front window doesn't lift up | FerrariChat

front window doesn't lift up

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by oliv928, Nov 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    Hello everybody,

Last week end this little problem apeared. After moving down the passenger front window, when I tryed to lift it up, after some very slow motion, it definitly stoped the up lift movement. Back home I made the following observation : Lift up movement is completly null, no motor noise, nothing. Lift down movement is OK. I have had a look at the fuses : every fuses are OK ( to the eye ). I don't know if the switch or connection to the switch is affected. Does anyone know what specific electrical failure could be the origin (some specific relay, ...).
    Thank You for thus who would answer.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    Bonjour, I'm afraid its not the relay or fuse, its most likely the motor, the grease is drying up and hardening after 24 years on your 87 3.2 cab. One thing you can do is to test the window switch with the other switch to rule it out not being a bad switch. If its not a switch problem, you will have to take the door panel apart and see if there is anything physically blocking and/or rebuild it or find a replacement motor part. Very common problem on these cars or for that matter any car that is over 10 years old. Good luck!

3. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    Just had same thing happen. Driver window could be lowered but not raised. If you use your manual window tool from tool box, you can press the motor switch and manually lift window up. If there is any juice going to motor, the window can be lifted up with assistance.

I am in process of cleaning window regulator. Even though I think it was the hardened grease in the window regulator causing the problem. I sent my motor to rebuilt by:

South Florida Window Lift
    445 NW 1st Avenue
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Phone: 1-800-552-4413 Fax: 954-763-9995

Just got motor back but have not put back together.

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hello Chris, how much to rebuild each motor if I may ask? Also have you done the rears as well? Thanks for the tip.

5. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    #5 ssrealty, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    I really appreciate your assistance. I will firstvtry to move it down using the manual porcedure You indicate.
    soucourp You write : "the grease is drying up and hardening after 24 years".
    Does it mean that we all should make the windowd movinf regulary as a preventive maintenance to avoid this drying problem ? If yes it should be something to know and take care about.
    thanks again

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi, it is better to use every part of a Ferrari as intended use rather than to sit there for long periods of time; motor, windows, AC etc....
    Just from my experience, use it or lose it is so true. I think the grease drying out is nothing you can do, just that everything has a shelf life, and when its time, all you can do is rebuild it or replace it when that happens. Over using window motors will also shorten the life, so there's a fine balance obviously. C'est la vie

8. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    Personaly i don't think it is a gease drying problem because : when I press the window up lift button, there is NO NOISE at all. It looks more like eletrical problem. If grease were dry or any mechanical problem I should ear something, even briefly. Maybe I am wrong.

9. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hello Olivier,

Disassemble the door from the inside to access the motor
    There are 2 connectors close to it
    Disconnect them and connect to a separate 12V battery to see if the motor is OK
    It will probably be a bad ground or the switch causing the problem in my opinion

Cheers

Frank

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Like the previous member mentioned, take the door panel off and check the window regulator for any obstruction, if it looks ok, test the switch by plugging the other switch to that window see if it works. If not, disconnect the window motor and connect it directly to a 12v battery, reverse the wires and it should move the other way. If it does not move in any direction, its a bad motor. If everything works, put the motor back and clean and grease the regulatory and try again...
    I have tried this in one of my other cars and was able to secure a used motor off Ebay and got everything to work again. good luck!