Running costs ? | FerrariChat

Running costs ?

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by YellowF50, Jul 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    A lot of threads here have multiple posts of people talking about the telephone numbers it costs to run a veyron.

I remember reading somewhere about a guy who got a puncture which hurt to the tune of 14k not sure if that was dollars or sterling. I know it's just like splashing out on a rolex, and if you bought the car new, then you are surely in a position where running costs are inconsequential.

But at the rate they apper to be depreciating, they may soon be more affordable to some if they start to level out, after first couple of years of big losses.

Anyway thought it may be worth having people's first hand experiences or things they have heard relating to the veyron running costs.

Like the 14k tyre replacement, and do you really have to change the rims every 3rd tyre change and if so at what cost, or 14 oil change, so how much would a cracked windscreen cost, or a broken wing mirror, not to mention replacement disc and pads. Or damaged front bumper etc. ?

2. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd say count on an average of $100k a year. $11k per tire every 2500 miles, $50k for wheels every 10,000 miles and a $20k annual service.

3. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    It is expensive to maintain one. But not anywhere near the numbers you are talking about. $16k +- per service. If something needs replacement that is discovered @ the service interval; than costs can balloon quickly.

4. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's whats "recommended", now if you choose to follow it or not......

5. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    That is what was published; although I forget just where... reality has a way of being a bit different.

6. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Sometime back, I calculated it as $50 per mile or so. My Lambo has been about $10 per mile.

Those are all-in numbers including depreciation, maintenance, repair, annual fees, gas, etc. etc. That's just my calculation, take it with a grain of salt.

7. Nick360

Nick360 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    I've heard maintenance costs of $200,000 annually.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Perhaps if used as a taxi in NYC... otherwise that's just silly.

9. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    #9 funkstar, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    "A new set costs 25,700 Euros, or a bit more than £17,000."

This was correct in 2006 so factor it up slightly now. Source was from a certified McLaren F1 owner who has priced up Veyron ownership.

Fuel tank seems a pretty decent size too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347816/Fuel-duty-rise-Veyron-drivers-192-Britains-priciest-petrol-station.html

Anecdotal (but fairly sound) research suggests about £10-£20k for a decent service. Bills really rocket if parts need to be replaced. The construction of the veyron means that to replace parts much of the car has to be dismantled, afterall there is a W16 engine squeezed in with many radiators, a chunky 4wd system, 4 turbos, huge gearbox etc.

10. NormX

NormX Rookie

Sep 8, 2011
    Arizona USA
    If you have to ask what it costs, one thing is certain, you can't afford it.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Disagree, some people just want to know...The mega rich didn't get rich by being stupid with their money.

12. jomoyer

jomoyer Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh M.
    Good one.

13. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    WOW! That was awesome.

14. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Why do the wheels need to be replaced every 10k miles?

15. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I am curious about this also.

16. NormX

NormX Rookie

Sep 8, 2011
    Arizona USA
    The tires are bonded to the rim. I think the rims will only take two bondings and them must be replaced. At one time they had to be sent back to France. Now I think in can be done it Santa Monica.

17. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I read this article regarding the wheels/tires online.

The main reason for the great expense, Autocar explains, is the fact that they have to be capable of 253 mph “over 100 mph faster than Concorde’s landing speed.” However according to the report, what’s worse is that every fourth tyre change (assuming you can afford to run the car that long) the Veyron’s wheels have to be stress tested for cracks. The replacement cost for these 20-inch forged rims is said to be another £7050 (8077 euros; $11,544 each.

According to Autocar, a standard service for the Bugatti Veyron costs £12,866 (14,741 euros; $21,069). So when you factor in a set of four new tyres (£23,500) and one replacement wheel (£7050), a complete service could realistically cost a whopping £43,416 (49,754 euros; US$71,092). No-one mentioned if that is before or after VAT. Little wonder then that one Veyron owner has reported taken to the comparatively more economical option of having his car trailed to wherever he wants to drive it, while he follows in his private jet.

18. mannyk

mannyk Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Newport beach
    Full Name:
    Manny
    Oil service is only 1500 dollars but every 2 years the service is about 17k. Tires don't know yet but my wing sensor replacement cost almost 8k! I can tell you it's worth every dollar..

19. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    What does the wing sensor do? Tell you if it's up or down? I can't imagine something like that costing $8k, unless they did really have to disassemble a large part of the car to get at it.

20. mannyk

mannyk Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Newport beach
    Full Name:
    Manny
    Wing is critical part of the car for braking and down force. It comunicates with engine computer and reacts in fraction of second. Yes part is 1600 rest is labor

21. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I figured labor would be the brunt of the cost. Are the actuators for the wing hydraulic or electric?

22. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They are hydraulic, but laser controlled which certainly adds to the cost.

23. mannyk

mannyk Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Newport beach
    Full Name:
    Manny
    Yup

24. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    I heard that refitting the bumper etc after service is a PITA as they have to get the fitment perfect or the wing won't work or tear something apart, happened before :eek:

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas