Ferrari 458 Italia SP12 - Eric Clapton | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 Italia SP12 - Eric Clapton

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 430 scuderia, Oct 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    #1 430 scuderia, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
    Hello guys. Any news about Eric's Clapton Ferrari 458 V12..?? Does anyone know if the construcrion have started??

Thank you in advance..

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I reported on Eric Clapton's car a couple of weeks ago in the Boxer section. I was at the factory as it was being finished and test driven, but unfortunately we just missed the car and didn't see it.

My contacts in the factory told me it is a 458 that has been given a different body, a modern variant of the Boxer. It is not a V12 - to get a V12 458 on the road would be very, very, difficult and expensive because it would need new crash tests etc.. To replace the body is much easier. At least - this is what I was told.

I am sure that the story of the V12 came from the fact that all Boxers are 180 degree V12's.

It is a shame that we haven't seen any pictures of it so far. I do hope they surface at some point as I am very curious to see what this interpretation of the Boxer would look like. It'd be hard to improve on Leonardo Fioravanti's lines!

Onno

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Its hard to imagine a modern version of the Boxer but the result could be stunning.

4. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Oh i understand. With a V12 it would be a monster and a very special spec car.. Thank you very much for the informations JazzyO

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    First I have heard that this special 458 was given a different body; any mention of the exterior color? Onno that is very exciting news!
    At least the engine is in the right place for a 'Boxer' theme design.
    I wonder if this 458 model has 3 tail lights on each side of the rear lic plate holder???
    CH

6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Can't tell you anything more than I was told at the Classiche department. They do the one-offs on one side of the department. There was an SA Aperta there being customised to GTO specification, but we just missed the 458 Boxer by half an hour or so. If I could go back in time I would change my visiting hours! It's exciting news but because I haven't heard anything about it from any other source, I'm almost starting to doubt my own story.... :( Anyway, let's hope she surfaces somewhere soon.

Onno

7. Bulai69

Bulai69 Rookie

Oct 24, 2011
    I saw the car very recently; it looks absolutely excellent: obvious BB themes including "two tone" (but dark red metallic not Rosso Corsa), front grill, (dummy) horizonal slats on front boot lid but curved, matt black "carb covers" on engine compartment lid etc etc. It's brilliant because it's obviously not a BB, it has all the style of a 458 on which it's based (it's certainly not a V12) but it's equally obviously 2011. Three have been made: styling dummy, one crash test car and the current (only) real one. I assume the contributor who commented on one being "test driven" must have been referring to the crash test car as the real one is not quite finished. Everyone will want one - but contractually Ferrari can't supply unless EC agrees - and why would he?

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Thanks for the great details about this new one off 458 speciale. Hopefully it's story will grace the pages of 'The Official Ferrari Magazine' in the not too distant future.

Maybe Elton John will get a modern rendition of the Boxer theme to....
    CH

9. nikey22

nikey22 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Windsor, ON
    Full Name:
    Nick
    okay, so Eric Clapton said in an interview, that there is nothing quit like the sound of a V-12 ferrari engine, its music to his ears.... how is he going to accept this "new" Ferrari with a body kit etc etc and a V-8 that all of us mortals have??

10. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I doubt you have one....but I am sure he has a few to enjoy ;-)

11. Bulai69

Bulai69 Rookie

Oct 24, 2011
    This car is more than a 458 with "body kit" ...

12. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Any additional information?

13. XTP

XTP Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Xander
    Any information or pictures of the car?

Gr.
    Xander

14. 16MMM

16MMM Rookie

Sep 14, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    Randall
    Boxers are technically not 180 degree V12s; by opening the angle of the cylinder banks about the crankshaft to 180 degrees there is no "V", just an opposing (Boxer) 12.

15. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    There is no V shape but in every other way it is a V12, which is why they are classified as a 180 degree V12. This is not my invention but well documented in literature. They are NOT true Boxer engines, true Boxers have any 2 opposing pistons sharing 1 double pin on the crank so that they move towards each other or away from each other in synch. In other words, they fire at the same time. This is not the case with Ferrari's flat 12s.

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Correct, but the Berlinetta Boxer and the TestaRossa did not have boxer engines in them. They had 180 degree V12s.

A Boxer crankshaft as 2 throws per pair of main bearings, a V has one crank journal per pair of connecting rods.

Porsche engines are 6 cylinder boxers,
    Ferrari flat 12s are V12s with a 180 degree angle between banks.

17. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The car is based on the looks of a BB with 458 mechanicals. The pics I saw were really nice. I believe it's almost finished.

18. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    New for presentation of the car maybe at cavallino classic, when you think?

19. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Sounds really promising because to me the BB shape still looks modern today and combine that with the 458 mechanicals and it the result will be something pretty special.

20. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    News for realese pics of th'is car ?

21. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The car has been delivered to Mr Clapton apparently. Not seen pics of the finished car - hopefully some time in March I am told.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's supposed to look like a rebodied 512 boxer -- not a 458. It's a 458 under the skin but looks like a boxer on the outside.

That's the latest rumor.

23. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Latest? I reported that in September.

Onno

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes but that's the latest.

25. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    That's correct and from early pics I saw it looks stunning. But then the 512 had great proportions.