Has anybody here taken the train from Sacramento to Reno? | FerrariChat

Has anybody here taken the train from Sacramento to Reno?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by PeterS, Nov 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    This is something I have wanted to do for a LONG time! I just think that the trip over Donner Pass in teh winter with all the snow would be a cool trip. For those who have done it,:

1) What is the overall experience like?
    2) Is the train TOO slow?
    3) How many stops between Sac and Reno?
    4) Is food served on the trains?
    5) Are there 'better' seats to buy? (Obviously, Port seats going and Starbord back)
    6) Is there WiFi on the train?
    7) Is the seating comfortable?
    8) What is the typical passenger like?

My Mom use to take the train from San Francisco to Truckee in the mid 1930's to go Skiing at Sugar Bowl. I believe the fare was either $5 or $7 that included all the food on the train and ski rentals. They left around 5AM and got back around midnight.

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Peter, I have also wanted to ride the train but I never have. The train leaves the Bay Area at 9am and doesn't arrive in Reno until 4pm. I can leave my house in my car at 6am and arrive at Sugar Bowl at 9am, ski all day and watch the train roll through at about 2pm. If you want to ski, then you have to take shuttles back and forth from Reno or Truckee. The cost per person is about $150 RT. That's more than I pay to gas up my SUV that can carry 4-5 passengers and their gear. It's just not convenient to take the train. Now, if you were going to Reno to see a show or something and wanted to experience the train as part of the experience, the timing would be fine...if you don't mind the ridiculous expense and slow progress.

BTW, there is a dining car and you can even reserve a compartment. I think they run about $150 each way in addition to your ticket.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I Agree. It's just all about the beauty from a train ride over Donner Pass in the snow.

4. david1175

david1175 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    in the doghouse
    Full Name:
    David
    Great experience! I took my son a few years ago (huge fan of trains) and was surprizingly comfortable, clean, and beautiful!

Pro's:
    Huge seating areas, comfortable seats
    Food/drinks available in the lower section of the coach
    Incredible views
    AAA had a rediculious cheap deal. $44 for me and 1/2 price for my son...ROUND TRIP!

Con's:
    Hope you're not on a time schedule?
    Left 5 hrs late
    Into Reno 6 hrs late
    No WiFi on our train

Overall, DO IT! That was my first and only time but would do it again in a heartbeat!

5. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    #5 Dcup, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
    your outa luck there, cheapy...... Tix are a bit more than you want to spend. I believe tix prices are 2 bucks but maybe you can jew em down to 25 cents. ya cheap prick. and by the way - Melonie is next to me and says hi you cheap bastid.

and answer to # 8 on your question list ---- just like you - fat, old, and a raging hard on with no where to use it.