Replica watches | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Replica watches

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ryankjb, Oct 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very good, thanks for sharing. Seems a lot better than I thought. :)

If I do buy a Rolex or any other big dollar watch, I will have no intention of selling it. Which is why I want to make 100% sure I would wear it and enjoy it.

The replicas vary from $100 up to $300. And I understand what you're saying, $200 a year is $2000 over 10 yrs and 10 watches.

That would be money down the drain for sure.

My plan is keep these replicas till they die then toss them in the bin. I won't re-buy replicas of the ones I just had because I now know if I want the real version of it.

And the only one I want out of the 3 of mine is a real Panerai. I will get me a replica Rolex and try that over the next 3 yrs *or till it dies*

If I don't like it, I will then get the Wife to buy me a Panerai for our 10 yr anniversary. That or another watch I may try in the meantime. Plenty to choose from and plenty of time. :)

2. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Which brand is this watch, nice.

3. JohnLClark

JohnLClark Karting

May 15, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Just clicked on the link for watcheden and my antivirus protection said it was a dangerous site. Shame that Tag looked nice.

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I reccommend turning off your Antivirus protection and buy that Tag! ;);)

5. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Anyone purchased from Watcheden recently since all the legal problems?

6. Mowgli

Mowgli Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2009
    Bristol, CT
    On my second order since then and have had no problems so far. They have great customer service. But I have yet to have a problem AFTER shipping. So I can not comment about that.

7. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Zenith Defy Xtreme

b

8. Nick360

Nick360 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    Not a problem worked out fine. Got my watch in a timely manner (no pun intended)

9. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    isn't it a bit hypocritical that some replica watch owners would bash replica car owners?

Just wondering not bashing anyone, more of a question is why are the two different when one is frowned upon, but there both the same thing... replicas?

10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #760 joker57676, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    Watcheden.com is now down, domain has apparently been seized by the feds. I have no doubt it will be back up shortly though.

Mark

Edit: The site is up and running as Watcheden.biz.

11. Nick360

Nick360 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    #761 Nick360, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    No not really. There are many uses for replica watches. I have one as a "back up", some want to test the style of the watch and other simply like the look of the watch but don't want to spend that much on a real version. Here is the truth, replica watches look good, replica cars don't. I am not running around yelling LOOK AT MY ROLEX, if you own a Ferrari replica you are doing that. The Watch is sitting on my wrist usually under a jacket or so and not visible from a mile away.

Car replicas 99% of the time crappy Watches replicas are not.

I wore my replica today instead of the real toy and no one noticed anything. Some times i don't want to wear my real watch as I don't trust it there or am afraid something will happen. If you put the two watches next to each other you can easily see the imperfections on the 108 watch but that's negligible enough. I love the Sub alot.

12. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Personally, I tend to agree with 458Beast. If replica Ferraris looked 95% legit, would they be okay? Why is driving a Ferrari replica any more "look at me" then wearing a fake watch? A $20 timex tells time as well as a $200 fake rolex.

13. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Interesting thread you guys have here.

To preface I am kind of a watch guy. So replica watches are not high on my list.

Watches for me. Represent me. They represent my personality for the day. They represent my love for an instrument hand crafted by a person or company with sometimes 100's of years of heritage. They represent an industry that is so finite they can make watches that will tell exact time and date for 100's of years without ever being reset.

The complications or non complications all have a place in this world. From a simple hand wound jewel made by a 4th generation family member to a complication PP that might take almost a year in process.

How do you not get Excited about what these people do? Wonder how the hell they do it and just marvel at the intense depth each holds.

Watches are the closest extension of my personality I have and therefor I look forward to every choice I make and what watch I wear.

Replicas are none of this. They represent everything on the other end of the scale. I don't wear my watches for anyone but myself. Replicas are only worn for others to view. I don't for one second believe people have these for anything but please look at me and my watch. That's all it can be. You are not wearing the watch for what these watches are supposed to be about.

PAP wearing the Rolex that you and your wife are discussing should be about 2 things only in my book.

Your passion for watches which I can tell you have. This passion you have because of your constant viewing and discussion in these forums and your love of your precision Fcar another awesome engineering feat. Passion bred from your knowledge of the instrument itself and it's insides. Watches do this to alot of people. Watches are fricking cool.

The 2nd and most important in your story above. This watch. This Rolex you want so dearly is a gift from someone more important than anything to you. That watch will mean something to you in 30 years and to your kids or grand kids in 60 years.

That my friend is what this watch represents. Precision and Love from the women you spend your life with.

Do you want a fake on your wrist representing this?

It's not about if the 10-50k watch on your wrist will be worth 10-50k in 30 years it's about the love of a craft that is just amazing. Don't buy these watches for resale. Buy these watches because these watches are just awesome.

Pap. Go back. Try that watch on and walk around a bit. Let your bride see it on you. Get a solid feel for the watch. Knowing she wants this for you will make the 10k or whatever entry point seem like 5 bucks if it's the right watch for the right reason.

14. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    fair enough

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice post, thanks for sharing your thoughts mate. :)

I don't actually intend to wear these replicas for the rest of my life. I am hoping to wear them long enough to enjoy the feel and style of them before committing BIG bucks on real versions of them. :)

I'm not that rich to throw $20K-$100K around on a few wrist watches. Well, I can if I really want..........but that money is best invested elsewhere in my case.

I will let Nicole buy me a good watch as she really wants to do this for me because she knows I share a passion for fine watches like most here do. But as for which brand, we will see which I enjoy wearing the most.

I can't go back to that shop anytime soon. We visited that shop while we were on holidays a few weeks ago and it's around 1000 miles from here. :eek:

I keep favouring the Panerai replica I have, (wore it all these days off) so I may have Nicole buy me one of those. It will be for our 10 yr anniversary in 4 yrs time.

So I have plenty of time to see which watch I will enjoy wearing, but most of all................which watch I will love and treasure for the rest of my life because it was given to me by the most important person in my life. :eek::eek:

Thanks again mate.

16. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Pap-

I think the issue many of us have is NOT the legal or moral issues- frankly who cares... It's the fact that wearing a replica watch is "pretending" to own the real thing.

You can dress it up any way you want- but Invicta and Stuhrling make every single expensive watch style- replicated faithfully, but the do NOT copy the brand name. When I glance over at a guy's wrist in First Class and see a Panerai I don't think about it for a second. When I look at a guy's wrist at the local "casual dining" restaurant and he's wearing a panerai, driving a 7 year old Saab and wearing a hairpeice- I assume its a fake. And I know he's wearing a fake because he spends the entire meal staring at my watch. Only rep owners do that.

You can preview the look, style and weight of ANY of these watches with a legal, readily available, warranted watch without having to resort to wiring money to a copyright thief in China.

For those who just want to fool their friends and neighbors into thinking they have an expensive wristwatch- enjoy.

I have owned many, many "Canal Street" replicas. I bought them to fool friends and clients into thinking I had more money than I did. That was the real reason- I liked expensive watches and liked people thinking I had one even though i could not afford one. Now I have a handful of decent genuine watches and guess what- They always tell the correct time- they never leak when I swim with them, and I can bring them for service at the local watch shop without worry.

17. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    BTW I'd prefer you didn't buy a Rolex. That's my least favorite of every brand sold today. They are just like owning a replica real watch in my book :)

Pam's are a great piece. They feel right. Look good and their design is their own. I like this in a watch. Pam >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rolex by a ton. Great choice. Can't wait to see one on your wrist.

I would say I also don't push the expensive metals to people in watches unless the watch only comes in them. Buy a Stainless Steel watch first. You lose a ton less if you sell it later but you most likely won't sell it later because it cost 1/2 as much as the 18K gold version. The mechanics don't change just the case. So get 3 nice SS pieces over one nice Platinum and enjoy.

18. Nick360

Nick360 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    #768 Nick360, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    lol, arguing against replicas by mentioning Invicta? I think what they are doing is worse. They are copying good designs and putting their own brand on it.

I hate Invicta.

Buy a Movado or something.

19. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #769 JP365, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    I don't have a problem with Invicta watches because I could just as easily argue that the Rolex Submariner is a copy of the Benrus Military dive watches that pre date the sub by five to ten years. Lloyd Bridges wore a Benrus Sea Lord on the Sea Wolf TV show and Benrus dive watches were the military issue dive watches for the special ops teams through the 70s. Some of the Invictas have 26 jewel automatic movements. I think Invictas are an affordable way to get into collecting watches. There is a long history of famous watch makers having lesser known brands make "tribute" watches to fit different price points. The Sears Tradition chronographs of the 60s were actually made by Heuer. Lejour was used from the 60s-80s to make several different entry level watches FOR Heuer, Jaeger, and others. In fact if you look at Heuer AD order sheet from the era, they often list both versions together (especially for the Pasadena). The LeGant chronograph of the 60s has the same movement as the Daytona. Fakes are another issue. I don't like them and don't see the value when there are so many entry level watches that look the same and are better made. There are very few designs that are truly exclusive and original to a brand. To say the reverso is exclusively a Jaeger design is misleading because both Hamilton and Jaeger made reversos in the 30s. The Hamilton asymmetrical watches? Same story others were doing it also. The long and short of it is, buy a well made watch that you like to look at and don't worry about the name on the dial.

20. Nick360

Nick360 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    90% of the Invictas are trash, they were no better then some cheap replicas. I have had much better luck with Movado's and Citizen watches. I think the difference between a Submariner and an Invicta is that Invicta has found a legal way to rip off Rolex's design while the Submariner is a design based on a military watch that was designed to be more accessible to an upscale market. Big difference in my eyes. I love my Rolex, and no replica can replace it of course, but for goodness sake don't compare it to an Invicta.

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks mate. :)

Thanks for the advice and the kind words mate. :)

22. dcghostrider

dcghostrider Karting

Jun 28, 2006
    Just one small item, If someone has a passion for watches they must admit Rolex still builds a wonderful watch, unfortunately the thoughts behind Rolex and some of it's wearers has become somewhat convoluted.

23. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    I feel the Rolex wearer is no different than a replica wearer

I feel their designs are tired and lifeless.

I also feel because people " think" they are a top brand people wear them. It's about a name and having someone see them with that name. There are 100's of better brands and all of them have style. The ratio of ******bags wearing Rolex or most likely fake Rolex far out weighs the number of good people wearing them because they have a good movement.

I'm not saying that all Rolex wearers are ******s. I know a lot of nice guys with them. I just believe even my friends bought them uneducated originally about watches and because they are the most expensive Mall store brand :)

24. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Wearing a replica watch, and enjoying the attention, is like walking around with a really good hooker and thinking you're a stud.

25. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    LOL
    Nice analogy