7 second 1/4 mile Ferrari. | FerrariChat

7 second 1/4 mile Ferrari.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I was reading an article in Turbo magazine. This guy named Bob, they didn't give his last name, had a Ferrari that he did a radical mod to. He called it his 308BB. It has a prostock style frame, and he put a supercharged flat 12 TR engine in it. He used an 118mm Turbo that he rigged up to run off of a gear drive. It was pumping out between 50 and 60 pounds of boots. He also had a water to air intercooler. He took it to the strip and it beat the old record of 7.50 with a time of 7.02!!! The NHRA changed the rules so that only roots type blowers can be used. He said that it is sitting in his garage collecting dust. I wonder if it is Bob Norwood?

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yup, they are talking about norwood.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I kinda figured that. Hahahaaaa. Those good old boys didn't like getting stomped at their own game by a Ferrari.

5. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    A monster in 308 clothing.

6. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    DEAR GOD.

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Oh....My........GGG....(mouth hanging open)

That is soooooo cool! I would love to hear that bugger run! I would love to have a video of it! A Ferrari drag car.....I love it! I was lucky enough to see an F40 at Route 66 dragway make a couple of passes during the Vette-Viper shootout. My ZR-1's best time was a 12.26 at 116mph, about the same as most of the Vipers coupes. There were faster cars but they had extensive mods to them. So with the American V8s and V10s ringing in our ears....we suddenly hear an odd sound. A flat crank V8 doing a hellacious burnout.....lots of smoke....sounding very mean. Everyone starts running to the strip to see what it was. Then this guy in his stock F40 on street tires runs an 11.80 time at 128mph! Truly phenominal. His next pass was even quicker but I didn't get to see it....but I still heard it. When the viper guys heard that the motor was a whopping 2.9 litres they just couldn't believe it. Maybe Ferraris aren't intended for drag racing...but you'd never know it by that F40!

8. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Well, now we know what we need to make a 1400hp TR. Sign me up!

The supercharged 12-cylinder Boxer engine, featuring a lightened flywheel and knife-edged crank, and could rev from the engine’s 1200 RPM idle to the 9K redline in just over a tenth of a second, and had been certified on a Superflow 901 engine dyno to make 1400 horsepower on 120-octane gasoline at 60psi boost. The short-stroke 3.2-inch bore engine was upgraded with a billet Crower crankshaft, extra-long Crower rods, custom forged pistons, and was managed by a Haltech F3 EFI controller and a Firepower direct-fire 12-coil ignition. According to Norwood, each 24-valve head was carefully flowed and mildly ported for optimum forced breathing.