F512M aftermarket exhaust recommendations? | FerrariChat

F512M aftermarket exhaust recommendations?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Zanzibar, Nov 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Although I tremendously my F512M, I find the factory exhaust system a bit too sedate to my liking. Would anyone out there have recommendations for a good aftermarket exhaust for this car? I would like it to be a bit more meaty, without it becoming unbearably loud. If someone can recommend a setup, I would appreciate hearing about it.

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  3. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I have a bell on my 512BB, but I also have a capristo on my 348

Both are good choices. but the Bell is excellent value, & sound.

4. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Right now I have been offered two options:

1. Tubi
    This one came via The Ferrari Centre, a company which has given me great service in the past. They have proposed a Tubi setup, keeping the stock catalytic converters in place. Price is £2495 + VAT, which amounts to about €2900 + VAT.

2. Capristo
    Scuderia Systems have offered me a Stage 2 Capristo. The sport exhaust is €2250 + VAT, the sports pack, which combines the exhaust with cat bypass pipes, is €2490 + VAT.

Any thoughts on which system to pick? Also, does removing the catalytic converters have any detrimental effects on the engine? How does the ECU react when it receives different feedback from the Lambda probes?

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Wow, that's a lot of money for what is basically mufflers! The Bell stainless steel system for for my BB512i was less than $2000 USA dollars and took about three weeks to get once ordered.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Pitty you did not go for the (here offered) MS Racing exhaust 512TR / 512M !

My Tuby is still too modest; I would like to go for a stage II Capristo ... :)

MOSS likes this.
  7. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I have the Tubi. Can't describe how it suits my tastes. I am a hater of 'loud' , even though my hearing is not great. I never, EVER turn on the radio in this car. The sound of the 12 coming through Tubi pipes is a wonderous thing to behold.

8. HOU

HOU Karting

May 2, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    John S
    my M has the tubi. it is a little bit loud for me, but my ferrari friends say it is perfect. cannot hear anything but engine at 70 mph freeway so use my eytomotic in the ear headphones if i want music.

9. Ferrari Newspaper

Aug 1, 2007
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    Hi guys, so 9 years from this original thread, I have the same situation with Zanzibar’s original message in 2011 and wanna do something different on my F512M after owning it for 4 years now and while engine out exercise I want to change a new exhaust, can anyone provide a good recommendation now (so many years from this original thread) seems like I can’t even get into Bell’s website now.... and it sounded like tubi, capristo, and novelty are the obvious choice still? Can someone shed some light? Like Zanzibar, am afraid of cat by pass affect the engine Ecu too?

@Zanzibar, @AHudson, @HOU, how was yours in this past years?

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I have Tubi on my M. The stock exhaust is too soft for me and I'm not a fan of obnoxious sound. Tubi just sounds like a strong factory sound.
    Highly recommend it.

11. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I have Tubi Rumore (loudest version) with test pipes, acceptable loud on idle and what I reckon should off left the gates of Maranello with. The idle is not as loud as the 8yclinder Ferrari's.

12. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I have a tubing on my 550 and it's disappointing. I wish it sounded like my 612 OTO.

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Tubi on a 550 is disappointing? On my 550 it makes a world of difference.

14. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Are there different models of Tubi? Can barely tell the difference between mine and stock exhaust sound.

15. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I put a Capristo on my 512TR and I would never have anything else. Outside the car, almost no difference, very classy. INSIDE the cabin it is like a symphony. Absolutely magical, no drone, just V12 chorus. I did a rally once that my friend organized and his (smoking hot eastern European) wife road with me. Every time I stepped on the gas she would squirm. Magic. I felt a bit like I'd done him wrong. Also, you can see the Cappy through the rear grill and it looks fantastic.

F40org likes this.
  16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Ha! I'm the same way.
    I hope someone else can answer that.
    Mine just sounds right.

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    capristo is great on my 512tr

18. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    I'm running a Fuchs on my 1990 tr. It has a transplanted 113G crate motor (F512m). No precats or main cats and I just love the sound. It's loud at WOT but far from ******* loud...on lighter throttle it is nearly sedate, at 70mph the cabin is quiet enough for easy conversation which is a bonus. Drop 2 gears nail the gas and it's another story altogether...just a great sound, not high pitched like a Capristo. Those familiar with the m motor know how much thrust begins around 5000 rpm to redline and this is when the Fuchs is at it's best...pure music for the soul.

19. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    @bernieb Bernard, do you mind sharing where you purchased the Fuchs system? I haven’t been able to track one down. The YouTube videos of it sound incredible.

20. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Paul Newman did the motor swap for me...he also sourced and installed the Fuchs exhaust. There is a thread on that titled something like "512m crate motor in a testarossa". Send Paul a PM and ask him where he sourced it. He's a friendly and approachable gentleman.

V4NG0 likes this.
  21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Yes, I run the stage 2 Capristo and have had 4 Tr cars. It by far sounds the best of the other 3 I have run.

Melvok likes this.
  22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I read all the improvements at that time here on FCHAT !

Amazing story and superb work by Paul (as always) …

Where is that thread ...

23. Ferrari Newspaper

Aug 1, 2007
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    Thanks guys. So much info, all useful. However, can i just get a sense on pricing? I heard mostly 3 brands on top of owners' head.. they are Tubi, Capristo, and Fuchs... Does anyone knows around how much is it for each of them (in US$)? I suppose Tubi and Capristo are similarly priced at around US$4,500 - 4.900?

Also i still don't really get whether one should have it with or without "cat" though i know it's personal preference but if i wanted to leave everything else on except the last piece i.e. the muffler (i am assuming my stock exhaust has a catalytic converters that came with the car)... then i will have to buy the "with Cat" ones, right?

24. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
  25. Ferrari Newspaper

Aug 1, 2007
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    Thank you guys again for all the info. I have done my own study can came to a conclusion that i want to leave both my cats on and do not want to remove it... can anyone be very kind to shed some light on which version i should be looking for? Does it means that i am looking for the "cat version" for both Tubi and Capristo (for Fuchs it just doesnt say) then? Although i have not decided on which brand to get (after listening to you guys i felt that each brand has its own good characteristic) yet but i'm more likely to choose either Capristo or Tubi since there are more user report on them vs. Fuchs.