Funny Ferrari Animation | FerrariChat

Funny Ferrari Animation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dan_London, Dec 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #1 Dan_London, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few folk have suggested I put this up for general view as previously I'd tucked it away in Vintage. Also, that I should elaborate on the story behind it...

It's a CGI animation I recently completed featuring a 1962 Ferrari GTO (modelled on Nick Mason's car).

http://vimeo.com/29598451

The back story is that as some of you may remember I lost my left leg crashing my 456GT a few years ago and ended up acutely aware of how abused disabled/handicapped parking bays are. I no longer need to use them but their widespread abuse still makes my blood boil - hence making the film using my skills as a CGI artist.

Anyway, if you like it, please share it around :)

Best,
    Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Amazing stuff Dan! I was recently scouting for animators (more 2d old skool) and I know how involved just a few mins can be. About how many hours of 3ds Max work did that take?

3. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks! It took about nine weeks to create, a good percentage of that was spent modelling and texturing the cars, rooftop carpark and robot bits in 3ds Max. I bashed out a second film featuring the models in just a few days as all the modelling was done; I just needed to rig the car so it drove realistically and set up my virtual cameras to get the extra shots I wanted.

It's here...

http://vimeo.com/30739216

4. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Amazing. I watched that on Vimeo just before your post.

Superb reflection modelling. Who needs Meguiar's when you can CGI it! ... well, I suppose even the most attentive detailer wouldn't spend 9 weeks :)

I actually prefer it, though I really get the point about disabled parking. It reminds me fondly of a close friend with terminal cancer and a disabled badge. He had it on his TR and the disabled parking bays were a great fit for the car.

I watched hilarious arguments he had with righteous do-gooders in car parks who couldn't understand how a disabled person could possibly be driving a Ferrari. He used to wait a long while, enjoying the moment before pulling out his hospital documents describing his terminal condition. We'd watch the horror on people's faces and then have a good laugh back in the car.

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Beautiful. Nice to see fellow fx artists around.

6. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Nice work.......

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Very pretty. I've passed it forward to a few folks including my brother who had broken both ankles at one point and carried around the blue badge. Great public service announcement.

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That's pretty amazing stuff! Great job and great message too.

9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Very cool. Love the music too (the operatic Italian stuff). Can you ID it?

10. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Sure, it's a fairly obscure version of Puccini's "Nessun Dorma" sung by Jussi Björling :)

11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    WAY COOL! You have a great talent.
    Thanks for posting!
    +1 on the audio too!

12. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Looks great!

But I have to ask the obvious question... why are there handicap access parking spots on the roof of a car parking structure? Would these not be on street level or the level of the building the strucure is meant to accompany?

/have never used a handicap spot, please pardon the ignorance.

13. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  14. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Dan that is the best CGI I have ever seen on a car, I thought it was real.
    Great work mate.
    Roy

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    AMAZING, wish I knew how to do it! :(

Liked the addition of Jimi's music; good choice.

Sparky

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Very cool video.

One of my BIGGEST peeves about drivers is how they abuse "handicap" parking, and treat it as VIP parking. In Beverly Hills it's the WORST. There are cars parked in the metered areas with handicap placards hanging from the mirrors. It's total BS. You can walk past 4,5,6 spots in a row and they will all have handicap placards hanging from the mirror. You'll see the owners of the car walk right up to the car, carrying shopping bags, with absolutely NO NEED for a wheel chair.

I would LOVE to see some one make a video using a TRUELY handicap person, wheel up to someone walking to there "handicap" parked car, and let them have it verbally. Then post it on the internet for the world to see.

UUUUUHHHHHHHH I HATE that.

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    To make a point.

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    ernie, there are many handicaps that are not immediately visible. Please don't assume that someone is not handicapped just because their handicap is not immediately obvious.

OP, nice animation. I guess abuse of handicap parking is a common problem in the UK? In the US, people respect it. I have never seen a handicapped space occupied by a car not displaying the correct placard anywhere in the US. Same in France and Switzerland, except when the Russians come into town in the summer. It's pretty bad in Italy, people there don't seem to respect handicap parking spots at all.

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Not true in the US. Many people use the placard of a disabled relative when the person owning the placard isn't with them.

I see it happen many times.

20. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #20 UroTrash, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Amazing work, thanks for posting.

I enjoyed your other vids as well.

21. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'd be careful to judge. You don't know what the ailment might be. If there's abuse, then sure it is wrong. But don't assume everyone you see is breaking the rules, even if they are walking to the car with apparent ease.

22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #22 ernie, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Well if they don't need a wheel chair, they don't need a handicap parking spot. The sign is a person in a WHEEL CHAIR, not an old fart who walks slow.

I was at a Walmart and after seeing and old couple, able as can be, walk into the store from the "handicap" parking area, in the normal parking was a young man who was taking a WHEEL CHAIR out of the trunk of his car. After setting up the WHEEL CHAIR, he walked around, opened the door and CARRIED his girl friend to the wheel chair and place her in it, then wheeled her into the store. THOSE are the people who need the handicap parking area's. So that they can get into their WHEEL CHAIRS. NOT for lazy old people who think it's their right to park right up front because they walk slow. To then spend two hours in a mall walking all over the place. Oh but they don't wanna walk an extra few seconds to get in the mall.

AAAAAHHHHH!!!! That burns me up, and I'm not even handicap.

23. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ernie, you're wrong on that. Talk to a good medic and you'll find out. There are many who don't necessarily need a wheelchair but do need to be close to their vehicle. Respiratory failure is a good example. Terminally ill people also; they have good and bad days. One day they'll be able to walk 500 yards, the next 50 ft. Believe me, I've seen it. Unless you really know the particular circumstances, you simply shouldn't pass judgement.

24. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    brilliant... something that deserves to go viral...great subject matter, great music, Ferrari, transforming, animation, WOW

beev

25. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    ernie,
    Vaccarella is right. There are many ailments that are not immediately obvious. Please don't be so quick to judge. There are many people suffering from handicaps, who are often accosted by tv news crews and "do-gooder" citizens, who never even give them a chance to defend themselves. They have perfectly valid reasons for using handicapped spots, but are not given the chance to explain and instead are made into scapegoats by people like you. Always establish guilt first, before jumping down someone's throat.