Effects of removing the cat on a US 85 QV? | FerrariChat

Effects of removing the cat on a US 85 QV?

Discussion in '308/328' started by stevel48, Dec 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    So who has done it? How does it affect FI and the ignition system? Also, is there any benefit to doing so in power and/or sound of the car?

Thanks

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My '83 is de-catted and de-smogged (legal in TX for cars over 25 yrs), Tubi exhaust with small shop-built muffler assemblies in place of the cats. Straight test pipes were way too loud.

Runs fine and smooth; since I had all this done right after it arrived here in jan. '08 I can't compare before/after. My guess is a few xtra hp gain.

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Don't know about removing it comletely but I am in the process of replacing the stock unit with the Fabsport cat that was on special here on fchat. I will post the results when she returns. Subjective impressions of course.

4. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    As long as you have a sealed bung for the O2 sensor the FI system will not be effected as everything is measured pre-cat. Noise is a subjective issue and I personally have not found the perfect sound but have have an idea what I am looking for. HP will vary depending on the condition of the cat being removed.

5. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I want a little more raw noise. Can I just remove the o2 sensor and have the mixture reset?

6. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #6 Crowndog, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    I am not as clear on this. The Qv '84 and '85 I thought maintained proper mixture based on the O2 sensor. Doesn't the typical bypass pipe still have a port for the sensor? (hence the K-Jetronic with Lambda control) I think maybe you are referring to the thermocouple bung which will need to be capped? Not an expert just adding my 2 cents.

7. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    It won't smell very nice with cats off, modern gas gives these cars a real rotten exhaust smell. You want to make sure the wind is blowing away from the car at low speeds. And if it is anything like my 328 it will be a LOT cooler under the hood.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ... and you can forget about selling it California.

9. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It doesn't affect the fuel injection system at all providing all is well in the first place. If you use a test pipe most likely there won't be any bung for the thermocouple. Mine didn't have one. Simply wrap the thermocouple and stick it out of the way.

Great debate on this subject a few years back on here so bear that in mind. You might want to do a seach for this topic as well.

As far as sound... i've found most of the high priced mufflers out there lacking in one form or another. I ended up going with a custom stainless magnaflow set with rolled polished tips for a 1/4 the cost.

+1 on it being a bit cooler and much less worry about about an overheating cat.
    HP gain will be little to none. If sound however is the ultimate goal and you don't mind being teary eyed from the exhaust smell then go for it.

10. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    All very interesting. I was just curious.

11. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Ive made quite a few test pipes, what I do is keep the thermocouple and 02 sensor in the test pipe, I just add a (spark plug extender) to the 02 sensor to keep it out of the flow of exhaust gasses, kind of fooling the computer. Everyone I have made works very well. There is a bit more noise though

Wade

12. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    Wade,

Do you have any photos of the pipes or some sound clips of the noise?

Steve

13. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    My appolgies for not clarifying more. I meant a bung that seals tight when the 02 sensor is installed. after 25+ years corrosion deteriates the threads and sealing surface also many times the bungs are replaced and I have seen plenty that have not been welded properly and allow air to leak.

14. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I had a '84 QV years ago that I dyno'd with the original cat and a test pipe. It had an increase of 1 hp and a loss of 1.5 ft/lb with the test pipe if I recall correctly. However, with the test pipe there was definitely added drone in the cabin and at stoplights, the smell of fuel was annoying.

15. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    Mmmm. The smell might turn me off from this.

16. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    3 years ago when I did an engine-out major and removed the cat in my US '85, the insides were shredded - large chunks missing (had to shake the stock muffler around for about 5 minutes to get most of the pieces out) so had a straight pipe with O2 bung welded in between the existing flanges I cut off.
    No noticeable performance/running difference, I haven't noticed any fuel smell, and sound is if anything a bit more raw and pleasurable to me.
    YMMV

17. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    What? Who? Duh? say again!

18. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    Got any photos of your pipe Wade?

19. SBrooks

SBrooks Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sam Brooks
    My 308 doesn't have cats and I have never noticed a smell. at least not teary eyed its car exhaust it never smells good.

20. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  21. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Turns me ON.

But then again I love the smell of burnt rubber, oil and NITROMETHANE and gunpowder too.