Kimi will be back in F1 | FerrariChat

Kimi will be back in F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by aquapuss, Nov 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Lotus Renault. 2 years.

2. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#3 DF1, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    Will it be Grosjean or Bruno, Petrov as the other driver. What happends is if Kimi gets outperformed....again :) Other question is how much of the team does he now own. He has been trying to buy parts of a team for sometime now. Money is part of why they hired him. I have no doubt that was a big big part of this.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    AWESOME!!!!!!11!!11!!!ONEONE!!!!ONE111ELEVEN!!!!

:D

Very good news!!!

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Good news i would say. I just hope he won't be driving a Proton around now :D

6. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004

wont be cool if kimi drive proton and power window failed

good news indeed, love his coolness :D

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol :)

Lotus new Exige S looks pretty awesome...bigger than the old one, 125KG heaver but also as many more horsepowers. Exige being developed with a new V8 too ;).

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

As long as they serve free ice cream at the Proton workshops...

9. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Is this not the team that he said he would never race for, after they name dropped him?

10. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    Renault Confirms Kimi Raikkonen Will Return to Formula 1 in 2012

By Pablo Elizalde
    Tuesday, November 29th 2011, 07:13 GMT

Renault has announced that Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 racing next year, after securing a two-year deal to compete with the squad.

Raikkonen, who had left Formula 1 at the end of the 2009 season after being dropped by Ferrari, had been in talks with the Williams team about a possible return next year, but the deal fell through.

That promted speculation of a Renault tie-up, with team principal Eric Boullier confirming in Brazil last weekend that the Finn was on the shortlist of candidates for 2012 - when his outfit will be renamed Lotus.

Speaking about his return, Raikkonen said: "I'm delighted to be coming back to Formula 1 after a two-year break, and I'm grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity. My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can't deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming.

"It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP as I have been impressed by the scope of the team's ambition. Now I'm looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid."

Team owner Gerard Lopez added: "All year long, we kept saying that our team was at the start of a brand new cycle. Backstage we've been working hard to build the foundations of a successful structure and to ensure that we would soon be able to fight at the highest level.

"Kimi's decision to come back to Formula 1 with us is the first step of several announcements which should turn us into an even more serious contender in the future. Of course, we are all looking forward to working with a world champion. On behalf of our staff, I'd like to welcome Kimi to Enstone, a setting that has always been known for its human approach to Formula 1."

Raikkonen, 32, moved from Formula 1 to the World Rally Championship in 2010, where he spent the last two seasons while also competing in one race of the NASCAR Truck series and one Nationwide event.

The Finn won the Formula 1 world championship in 2007 with Ferrari, having scored a total of 18 wins since he made his grand prix debut in 2001.

Renault was forced to search for another driver after Robert Kubica confirmed last week that he would not be ready to start the 2012 season following his dramatic accident in February.

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great, yet another WDC winner in the mix now.

12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Looks like we need two WDCs - one for the kids, and one for the seniors... Let's hope Renault see a decent return on their investment. Based on past KR performance, I'm not placing any bets.

13. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Guess I was wrong, I never thought he'd actually return. I wish Kimi luck. He wasn't ever one of my favorite drivers, nor did I ever dislike him. I do believe it's good to see him returning for the sake of the sport. I hope he is able to adapt to the new cars quickly and get back up to speed.

Mark

14. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  15. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  17. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It's James Allen no one gives a ****

18. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  19. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    Increases the chances of Alonso and Kubica at the Gestione Sportiva in 2013.

E

20. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Jean Alesi (currently a "global ambassador" for Group Lotus) reckons it's a good idea;

Cheers,
    Ian
    The full story; http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96582

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    He is the worst interview possible. what is it about Finn's that they are so dead pan. Mika H was ok,but still just was so painful to watch in an interview.

22. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You beat me to it. Kimi is not the problem. ALL Finns talk like that. Watch other Finns (tennis players, etc.) being interviewed.

23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    This is awesome news. I hope he can run in a moderately competitive car.

24. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I hope the car is competitive enough for podiums as I really like to listen to him speaking in the post race Q&A interviews!
    Kimi is a great driver when motivated. I hope the team can keep him interested during the season with a good car, good engineering, a good pit, and good stratagy. Otherwise, well... we've seen him on his "not so" motivated days.

JD

25. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    that's precisely what makes him amusing and entertaining! I love the monotone drone.
    When I imitated it to my wife, it drives her absolutely nuts! That in itself is worth him being in the game.

JD