Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Stan

The compressor motor for the air horns and I think both washer motors (windscreen and headlamp) are under the front fender in front of the wheel. Certainly if any of these are running because of some wiring or switch fault,the battery will be run down.

A QP III with electrical problems!! Hard to believe.....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

2. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #52 c20500, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, they are under the right front. Sometimes you can check for drain by feeling for heat in the relays.... just be careful. My car was draining in a few days from the Door lock relay ( was really warm ) When I pulled it, the battery stop draining so somewhere in that circuit had a short.... and don't be misled by the relay that keeps the interior lights on as it will be warm from the door being open.....

3. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    Larry,

You were exactly right about the compressor motor for the horns. I've been having issues with the horn button on the end of the left stalk. Apparently it was contacting enough to trigger the compressor, but without atually blowing the horn. I removed that end piece, and the car accepted the battery charger with no problem. A short charge, and the car started right up and drives fine. Just need the get those contact points in the handle set correctly.

Should there be a spring in there, like a pen spring in a retractable ball point pen?

I love FChat - lots of good technical info to deal with these quirkly loveable cars.

Thanks
    Stab

4. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Can anyone point me to the right transmission overhaul/rebuild kit?

TCI offers the 149000 and 149300 sets, but both are specified as being for the non-lock up version (I wasn't aware there was a non-lockup 727 between 1978 and 1981....). I've found several others, most of which include a plethora of extra "performance" parts (bands, servos, etc) but don't specify which transmission version (from JW, SMR, etc).

As far as I know (i.e. I haven't yet removed the transmission) all I need is a set of new seals, gaskets & rings, along with new clutch discs and steels. I'll also install a shift kit, the TransGo TF-2, which I've located.

Cheers,
    Thor

5. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Dear All

I have chatted before on where to get my ZF rebuilt and sadly all the great help is sealed in my crashed SONY VIAO computer. I am talking to you on my new MacBook Air - vive la difference.

That said, I need a place to redo my ZF. When idling it sounds like a grumbling washing machine, when the clutch is depressed it quieter, when selecting 3rd it sometimes takes the gearstick lever but does not connect with the gear. Anyway, the options were ZF who agreed to do it; and someone who recommended their German expert who had agreed to do it. Anyway, I welcome all help and thoughts!

Ciao

Wm

6. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #56 c20500, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone remove the header from the car? I recall someone commenting on that it's a PITA.... is it possible without lifting the engine or head? Need to pull the driver side for repairs/or replacement due to a leak (luckily I have a spare set)

appreciate any experiences in its removal. I have pulled the heads on a qIII but I recall just leaving the headers to the side... I hope I don't have to remove the rack/steering or the head again!

Thanks a bunch

Here are a few photos of some things being done/completed (teardown of 727 transmission, 3 flange header coupling replacing the olive/doughnut connection-yes I will cut the bolts to size later-, and replacement of rear resonator mufflers with a straight pipe-nice little drone below 2,000 rpm to scare other cars away.)

Charles
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi Charles,

sorry I can't help you with the answer to your header question, but I can tell you I have the same straight pipe under the front driver/passenger seat - no muffler or cat present. It does make quite a nice rumble, I have to say :).

I'm going to call a few parts places in the morning and get my overhaul kit ordered, am really looking forward to getting it done.

Is it difficult to remove/install the transmission and torque converter from the car? Any caveats or tips you'd like to share to make it go that much easier?

Thanks!
    Thor

8. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Very straight forward trans removal. Drive shaft didn't even have to come out. Nothing weird. The cooler lines were very hard and brittle so figure replacing those while you're at it.

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi William

I remember your posts about the problems with the ZF gearbox. I have been wondering about the outcome. I kept thinking about posting and asking what was the resolution. It seems as there is no resolution yet. You must operate on my time frame...;>)

I was really interested in finding out what was wrong. I have done a couple of these gearboxes. They were in Aston DB6's. I would have thought that the UK would be the place to have service done on these units. The last DB6 that was here needed a clutch. I got parts from the UK. I think it was "Aston Workshops". They seemed to on top of everything Aston. I still get e-mails from them now and then. I will try to confirm the name and contact information for them.

Aloha
    Larry

10. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Larry

Ha ha. I have been preoccupied with work and getting some bits in order which have finally moved forward.

Anyway, I found a place here that will do the gearbox so I will get it out and over to them asap.

I will keep you posted.

11. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Charles

The header is not all that bad of a job. I mentioned removing the lower steering shaft and u-joint in my e-mail. I don't know if removing this is essential. Mine was already out because the steering column needed to be removed in order to get the dash out. The absence of the lower shaft did give more room to get one's hand and arm in there with a wrench and it gave more room to maneuver the header in and out. There is NO need to disturb the head nor the steering rack. Jacking the engine up a little does help.

Aloha
    Larry

12. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    HI

I was looking at the MIE new door seals but they are black not brown. What do you recommend to redo the seals? I want to put all new in the windows, doors and trunks. Also the hard rubber seals at the bottom of the window that keeps the junk from going down the glass and into the door. What do you think?

13. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Larry, and all:

Thank you very much for the advice. I have some leaks and am trying to weld up some spots. I have a spare set so if it cant be welded in place then I'll pull and replace them.

I replaced the rear hub bearings today... once I figured out how it was assembled, it wasn't too bad... I took the hub to a shop to have it pounded out/outer bearing cut off(impossible to pull off) and put back together again. Took care of the vibration I had on the fwy!
    Regards,

Charles

14. fortee9er

fortee9er Karting

Jun 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jorge Garcia
    A few years ago I replaced the ball joints on my 1982 QP III with Porsche 928 ball joints. I found this in a parts X ref file in the old Maserati Yahoo group. Can't remember who I ordered them from but they were very reasonable.

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Jorge...

Can you supply the part number for the Porsche 928 ball joints you used??
    Could be useful to some of us down the road...

Thanks...

Mike

16. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #66 c20500, Nov 10, 2011
  17. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    Previous postings about horn contacts keeping compressor running and draining battery were spot on.

Now trying to fix horn button (end of stalk) and contacts.

Is there supposed to be a spring in there, like a large retractable-pen spring? My '84 QP III does not have one. Is there anything else needed besides button with male end, and female end of 2 copper prongs mounted to turn signal stalk?

Thanks again
    Stan

18. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #68 c20500, Nov 18, 2011
    The pen type springs are only in the turn signal button cams as I recall. There is a single ball bearing that is used as a pivot fulcrum for the high beams on the end of the stalk that goes were the two strakes are located. Tension is by the metal contacts for the highbeams. I remember a longer flat metal spring steel that makes contact when you push the horn stalk in but no coil spring. The wire coming out of stalk at the fulcrum point is a very weak point (mine was broken off)

Regards

19. Thestash

Thestash Karting

May 8, 2011
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony Pistachio
    #69 Thestash, Nov 20, 2011
    I've decided to check the rear wheel bearings. They are shot! Does anybody have any suggestions on where to find replacements? I only see front bearings on MaseratiNet dot com.
    TIA
    Tony
    Attached are some pics of the job.

20. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Rears are all available on ebay at reasonable prices. The factory manual has an error listing the same cups/races for both outer and inner.

JLM506810, jlm104948, jlm506849, JLM104910 One each needed for each side.

Just make sure when you pull them that the numbers match up.

I just reused the seals after carefully removing them.

21. Thestash

Thestash Karting

May 8, 2011
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony Pistachio
    Thanks a lot for the info!

22. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Inner cone: JLM 104948
    Outer cone: JLM 506849
    Inner cup: JLM 104910
    Outer cup: JLM 506810

grease seal National 47203, 47283/ D16Y-1190A(this is a Ford number)

Above bearings same as rear de Tomaso Pantera and Longchamp.

23. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Charles

I wanted to say thanks for the great tip you offered on the odometer gear. I opened up my instrument cluster and there was nothing that looked like a gear, just a small patch of reddish / brown dust.....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

24. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Yep, very easy to source. I got mine at a NAPA auto part store. They are Timken bearings (which are made in the USA). Just take yours in and presto.....

Mike

25. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Larry,

I was told that they made that gear soft to make it silent/quiet... Pretty easy to deal with once the cluster is out! I've pulled the exhaust manifold... twice and is wasn't bad at all. 1st to pull the bad one and then another to refit new gaskets...

Charles