Buick Grand National/GNX spotters thread | FerrariChat

Buick Grand National/GNX spotters thread

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by texasmr2, Nov 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #1 texasmr2, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was waiting at the light exiting my neighborhood yesterday and spotted a sweet Grand National pass by and watched to see if he was turning which he did, thankfully I did not have to chase him down lol.

So he pulls into my local O'Rielly and I catch him as he is about to walk in and we talk for about 15min's and it turned out that he lives just a few blocks over from me in my neighborhood. I drool over these cars and unfortunately I cannot find the pics of a daily driver GNX I saw each morning on my way to school at the police academy. Anyway here are some pics of the Grand National I would like to share and the engine is fully built with alot of extra goodies, crazy thing is the kid bought the car from the original owner 'as is' for the paltry sum of only $11K!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I think those are ccw classics so if it came with those it had 4k worth of wheels and tires.

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    My neighbor has a bone stock Regal T-Type that he has owned for many years. He is pretty active within the turbo Buick community and thinks that it is shame that there aren't more stock examples left of these cars. Most get upgraded turbos and transmissions.

Beautiful car.

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #4 Mule, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
    I am 1/2 of the way to my dream garage...GNX next. Black 328 and black GNX; I don't want anything else.

T-Types, GN, GNX, Monte Carlo SS, Hurst Olds (with Lightning Rods shifters) all from that time frame are awesome cars. You don't see many on the street.

5. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    Thats nice! I love GN/GNXs , would like to get one , one day ...or at least a TTA.

6. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    Great Thread :)

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I had half of my garage - 240Z and E-Type, but sold the 240Z. Wouldn't mind a GN though!

8. jonathanp

jonathanp Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Peck
    #8 jonathanp, Nov 23, 2011
  9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thats what I like to hear!!!! Now my next goal will be convincing the guy to not only give me a ride but let me drive it (both will pop my GN cherry) lol!

I love these cars and will hopefully be a proud owner some day.

I'm so into the same cars aswell and seeing one on the street is a true joy for me.

10. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Last one I saw was in DC a couple years ago on 7th street.

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I was in San Antonio a few months ago, and pulled up next to a GN. I honked and gave him a thumbs up. His wife/girlfriend in the passenger seat sort of gave him that look, "Oh no, there's more like you."

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thats funny!!!

13. TurboRegal84

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    #13 TurboRegal84, Nov 24, 2011
    Gregg,

Where do you live? If you ever find yourself in the NJ/Philadelphia area send me a message! My car does not come out often but I'd be more than happy to get your started off on the right foot with a ride in my GNX!

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Beauty and the beast. Love it.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    which one is which? :)

and which is faster...GNX or a 550 bhp, AWD Bentley?

16. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I love Buick Grand Nationals. I went for a ride in one a few years ago and the damn thing almost made me swallow my own tongue. I always knew they were fast, but it was different once you were inside one!

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'll never forget the first time I drove one. I was a valet back when these were introduced, and it was New Year's eve (very cold out). The cold weather makes the car perform better, I mashed the throttle, and it didn't go anywhere.

Confused, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw nothing but smoke - from the tires! I kid you not...once it hooked, it went quick - EXTREMELY QUICK.

Loved it...and I want one of these now!

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I'm in Houston and thank you for your kind offer, if I'm ever up that way I will definitely get in touch with you. I'll make a pass by my neighbors house soon and that could lead to a GNX ride as I'm fairly certain his is a member of a local club.

19. TurboRegal84

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    The Turbo Buicks definitely have a different feeling when you hit the GO pedal. Their horsepower numbers are impressive however the torque is what provides the crazy acceleration feeling. Once that turbo spools your in for a ride!

20. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    #20 Reece, Nov 25, 2011
  21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Awesome, is it a dd? Back in the late '80s I saw this one GNX on a daily basis driven by a middle aged woman and then there is the GNX I mentioned previously. Its nice to know that some owners still use them and don't hide them away.

22. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

What number is this car?

23. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I bought a new Grand National in 1986. I actually bought 2 of them off the showroom floor, my first one in 86 with the digital dash and the electronic AC, no T-Top and a 1987 model with T-top and analog dash, analog AC. I've thought many times of buying another when I have some extra money.

They can still be had for $16k-$18k in reasonably good condition if you're patient. Some people are a little out of reality on price, though. For their time they were very fast. I also had an 85 Corvette at the time and I could handily beat that up to around 110mph and then the Vette would just go flying by. Great car but you won't beat a new LS3 Corvette with a stock GN ot T-Type. High 13 second car at best in its day when the weather was really cold. Warm weather, warm engine, stock, it was a 14+ second car...still faster than the Vette and pretty much everything else in the later 80s. I do know they would struggle to beat stripped down Mustang LXs back then. The turbo Trans Am should also be thrown in the mix...

I saw a very low mileage (under 1,000 mile) GNX sell at auction earlier this year in Zephyrhills, FL for around $50k.

24. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    I don't think this one is a daily driver, but there is one I see about an hour away from my dad's house with American Racing rims and it's a daily driver. It's pretty cool that the owner uses real cars as daily drivers.

25. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA
    Awesome thread, if I could add a GN and a 92 Firehawk my garage would be set.