Apps, apps, apps - Iphone, Android et al - Post 'em up! | FerrariChat

Apps, apps, apps - Iphone, Android et al - Post 'em up!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Fast_ian, Dec 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

There's quite a few threads floating around mentioning recommended apps etc and I thought it would be nice to put 'em together..... Don't want to get into any religious debates on which platform is better, just share some thoughts on good (and bad!) apps you're using.

Dropbox - Runs on everything and I'd be lost without it.

Viber (again, runs on everything) - My boys turned me onto this as a low (battery) load alternative to Skype - It doesn't do video but call quality to the UK is great. And you don't need to login like Skype - It uses your contact #'s. Further, it's only a matter of time before Micro$oft screws Skype up somehow....... ;)

No affiliation with either btw and they're both free.

Yours?

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    iPad-2 here:

Dropbox (ESSENTIAL!! to get files onto the iPad)
    Evernote
    GoodReader (AWESOME tool for accessing Google Docs)
    Shazzam - ID's any song you're listening to - amazing app
    TextNow - text to any cell phone
    Dolphin Browser - WAY better than Safari

I have gazillions more, but those are the big ones for me...

Jedi

3. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thanks! That's a new one on me.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's really cool - tabbed browsing, slide left for bookmarks. Just
    way better than Safari. It's free - give it a go.

Jedi

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Nice one! [Although, Safari does have tabbed browsing.] It seems to have also eliminated the (somewhat) famous "can't scroll until zoomed in & out" problem on Fchat we discussed a while back - It's worth it just for that!

A few more;

- Obviously, Find my iPhone (& iPad) - Forgot where you left it - Send it a message to command it to play a sound and voila!.......
    - Red Laser - More of an iPhone app but very nice when shopping.
    - Around me - Pretty neat little app, although Siri is taking over that role on the phone.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    On the iPad - "Skitch". A very simple way to mark up photos. One of the few free apps that I actually use.

7. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    On Android:

Alarmclock Xtreme (alarm clock)

gReader Pro (Google Reader client... Better than Google Reader itself IMO.)

RealCalc (very nice calculator)

Tapemachine (powerful voice recorder app)

Agenda Widget (great home screen calendar)

Sent from my DroidX running CM74GB using Tapatalk

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For Android "Exchange Rates", the best currency converter I seen yet

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    For Android:

Torque- A handy OBD2 reader. Needs a OBD2 bluetooth dongle (around $20 from Amazon)

10. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Taptalk- it allows you to use FChat and other forums in a friendly mobile setup. I only use it to upload photos I've taken from my iPhone. I use Safari for everything else on here though.
    ESPNF1- allows me to stay caught up on all things F1
    Carbuzz- it gives you 10 or so car related stories each day. It's pretty good.

11. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Hey Dom,

I've read that torque can be somewhat picky when it comes to the dongle you use. If you are using torque, which dongle are you having success with?

Sent from my DroidX running CM74GB using Tapatalk

12. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I bought this one from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Soliport-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-wireless/dp/B004KL0I9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325605926&sr=8-1

I think Torque will work with many of the elcheapos, the issue is getting a good one (i.e. quality control). For ~$20, I figured couldn't hurt to try. Mine seems to be OK for now.

P.S.- you need a code to pair it with the bluetooth on the phone. It is usually 1234. I used a silver sharpie and wrote it on the side of the dongle)

13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Wolfram Alpha is a must have.

FoodGazer aggregates recent recipes from a lot of different blogs and is quite good.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Nope.

Seems it doesn't do it quite as much, but I'm still seeing it. :(

Anyone else?

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Want to know what's on your network?

"Fing" [I presume a play on ping.]

It'll find all the devices and then do a port scan on any you select. [If you don't know what that is, then you probably don't need it.... ;)]

Turns out my local bar is providing access to the dry cleaners and hairdressers that are close by.....

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Fing for iOS only allows you to gather information on the network you are on. Open or not, it's frowned upon to connect to any networks that you do not own or have permission to access.

Since Apple frowns on hacker tools, the only way to grab more flexible tools is from Cydia.

Beyond all that, it's a good app and is better than the few paid apps I've tried.

18. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I like Endomondo for tracking my cycling/hiking/cross country ski workouts. It tracks you, recording your speed, pace, vertical, calories expended, etc, and plots your route on a satellite photo. You can also set it up to "coach" you via bluetooth.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    That's why I said "info about *your* network"..... ;)

The two "outsiders" I mentioned using it are worth it according to the bar owners - They don't want to have a password or cloak it apparently.......

+1 I'd really like to "capture" the username/pwd they use to access the security cameras - I know it's standard HTTP on port 80 but as you say such tools are at best "frowned upon"..... They used to have a monitor in the back that showed which were working etc but not they just access 'em via the web server........

Indeed - Very well reviewed by many folk and free. Gotta love that.

Cheers,
    Ian

20. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tapatalk-for FerrariChat on the go.

ESPN Scorecenter-can give you updates on your favorite teams. For example, I will get Rangers scores at the end of the 3rd and 6th innings, along with the final. I can get Mavs scores at the end of each quarter. And I can get the same with the Patriots, as well as each scoring play.

USPS-for tracking most of my eBay purchases in the mail.

Wells Fargo-can check my account balance on the go.

DirecTV-can check the guide on the go.

21. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Port 80 access is so owners of said security devices can access the whole lot from home using an internet browser...it's likely you can access those feeds by sniffing out what ports the devices are using, likely they are using some ports other than 80 for basic com talk.

A decent Linux distro, a sniffing app coupled with a NIC in promiscuous mode will give you all you need to know in terms of what's zipping around the air around your house or the network you want to poke around in.

To this day, I am boggled by the number of routers that do not default to HTTPS for remote admin.

22. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    We have a modest collection of DVDs (>200) and Blu-Rays (maybe >30 and growing) Games (>50) that we would like to have cataloged.

We have an excel sheet that lists all of our movies, games for various consoles, etc in google documents. However it is a bit cumbersome to try and check while out looking to buy before we buy a duplicate, and has gotten somewhat out of date over time.

Does anyone know of an android app that would help us manage our collections without too much hassle?

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep. When I scanned the ip address it showed a server on port 80 and indeed prompts for username/pwd when opened. It did also show another port open - Can't remember which right now but I assume that's where the video is actually streaming.

Indeed. My only Linux box is a big ol' tower though! ;)

+1 And further, the # of 'em that allow access from "the outside" (by default) with a default (or no) password. :eek:

Cheers,
    Ian

24. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    I like Score mobile for my sports results both on iOS and android

25. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Droidsheep, et al

You might want to think twice about using public wifi until you familiarize yourself with this app