Thanks! New owner 365 GT 2+2 | FerrariChat

Thanks! New owner 365 GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jcwconsult, Jan 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Thanks to everyone who offered advice on how to find the right Ferrari for me. I bought a fly yellow 365 GT 2+2, the one with the sunroof shown in the Restoration Tips section of Tom Yang's forum. Passport delivered it to Michigan late last night - and seemed to have shipped it "right side up". Norbert Hofer at Gran Touring Classics did an excellent PPI and fixed a couple of things before shipping the car.

For better or worse, I am now an owner after an 8 months search. I talked or corresponded with the owners of 11 cars, looked at 6, drove 5, had a PPI done on 2, and bought this one.

Now, if we just get this nasty white stuff off the ground, maybe I can have some fun with it.

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jim, congratulations...! Fly yellow...? i can't wait to see pictures...! How many miles does the car have...? Did you get it from a dealership or the previous, private owner...? Is this your first...? Once again, congratulations... :)

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Congratulations from a fellow 365GT 2+2 owner!

Please post some pics, especially of the sunroof.

Don, 12327

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Congrats - a beautiful and classic car!
    Looking forward to pics!!!
    best
    rt

5. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Congratulations Jim. Thanks for looking at my car. I am sure you will enjoy being a Ferrari owner.

6. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Nice choice, very classic.
    Congrats and now is the time to enjoy.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    From one V-12 2+2 owner to another, congratulations!

8. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Congrats!!!
    Now you have to change your profile!!!!! :)

Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Personal Ferraris:
    None yet, but soon
    Wanted Cars:
    365 GT 2+2
    Other Cars Owned:
    Integra GS-R, BMW 323i
    Previous Cars Owned:
    Volvo 1800S, BMW 700, MG-B
    Interests:
    sailing
    GE Long Term Care Insurance

9. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I. too. want to welcome you to the 365GT2+2 "club". Always feel free to ask for, and share, information about your car, and ownership of it. I've had a wonderful time with mine, and continue to "tweak" it. Congratulations!

Bill (#13131)

10. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Pictures of the sunroof and the color can be seen on Tom Yang's site at
    Go to http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari.html then click on Ferrari Restoration Tips and then click on Sunroofs. The car has a Heritage certificate showing colors as original Gialo Fly It. w/black leather.

The roof is electric, steel panel, Webasto brand, with the switch integrated between the window switches and it works fine. Gerald Roush at the FML knows of two others with sunroofs, possibly factory done, #s 11607 known in FL in 1997 & 11745 known in KS in 1993. Does anyone know either of these?

The car was originally sold by Harrah's Modern Classic Motors and has lived in LA for 20+ years. I got it from a private owner who really loved it and brought many systems back to snuff. He may buy a GTC now. It shows 56,000 miles and that could be believable, but the older records are not complete enough to be certain. It has been driven regularly, and that made a lot of the difference in which car I picked. I intend to DRIVE it.

Thanks again to Tinbender for showing me his very nice & complete 365.

Regards,
    Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #11 Bryanp, Jan 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    good job, Jim, and welcome to the Queen Mother club! the sunroof looks like a very clean, integrated piece of work. - I wonder what circuit they put it on . . .
    Have fun taking it out and scaring three of your friends!
    Bryan Phillips
    s/n 11199
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jim:

There's a sunroof on my '64 330 2+2 as well. It doesn't work but it's a very neatly done installation with a switch that looks much like yours, mounted between the speedo and tach pods. I had hoped the buildsheets would maybe answer the question of factory installed or not, but they came to me about 50% illegible, like they were copies of blurry old mimeographs stored away in a file at the bottom of a drawer for 40 years.

Anyone know the Italian word for "sunroof"?

Beautiful car; I've seen the pics on Tom's board. Congratulations!

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Scott -
    relevant to another thread above, would you consider sharing with us your process, and the $$, to obtain the "buildsheets" for your car?

Thanks in advance,
    james

14. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    James:

I applied for the buildsheets almost two years ago and some things may have changed since then. I'm certainly glad to share the info I do remember.

--First thing is to get registered as an owner on the Ferrari Owners Site. In order to do so you have to provide them with proof of ownership, like a copy of the car's title in your name.

--It didn't cost me anything to get the Heritage Certificate and buildsheets.

--Ferrari has to verify that there are buildsheets available for your car's s/n. It may take some going back and forth with them to positively establish this--see the other thread on the 500-euro Certification.

--Once they've replied positively about having them, you will have to provide them with photos that prove that the numbers on your car match the ones on the buildsheets.

These include (as found on my car, a 1964 Series I 330 2+2):

--The engine type number, stamped on the driver side cylinder head in front of the firing order plate.

--The manufacturer's plate on the passenger side of the firewall.

--The engine/chassis number stamped on the lower engine block on the passenger side.

--the rear axle numbers stamped on the back of the differential housing.

--the transmission s/n stamped on top of the transmission case.

--an "internal" engine number stamped on top of the clutch bell housing.

These are all I remember. To be able to photograph the transmission s/n and the internal engine number requires that you take out the transmission tunnel, which also means taking out the seats and console if you have one. For me, this was OK because I had my interior mostly out for three months, repairing many odds and ends.

The hardest pic to get was the number on top of the bell housing, even with the interior out. It took some contortions and about 10 retakes before I got a useable picture.

You then email the photos to Ferrari along with some fill in the blanks info. My buildsheets and Certificate came in about two weeks by email in .pdf format. The Certificate looks great printed out in color on photo paper.

I hope this is helpful, at least as a general idea of the process. Also, check out Tom Yang's board and do a search; plenty of info there.

Scott

PS:

I remember now: you have to send them exterior and interior shots of the car and fill ot a questionnaire about color changes, etc. The thing that matters is that all the mechanical component numbers match. My car's been repainted at least twice since new.

16. huligan

huligan Rookie

Mar 9, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    this could have been from Pompano Beach, FL and here are some pics of it now :

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/galleria_images/613/613_p30_l.jpg

cannot see the switch for the sunroof in the same location as on Tom Yangs website....

17. footUNDER

footUNDER Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Doug Hudson
    Congratulations from one vintage v12 owner to another!!!

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats!

Spring is right around the corner!

19. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I recall one as "apertura di tetto". Literally "top opening".
    Bob Z.

20. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    The front headliner structure with the sunvisors and mirror are not identical to the photo above in mine, and the headliner portion of the sunroof is one piece on mine.

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

21. rachidbaligh

rachidbaligh Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Rachid
    Congratulation! I recently fulfilled my vintage V12 dream, it feels great!
    Enjoy in good health and good weather!!