Rob's Thursday morning Hunting & Fishing log | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Rob's Thursday morning Hunting & Fishing log

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rob lay, Apr 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #426 rob lay, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Report #: 153

Date & Time: October 5th, 2011

What & Where: Deer Hunting - Orr, OK

Results: 1 White-tailed Buck (121" 10 pt)

Lies & Lessons Learned: The new Oklahoma lease is already starting to pay off. After nothing this past weekend for archery opening I went back out last night. There were 3 bucks in a bachelor group showing up on my game cam. I decided to put the oldest one on my hit list although one of the younger ones looks to already be 10” larger. Had some does early traveling by and then little after 7pm this bachelor group started working in circling slightly downwind, but not behind me. The older one on hit list was obviously the most weary and dominant. He stayed back while the others went in and he did about a 270 circle of the place back in woods even though he had eaten here daily for weeks. The only 90 degrees he didn’t walk was downwind of me! :) Finally he came in at 13 yards, but was facing towards me for 10 minutes. Giving me broadside I drew back, but at only 13 yards from 3 sets of eyes & ears no wind they jumped out of there. I made way too much noise on my draw. They didn’t go too far and nervously about 5 minutes later the 2.5 year old walked right under me behind. The one I wanted was coming next and before he cleared the 2.5 year old bolted out of there. In video it looks like the buck is moving fast, but I swear it was slow motion and at only 8 yards I was confident and dead on. I could tell I got shoulder, he was bulldozing a little as lost sight at 80 yards. Arrow broken off, but good sign how deep it broke off and good lung. Gave it an hour, found him 150 yards away.

10 main points, pretty symmetrical. A total of 4 scorable stickers off the bases! Average width at 15.5” inside and shorter tines & beams, but mass deceptive as bladed 26.5” total. Total Gross 121”.

I have found deer hunting to be the hardest and most time consuming of any sport, but with that challenge guess I like it that much more. This buck continues my almost perfect evolution as a deer hunter, I am getting to the experience point where 120” and 3.5 year old deer won’t cut it anymore. 2009 my first deer was a 100” 8 point, last year 110” 9 point, and now a 121” 10 point.

More details at http://www.freerangehunter.com/forum/free-range-hunting/88-oklahoma-bow-2011-a.html.

2 minute video of the hunt…

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4xdsz92cA[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Isn't it kind of cheating to set up a feeder and make them come to you? This is a serious question, I don't get how the whole deer hunting thing is supposed to work?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    fair question, it isn't cheating in Texas and majority of states because it is 100% legal. some states like California don't allow "baiting". beyond following all hunting laws there are hunter ethics and standards and it varies for each person.

for example it is perfectly legal to hunt a deer in a 40 acre pen he can't escape, but most hunters don't find that "fair chase" and won't do it.

on the weapons side with ethics some think a rifle is unfair chance for the deer, true it has the most killing punch and reaches out longer distances, but another consideration for hunter ethics is how humanely the kill. using a spear or knife jumping out of a tree may be harder for the hunter and more fair for deer to escape, but also more likely the deer suffers and it isn't a clean kill. archery is considered by many one of the most sporting for hunters and fair for deer while also getting a clean kill if you get them in range. A broadhead will do more damage than a bullet.

in regards to things like "baiting" it is a grey area. I have heard hunters from up north that look down at hunters putting out corn, but at same time they are making a special "food plot" that they never intend to harvest and just planted to bait the deer. also same people that are against putting corn out are making mineral sites for deer to lick, putting out synthetic food smells to attract deer, doe estrogen smells to trick big horney buck, and also "rattling" horns to attract buck to a fight.

other ethics questions are whether OK to hunt a deer on his known trail or where he beds? most hunters would say its OK.

so where do you draw the line? there is a full spectrum and most hunters fall in the middle. you won't find a single hunter that only hunts free range public, traditional bow, no camouflage, no scent control, no attractants, and won't hunt any deer "sign" like trails, tracks, and rubs.

the deer has the most advantages and any hunting is really hard, part of the hunting is learning to get your own advantages without making it unsporting for personal ethics.

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Ah, I wasn't aware there were different regulations for different states. I'd be impressed with someone jumping out of a tree with a knife.

5. tblount

tblount Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    I only hunt in MS and it is illegal to hunt over a feeder, corn, or any other bait put on the ground to attract deer. You can have a feeder in the area but you aren't allowed to see it from your stand. It is a hefty fine if a game warden catches you hunting over bait. It is legal however to have a food plot planted to hunt over, such as rye or a turnip patch(which attracts deer just as well as a feeder or ground bait).

While it would be impressive to just jump out of a tree and use a knife I doubt it would be a effective or humane kill. I try to avoid using blinds as much as possible as I feel like it takes a bit of the sport and fairness out of the hunt, but different areas require different methods.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #431 rob lay, Oct 29, 2011
    Report #: 154

Date & Time: October 18-20th, 2011

What & Where: Deer Hunting - Terrell County, TX

Results: 0

Lies & Lessons Learned: Went on my first Mule Deer hunt. Didn't even release an arrow, but it was fun being in such a remote area. Terrell County is size of Rhode Island and has population of 900. Really nice airport, but they may get 1-2 planes a day, usually people passing through for gas. So you start off in remote area and then drive 15 miles off paved road to REALLY remote in view of Mexican border.

I saw several does and a young buck, but nothing to shoot. On the last day I actually did an all day sit. In blind at 6:30 AM and they picked me up at 8:00 PM. That isn't as bad in ground or tower blind, but I was sitting on a rocky gully hill and temps reached 88.

I only hunt low fence, there were other hunters in camp and they had a 1,000 acre high fence portion and those guys tagged out. Funniest thing was they had a pet Mule Deer that would come up tamer than a dog letting you pet it and eating out of your hands. Also first time I've ever seen Blue Quail, I have hunted Bobwhites all my life, but this was a first.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #432 rob lay, Oct 30, 2011
    Report #: 155

Date & Time: October 24-27th, 2011

What & Where: Deer Hunting - Jacksboro, TX

Results: 1 Buck (126 5/8") & 1 Doe

Lies & Lessons Learned: Returned to Richards Ranch where I got the 9 point in January. I knew it might be better hunting when I showed up Monday because 2 of 3 hunters that had started Saturday were already tagged out. Monday night just saw young bucks and does. Tuesday morning just saw does. Tuesday night nothing was moving at all and very last light guide let me know buck that was walking in was on the hit list. I dropped him from 147 yards with 30-06. My biggest buck ever! Beautiful 10 point 126 5/8". Next morning hunting does and only the bucks came in, saw a beautiful 9 point and some younger bucks fighting. Got it all on video. Wednesday night using my GrandPa's 30-06 I got a nice doe. Finally a successful outfitter trip.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYnVEPKZ6I[/ame]

8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Very nice Rob. Glad to see your lease paying off. Just starting to wind up the season where I hunt in Florida. But headed to Ky for the first time Saturday. Stoked is an understatement.
    The dove shoot looks like a good time. It's been awhile since we've had a really good shoot down here, think I need to find a good field soon.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very cool, make sure to document on www.freerangehunter.com. Next week I have an ad going out in hunting magazine with 40k circulation. hope to get the activity kick started over there.

my last scheduled deer trip of the year starts Saturday in Illinois. percentages lower for success, but higher for a big deer.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    too many places to blog about my fishing & hunting, as of a month ago all my updates are on www.freerangehunter.com. thanks.

11. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    #436 PaulVincent, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
    Where in IL? Depending upon the county, chances of taking a deer really are very different. In 2010, Pike county gave up 7376 deer - best in the state.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was Brown County, just a few miles from Pike. There were probably 25,000 hunters for those 7,000 deer though.

13. PaulVincent

Oct 21, 2007
    #438 PaulVincent, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
    IL issued 631,830 for all seasons, including lottery issued permits and over the counter permits statewide. Naturally, the permits are allocated on a county by county basis, but I'm not sure how many were for Pike county.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    maybe more than 25k then, at least for non-resident hunters Pike county is most popular. one big county with big deer, just a bunch of pressure on them though. :)

15. PaulVincent

Oct 21, 2007
    Rob, Any luck in Illinois?

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay