TPMS | FerrariChat

TPMS

Discussion in '360/430' started by blackbolt22, Oct 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Took the 430 in for annual service. Faulty TPMS reading also. I know it's the front right bc it reads 0 pressure as I go through them all.

I had another issue as well. Anyway, TPMS isn't repaired yet but I saw invoice. $375 to replace. Does this sound right? Any other alternative?

2. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I haven't taken the car in to address this so I can't comment on the $375. However, mine is NEVER accurate. I carry around an analog gauge for this reason. I have used more than gauge and the readings are the same. The TPMS system is crap at best. I'm not sure how many others have the same problem. As long as the light doesn't come up on the dash it doesn't bother me.

07 F430 coupe.

3. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    $96 at TireRack, but you'll still have to pay to have them installed.

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson

I wouldn't care except the error light is on.

5. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    How did they break down the $375 charges? Sounds a little high but I cant say for sure. Isnt the TPMS sensor alone around $125? How much they say for labor?

6. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    As far as I know it's possible to disable the system and eradicate the warning light. That's what I'd do anyway.

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Much better than 375. I will call them tomorrow.

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I asked the service adviser this question via email and didn't get a response. If I have the unit installed at a tire shop, will the computer have to be reset to eliminate that god-awful error code light ?

9. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm afraid I cannot help you with that query. I understand you can disable the system entirely though......

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140629309&postcount=52

10. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I decided to go for the Stack TPM system which also has temperature readings. Costs about $2500 plus installation, but I hear it is very good. One nice feature is sensors that do not require batteries. I am going to install the gauge in the center A/C vent, if that looks strange I will have a custom leather pod built and installed under the climate control. The Stack system also allows you to switch between three tire sets, I am planning to setup track tires, a pothole season set and new Bridgestone S-04's on my good rims. I have been back to the dealer six times in six months for tpms issues, although always covered by warranty. Got used to having TPM's on my old RUF and wouldn't want to go without them on this car.

11. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sensors that don't require batteries? How are they powered?

12. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #12 Brambleworth, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, will check it out.

14. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I ordered a sensor from Tire Rack for my late build (November) 07 430. Cost was $96. Cost $30 to install at local tire place. It did not solve the problem. It doesnt' bother me that one of the damn things doesn't work but the 'service tire' error message in my face constantly was making me postal.

My independent mechanic informed me that the dealer has to set each sensor while connected to their computer. Hence, a dealer only job. Took it back to dealer, again.

I learned today that newer build cars have a different system which automatically detects the new sensors. Apparently it doesn't have to be calibrated by their computer. 2005 to midyear or so 2007s have a different system which has to be calibrated at the dealer. Also, I asked if entire system could be bypassed. Answer: no. On older models it was possible. The dealer was able to correct problem while I waited. The job took between 15-20 minutes.

So $456.89 later, problem is solved.
    1 hr labor $155.00
    Sensor $245.86
    Misc shop costs (extra profit) $30.17
    Tax $25.86

Since I'm so clever, I assume 2008 and 09 models would have a different part # from Tire Rack than 07 models and earlier. This way I could save a little money if another one goes bad. So I called them. Same part # for year 07 and 08!! I informed them that sensor will not work and filled them in on my problem. I suggested they make a notation. They said they would do so. I am returning the part to Tire Rack.

Moral of the story. Go to dealer to correct TPMS problems.

15. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Glad you eventually had the problem corrected. I have learned that a trip to the dealer is never cheap. I had them try to disable my sensors and they could only do that by getting a proxy from the factory. They said the last time they got a proxy for something it cost $2K but they didn't know if the factory might provide it for free for this. I didn't have time to stick around for this so they didn't go ahead with it.

Sucks that they charged an hour labour for 20 mins of work though.

16. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    #16 LamboRider, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Thank you.
    How long did you get out of the TPMS which failed? What are their typical lifespans?

http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Ferrari_430_TPMS_Sensors_s/1546.htm

17. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    The car is a Nov 07 build and it went bad at the time of the initial post. Fortunately another one has not failed.

I hope I don't regret saying that.