Italy: best place to buy used Ferraris low-cost? | FerrariChat

Italy: best place to buy used Ferraris low-cost?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Gilles82, Dec 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles82

Gilles82 Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2009
    Maranello (Mo) Italy
  2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

OK, good to know. At least the US won't be the only place to pick the bones clean. BTW, that's a great shot of the '94 456 under the car cover. ;)

3. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I think Germany is still cheaper in EU for most cars including Ferrari's. Strange but Austria is the most expensive for them all too.

When I looked to buy my Scuderia, Germany had the cheapest prices that I saw.

4. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Out of interest.... is VAT included in the price? I see that it's 20% in Italy. Does that mean if the car is purchased to be exported out of Italy, 20% is taken off of the price? Or does the full price still need to be paid?

5. 328turbo

328turbo Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    nyc
    Before I found the Norwood 328 turbo, I was looking to import a GTS Turbo from Italy. They were and still seem to be more expensive than a comparable 308GTS or 328GTS in the States. Before shipping.

I'm liking 456 under 30.000€, tho....

http://www.subito.it/auto/ferrari-456-matera-34572978.htm
    Search 'Ferrari' here^ and a Lancia Thema 8.32 for 3.500€ ($4600) pops up.
    Unfortunately it's hi mileage and it's a shame about the dash. But a cool little car.
    I think these were imported to Canada, but I'm not sure.

6. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
  7. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    VAT only applies to new cars so for these Ferraris there's no VAT due and non to be deducted if you export it. What you see is what you pay regardless of where you end up taking the car

8. Gilles82

Gilles82 Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2009
    Maranello (Mo) Italy
    A lot of Ferrari from 1993-2011 in the next months will be in Italian market with big discount, a very good occasion for strangers to buy a low price...

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Where are you looking in GR ?

Anybody seen Ford GTs for sale in EU ?

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The rules in the UK are (From: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/personal-vehicles.htm )

BRINGING YOUR VEHICLE FROM ANOTHER EU COUNTRY TO THE UK:
    Second-hand vehicles:
    If you're importing a second-hand vehicle you don't have to pay VAT - as long as you paid VAT in another EU country when you bought it.

IMPORTING YOUR MOTOR VEHICLE TO THE UK FROM OUTSIDE THE EU:

When you import a motor vehicle into the UK you must normally pay VAT and duty if the vehicle arrives from outside of the EU. Reliefs from duty and vat are available if you meet the rules for the relief.

If you are importing a motor vehicle into the UK from outside the EU you must declare the vehicle to Customs.

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I noticed that too (2 litre turbo GTB/S) although it wasn't always like that. I'd say about five, six, maybe seven years ago, they were inexpensive, but all of a sudden, they shot up in price... I guess maybe for rarity reasons?

As for the Lancia Thema, they were never imported into Canada when new, but now as they're well over 15 years old, they can be (and a few have been. Delta Integrales are very popular too).

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    how do you guys buy cars in italy and bring them here? i remember talking to someone at Ferrari NA about bringing a car from Saudi Arabia here and he said it wasn't allowed I could ship it here but never register it.

13. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That's true-- if it is less than 25 yrs old it would have to be a US version. After 25 yrs the Feds don't care any more, but your state might have emissions requirements to meet.

14. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    wow never knew about that rule it's good to know. So you could feasibly buy a used f40 abroad and bring it over and register it with no problems??

15. agnello11

agnello11 Karting

May 27, 2008
    Further to this thread, I did some digging and was about to fly to Naples to buy the 456M GTA (the first one linked above). The numbers all added up and at face value it looked like a win-win... I get the 456M I want at a price below what I would have to pay in the UK and get an epic journey/holiday into the bargain when I drive it home.... would have been absolutely awesome fun.
    Anyway, in the due diligence I did on that car, Italian registration DZ855KH, (which turns out to be an ex-UK car) it transpired it was a Cat-D insurance write-off in the UK at some point before being exported. That kills it for me, but I figured it was worth posting here in case anyone else was looking at the same car. It is still great value for someone, particularly from the UK, but isn't the one for me.

As part of the due diligence, I have also discovered that it is a bit of a minefield exporting cars from Italy - I think the best resource I found was here:- http://www.maserati-indy.co.uk/alfieri05.htm
    Essentially it is possible to obtain temporary export registration plates, but isn't necessarily easy! There appears to be plenty of info. available on the 'net to assist any would-be buyers, but as my experience has shown, be prepared to do a good deal of research before booking your flights... often cars that look cheap are cheap for a reason ;)

16. alessiogiorgio

alessiogiorgio Karting

Nov 24, 2007
    Italy - Sweden
    Full Name:
    alessio giorgio
    Yes, undortunately here in Italy with economical crysis and
    For The very very high taxes in The more power cars,
    More than 250 hp, The prices sre decreasing
    A lot week by week !
    I'm in The market - at these prices - For
    A couple of cars.
    But foreign people are Just here to buy :
    Last week a Swiss watch Maker very famous
    Has arrived in Montecatini to buy a Dino
    246. Gts and monday a French guy is arrived
    Before me to Rosso Corsa to buy a 355
    red with official Ferrari warranty at 40.000
    I wait till end of winter For more decreases
    IVA is now 21% and only very few cars
    Ex leasing can have splitted
    Come on. In Italy For holidays !!! But if you
    All buy cars .... I will never find two For me !!!!!!
    Ahahahahah
    Ciao
    Alessio

17. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    The you above refers to whoever bought the car when it was new and not to you the importer. If VAT was paid in any EU country when the car was new there is no way that it can be levied again when the car is being sold 2nd hand. Same rules apply in this case as to any 2nd hand car sold in the UK.

18. Gisle

Gisle Rookie

Jun 4, 2011
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Gisle Platou
    problem is that you have to go through a number of governmental offices with your paperwork.(probably located all over the city, all with different opening hours)
    If you miss out one document you have to start all over again.
    the only available language on the documents are Italian and the only language they speak is Italian..
    If someone plan to buy a car from Italy for export, take hight for some extra days for running paperwork through different offices and bring a lot of patience.

What about Belgium? In Belgium they have made paperwork for export so easy. The dealer fix this for you in a day or so. Bee aware that they do need Your original passport for registration on export licenceplates.
    I purchased a 77 308 GTB in Belgium last summer and drove it home to Norway. There where no problems with the paperwork what so ever.

19. gel69

gel69 Rookie

Oct 26, 2011
    Bartow FL
    Full Name:
    Gil Laplanche
    the VAT will not have to be paid if car is exported

20. gel69

gel69 Rookie

Oct 26, 2011
    Bartow FL
    Full Name:
    Gil Laplanche
    VAT applies all the time ( new or used products) unless exported. In most western Europe countries the vat in included in the listed price which if you are exporting will be deducted afterward.

21. sblvro

sblvro Karting

May 13, 2013
    Arkansas, FL, MI
    is it possible to buy in italy and shipped to US? what paperworks are needed? has anybody done this? any brokers in this site? the prices seem low compared to US considering euros are more.

22. Gilles82

Gilles82 Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2009
    Maranello (Mo) Italy
    33K € for a 355 Spider is quite good...

Auto usate: Ferrari, F355, Spider AutoScout24 pagina di dettaglio

23. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    No, VAT does not apply to used cars. There are exceptions when vehicles such as vans were previously owned by a VAT-registered business but this would not apply here.