355 race | FerrariChat

355 race

Discussion in '348/355' started by allanlambo, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    So, my wife is angry at some tool at work who just bought a Mustang Mach 1 automatic. Supposedly he is making fun of her that his little Mustang will beat her Ferrari. I met him today, and he opened his mouth up to me about the same. So we're going to se up a race, and im going to blow his redneck doors off. I actually reversed my Ferrari line and told him not to confuse the dancing donkey on his hood ornament with my prancing horse. He didnt really like that.

Has anyone here launched a 355 off the line? Do they have traction control? I didnt see a button inside.

His other buddy was telling my wife that he'd blow my Lambo away in his supposed 9sec Camaro. When i questioned him about it today, it became a 10 seond Camaro which required alot of thought about its times.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Allan,
    I've never launched my 355 (or anyone else's for that matter) but I was told by someone who has tried it with a 355 challenge that they do not have traction control.

Oh, by the way, stomp that tool.

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Got get 'em. And capture the moment well through video.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i dont see how a mach one with an auto would even be close to a 355? what a jealous dumbass. you have what you have and they cant stand it. let your wife drive it so they get beat by a woman to boot. i bet she will like that. i would love to see a video of this also!

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I will try and get video. We may even just go down to the dragstrip and do it.

I looked up the Mustang and it runs like 14.0@ 100mph. It should be an OBLITERATION. Id let my wife race him if he would go from a roll, she has never launched a car in her life. I want to do the driving so he feels like a moron. He is really convinced he will win. He thinks he can beat my lambo to 70mph also.

6. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Be careful that Piece-of-S#it Ford doesn't blow up and dent the 355 with engine part shrapnel!! ;)

And on the subject of Mustangs:
    We got a new GTO at the dealership last week and that thing is going to ruin a whole bunch of Donkey drivers days! 350HP is grossly underrated according to a friend I have at GM.

Dave

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Allan, I have been told several times that the 355 DOES NOT have TC...thats great, bc that cars relatively high-in-rpm band torque means that you should be able to really drop it and get a nice little wheel spin before taking off. Good luck, and the mustang GT isnt really very fast, used to have a good go with them in the S2000 when I was in the mood.

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Are you talking about the Pontiac Gto? I saw report on it, pretty quick, but still not as fast as a 355, but surely quicker than 308/328/348's .

Id be worried if this Mustang were a supercharged Cobra, but its not. So no worries.

9. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    GTO $33,000

3800+ lbs
    5.7L LS1 V8
    0.88g skidpad

Car and Driver put 0-60 around 5.4 with a 14.0 1/4 mile

Too bad it looks so damn bland:(

10. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    No traction control on a 355. Best launches I've had have been dropping the clutch around 3000-3500 rpm (above that, my OEM P-Zeros don't stick very well).

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ok, good, ive got P-zeros also. Ill try at around 3500rpm.

12. I dont think any Mustang or Camero unless its on slicks with NOS and totally made for the track Can smoke your Diablo SV with 150 power shot of NOS from a roll.

13. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Maui....... rednecks????, somehow I'm not getting a strong visual. They must live on the road to Hana (sp?) back in the hills.

Get video please.

14. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.

Allan.....the 355 does have traction control!

It's just below your ankle and is called............

............YOUR RIGHT FOOT!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, though I think you got him beat without much trouble. He may get you to 60 but anything after 80 and that donkey brick will drop off fast.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Dude,
    Remember, its a small island, if you get whooped it could be ugly!

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Im want to make sure that he never even comes close. Not 0-30, not 0-60 etc.

As for the Island being small, that it is, so i want to make sure to leave nothing to chance.

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Oh, also forgot to tell you guys. The owner of this Mustang, used to (sold it to buy the stang) drive around in one of those Machiavelli 308 wanna-bees. It was hideous. When my wife first started, he heard she had a ferrari, so he tried to impress upon her that he had one also. When he saw what she had, he never mentioned it again.

He tried selling it first for 28,000, then it went to 24,000, then 18,000 and last i saw it was 10,000. His ad read " Ferrari styling and performance, with GM reliability". Some other moron drives it around now.

18. I've had better luck launching the car around 5000rpm slipping the clutch a bit. At 3500rpm the car still has no torque. I've had well over 150 passes at the 1/4 mile in my old SupraTT so I'm confident I know how to launch this b*tch.

19. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Go Allan, go annihilate the donkey!!

20. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Get it on video, this is going to be a riot. Kind of like that Mustang "hanging" with the Carrera GTs, it won't be tough. Mild launch is all you should need to put a hurting as fast as his shrinking balls dare to carry him.

21. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    The race with the Mustang/355 should be fairly close- mostly driver determined. But some advice about old muscle cars driven by middle aged men... beware. They probably can't stop or turn, but holy cow can they be fast in a straight line. Oh... and if the car is in primer, the front tires look undersized, and the car sounds like its about out of gas... then be afraid.

22. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

Ferrari clutches are too expensive. Baby it off the line, then mash on the gas

23. ninja_eli

ninja_eli Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ali
    It'll bog down below 4000 rpm, try 5k but slip the clutch, otherwise you'll sit there spinning wheels.

Practice to get it right, but much below 4K rpm, and the 355 will lose out to a micra.

24. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    ehhh mustangs are not all that bad.......i don't know why ppl are stupid enough to even open up their mouths saying their stang can beat a ferrari.....

i personally own a 1965 mustang......would never race a ferrari in it by that matter.
    On that note i hate the new mustangs....but i love the classics.
    But ferrari's are my best in the book ^_^

25. sfa1509

sfa1509 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sean Armstrong
    Since we're on the topics of launch, what's the best way to launch an F1?