Engine running rough. | FerrariChat

Engine running rough.

Discussion in '308/328' started by nugget, Nov 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    I have a 328. I drive it about every 3 weeks or so, have had it for almost 10 years. 6 weeks ago I started it and it ran rough for about 2 minutes. It was like it had bad gas. I pushed the pedal and it spuddered like it was going to stall so let off. On it's own it cleared up. I drove it for 60 miles and it drove great. 2 weeks ago the same thing happened. It sat for 3 weeks, had a little less than a quarter tank. It took almost 20 minutes at idle in the driveway then on it's own it smoothed out. I drove it to the gas station to get gas and it drove great.
    What could be causing this? Could it be as simple as I need to drive it more? Could it be a cracked distributer cap or something with the spark plugs (they are only 1 year old with 1300 miles on them). What signs would you have if an engine was running lean? Any thoughts? Where I live makes it tough to take it in to get checked out. Thanks, Glen

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    US or euro version 328?

If it's a US version 328, check if the frequency valve (aka metering valve) is "buzzing" during the good running and not buzzing during the bad running (you should be able to tell just by touching it). If that matches your symptom, most likely your protection relay is getting flaky.

3. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    It is a US version. Where exactly is the metering valve?

4. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
  5. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Thanks. I will see if that is making a noise.

6. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Drive the car more! Jeez!

7. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    This precisely what mine did. The protection relay was dropping out occasionally. The touch test is very definitive.

8. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Check and replace that valve if required but definitely drive it more :)

9. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Could be you cold start injector

10. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I suggest starting with a fuel pressure test to determine if the warm-up regulator is holding correct pressures. My car had exactly the same symptom and it had low control fuel pressure. I replaced the WUR and the bogging down after starting disappeared instantly. Proper control pressure is the key to many CIS issues. It's an simple test but requires special gauge and valve rig; under $100.

Here's a primer on the FP test:
    http://ferrari.cdyn.com/carl_rose_docs/Ferrari%20328%20CIS%20Fuel%20Pressure%20Check%20with%20Pixs.pdf