Ferrari 348 Soaking Wet Luggage Compartment | FerrariChat

Ferrari 348 Soaking Wet Luggage Compartment

Discussion in '348/355' started by Bojmobile, Dec 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bojmobile

Bojmobile Rookie

Dec 14, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Glenn Alcock
    Hi Ladies/Gents,

I've had my 348Tb for about 6 weeks now (I'll post some pics soon) and have enjoyed every minute of owning her until this morning. I'd noticed the car was getting a bit misty inside and discovered the passenger footwell was soaking wet. When I opened the boot it was like a pond! I've dried it as best I can just now but obviously there is a leak - I believe it to be rain water but can't clearly identify the leak site. Seals look good as far as I can tell.

Has anyone experienced this? Any tips would be great.

Cheers

Glenn

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

* Windscreen seal
    * Door seals
    * HVAC evap leak
    * magical fairy pee pee

I'd bet it's not the last one. But still, ya never know. Did the water appear after a rain storm or washing the car? Where do you live? Humid environment running the A/C a lot? Heater? Fluids can make some crazy pathways to reach their final destination.

3. Bojmobile

Bojmobile Rookie

Dec 14, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Glenn Alcock
    I live in Scotland and its almost constantly pouring with rain at the moment so the car has had a fair rinsing! Thanks for the advice - I'll do some investigating on my day off!

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

My above suggestions were for the footwell.

For the bonnet, obviously also check the bonnet rubber seal. But also, check carefully the foam/rubber surrounding piece that goes around the evaporator box. It should form a bit of a seal against the bonnet's plastic intake.

5. Bojmobile

Bojmobile Rookie

Dec 14, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Glenn Alcock
    I think if it's going to be anything then that's the culprit tbh. None of the sides of the boot carpet felt particularly wet, it's almost as if the water had come straight down. It's raining hard just now so I'll check it later.

6. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    Bet you any money its the jubliee clip which holds the hose to the heater valve in the front.

If you lift the boot, then raise the carpet on the upper section on the near side (ie, opposite side to the brake reservoir) then you can peer down into the recess and see the heater valve.

Check the condition of the clips and hoses there...

7. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Check your coolant level to see if that's the source.

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I don't have my 348 any longer, so I can't check this in person, but I believe there is a drain at the bottom of the fresh air intake chamber, below the air recirculation flap, in the front trunk/boot. If that drain is blocked, rain water will back up and flood the trunk, and it will get into the interior around the heater fan.

In the workshop manual, page I2, you can see the drain tube sticking straight down from the box. Betcha that's what's wrong. Good luck.

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Miltonian, you are an asset to us 348 owners.

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Who would drive their Ferrari in the rain?! Certainly no Brother!

11. Bojmobile

Bojmobile Rookie

Dec 14, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Glenn Alcock
    I'm a Scotsman! It's always raining!

12. alfamang35

alfamang35 Rookie

Jun 24, 2007
    1700 Ladino Rd., Sac
    Full Name:
    Phil Stubblefield
    Mine leaked badly when raining and driving hard. Turns out that one of the rubber plugs on the bottom of the trunk tub was missing. The water was just blowing in. Both the 348 and 355 use this plug. To find out if missing you have to take out the tub liner or look underneith to see if the drain hole is uncovered. Good Luck

13. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Me.. but I am English!!

Coming back from Monte Carlo after the GP on the Monday morning, I was driving back down to the Adriatic for a couple of weeks holiday, when it got darker & darker and turned into a heavy thunder and lightning storm, the rain was that bad all the Italians pulled on to the hard shoulder of the autostrada and stopped driving!! My Spider was fine and as dry as a bone!!

Regards,
    Phil.

14. Bojmobile

Bojmobile Rookie

Dec 14, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Glenn Alcock
    If they weren't meant for the rain then why have windscreen wipers! Lol