Penn Jersey 400i + 412 | FerrariChat

Penn Jersey 400i + 412

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Mar 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Penn Jersey region had its Spring "Rally" over the rural roads on NW Jersey, yes rural does exist in NJ! The car running just behind me in our starting order was a 412 that I have not seen before. It is 63755. Dave do you have record of this car? I do not recall the owners name.

It ran quite well (he kept up with me!). One interesting note about his car is that it has TRX wheels and tires but the wheels are totally different offset due to the ABS brakes (?) and he had 45 rather than 55 profile tires on it, which means it set a bit low. Is this a standard 412 setup?

I am attaching two pics from High Point State Park, our mid-rally pit stop. (I tried to attach two pics but the procedure failed, I sent a note to the administrator per instructions). The 412 is black over tan. I will post pics when I get it sorted out.
    Ken

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    That car was sold on eBay from Doylestown, PA, in September 2007. Looks very nice (I have a webarchive of the listing).

Aidan

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's one I missed on my list. Anyway, are you sure about the 45 series tires on the convex 412 TRX wheels? You are right in that the 412 wheels are convex rather than concave like on the 400i series to accomodate the ABS brakes. The 412 was the first Ferrari with ABS. The stock tire configuration was 55 series profile but I guess, as Dave has shown from ads, there are 45 series TRX tires that will fit the 415 wheels.

What can you tell us about the colors, the mileage and the transmission type?

Thanks,

John

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Black and tan, auto, 47,500 miles in Sept 2007.

Aidan

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thank-you Aidan for sharing that info, Dave will appreciate it when he comes back to this planet (he hasn't been around since about Christmas time iirc). His 1st release (spring 2006 I think) only shows serial # for that 412.

btw all, Dave's database cd is very informative & a must have....& cheap too..$25. It's nice to have the info. @ your fingertips when needed, & anytime you have info. on any 365/400/412's that's not in his database, 'please' submit in our section. It's impossible for Dave to catch it all.

Ken,

412's were equipped w/55 series TRXs (not sure if the XWX's were avail.) but they are rated to 150mph max. & the 412 tops out @ 155mph. The owner probably switched to the Z speed rated 45 series tires for that reason. I considered doing the same but was very concerned about the tiny looking tires in the wheelwells. That's the one issue I have w/the 512 boxer, a heard of cats can hang out in the rear wheelwells...you gotta love the look of the larger TRXs on the 400s over the XWXs.
    Also, I remember the tread pattern of the 45 series being the same as the 55's a couple of years ago, plus the 45 series was a few $$ cheaper. That's all changed now. Do you remember the tread pattern?

Bruce

http://store.coker.com/240-45zr415-michelin-trx-gt.html

http://store.coker.com/240-55vr415-michelin-trx.html

6. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Tires were definitely 45 series and the wheel wells did not look more open but the car DID look lower.

Based on the coker pics the tread were TRX-GT not TRX.
    Ken

p.s. Is Dave stomping grapes with his feet again??

7. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    #7 SouthJersey400i, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Web master has asked me to try to upload pics again. Here goes.

It looks like it worked! My 400i and wife are in front of the 412. Front wheel well looks a bit empty but not the rear. Did 412's have hydraulics in rear?

To me, the car looked quite good except it could use a good polish/wax job.
    Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Michelin discontinued the standard TRX in the 240/45VR415 and decided make the 240/45ZR415 because it came on the BMW M6. Made it difficult for TR owners because of the mismatched tread. It looks like either Coker doesn't carry the 280's anymore or Michelin has stopped making them.

9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 412's have hydraulic self levellers in the rear, which settle a bit after it's been parked, and which is probably why the front wheel wells looks a bit empty.

M

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Jerry,

When I picked up my TRX's last fall @ Cokers, Daniel informed me that Coker owns the molds & that they request runs of them from Michelin when stock runs low. T or F??
    The 240/45ZR415's were used up front on the TR & the 280's on the rears. What experience did you have @ Cokers of sales/w TR owners? Maybe more often than not, TR owners changed wheels to rid the TRX's.

Bruce

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1 on the self levellers.
    The pix appear to be a one day gathering/show, & if that's the case, I'm thinking that it's either the seals in the levellers are shot (less likely) or rotate the fork (that the leveling valve/mini Koni is attch'd. to) on the sway/stabilizer bar to bring the rear up to the desired height. The overall dia. of the ZR's are a good 2" less than the VR's so some lift is needed, which in turn will open up the rear wheel well a bit. I have found that with the car @ correct stitic position (space frame & bumpers @ same height front & rear), the top 1" +/- of the 55VR's are concealed by the upper wheel well lip.

B.

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    63755 has been sold again. http://www.steelwings.com/ViewContemporary.aspx?id=357
    I rode in this car a few weeks ago. It pulled very well but the auto trans had issues - a bit of a surprise considering it is one of the cheapest things to fix. The paint was very nice except that the driver's side headlight cover area appeared to have been touched up. Overall, a very nice car and if I recall, it was in the upper twenties. Hopefully, everything checks out and the new owner has many enjoyable miles!

Regards,

Art S.

13. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Perhaps the trans. issues are the reason only 174 miles have been accumulated since 2007.

14. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Fixing whatever ails a GM TH-400 can't be that big a deal.
    Getting it out of the car might constitute major surgery.
    I presume you have to slide the rear end and torque tube rearward or remove them both.
    Has anyone experience with these costs?
    Greg

15. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    If you want some pointers on some of the things involved, I will be glad to point these things out after the holidays..Mine was done just one year ago this month, with many thanks to Brettski in Canada. I think I can post some pics.You can totally rebuild this tranny first class for <>$1100USD plus removal and refit.Jacques.

16. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Jaques,
    That sounds about right on a TH-400 re-do.
    Mine isn't having any issues but it would be educational to see how to get one out of the car.
    Greg