestion with the DBW. The ecu still controls the actual throttle body and it actually wigs out a little right there even if you are constant on the pedal. I notice it much more now as it's also where the turbos start to spool.

Justin

9. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I've driven a manual and F1 360 and experienced that in both cars. I figured maybe the first gear is smaller and therefore more sensitive and I just wasn't used to it???

10. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    I think this problem is fairly common with single clutch transmissions of all types. I have experienced this problem on a few occasions and even recently after the clutch was checked and had its sensor replaced. The bucking only occurs in first gear and stops if you let up on the pedal or shift to second. I have a theory that the jumpiness happens when you are slowing to a stop, then suddenly accelerate- just a theory. The same hiccup occurs in the other single clutch systems in the M series BMWs with SMG.

11. Masher44

Masher44 F1 World Champ

Jan 15, 2008
    Ha! Its operator error!!! :) seriously, happens often.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    When I let one of my friends drive my 2003 F-1 360, he had bucking problems too. His first time driving a 360.

I quickly suggested shifting to second gear which solved the problem.

Later he was in first again and had more bucking. Told him not to try to modulate to correct because that usually just perpetuates the bucking. That helped smooth things.

My guess is that you had forgotten how to drive smoothly in first gear since you had been away from the car, and not a mechanical malfunction.

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    See what happens this weekend as going to show the car at the Festival of Speed. Think what I am going to try is if I'm in 1st and it starts in slow traffic pull both paddles back then procede as you would with a clutch car or as suggestion quick shift to second if underway??

Docf

14. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Changed my shifting and foot work by imagining it was a stick and no more bucking! Tomorrow will post some pictures of the Festival of Speed Orlando attended today with the 360.

Docf

15. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Uh, the red one? :)

16. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You are good Mattyrae. Have nice day! Docf

17. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Lol, pretty easy when the cars around it were not 360's. An F430, a 458, and the one on the road was a 550/575.

18. dentaldoc

dentaldoc Rookie

Apr 20, 2008
    You should always start out in full automatic anthen switch over to manual. If my memory jogs me correctly, the 360 CS did not have this option, but it is deffinatly on the SCUD.

19. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    No, no, no, not necessary. Bringing up the CS and or the Scud does not help the OP when he owns neither.