Rattle coming from passenger side | FerrariChat

Rattle coming from passenger side

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by manderson952, Jan 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey all,

New the forum here. I have a '10 Cali and I have been dealing with this issue for a while. I have taken the car to the dealer for them to check it out, yet for some reason they are unable to fix it. There is a very loud, and annoying rattle coming from the rear passenger side. I can only hear it if the windows are down, or if I have the top retracted. Along with squeaky breaks, this is very annoying. It only occurs when I hit a rough patch of road, or if I hit a high spot...the streets or SF are not the smoothest. Does anyone have this issue?

Thanks

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Brake noise: Have the dealer replace the front pads if you don't already have the new pads.
    I was told that there is no replacement pad for the rears.

But- I stumbled upon a pretty good solution while washing my car. If you spray a very light fine mist of a mixture of 99%water with 1% dawn soap on the disc the noise goes away. This lasts about 2 weeks.

3. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    No idea about the rattle.....but for the brakes the best thing to do is every couple of weeks or so brake very hard from at least 50mph to a stop. That will clean the brakes and stop the squeaks.

4. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for the reply. I've actually had everything on the breaks changed out. Prior to doing so, the squeaking was much more intense. They only begin to make noise now once they are heated up a bit. Not really sure what to do about that. I will try the soap solution though, thanks.

- Morgan

5. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    #5 manderson952, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    Awesome - I will try that as well. Also, another issue I'm having is with the top. It goes down fine, but when I try to put it back up is when I have an issue. This didn't happen for a long time, but not it's all the time. It says that the "roof closed" but when I release the roof switch, and push it up again, it says "trunk open" Not sure, and this started happening after the last dealer visit.

edit: I just found a post related to the roof issue. Seems like a simple dealership visit.

6. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    I have heard the rattle as well... Sounds like a vibrating heat shield or something only when going over bumps. It's most noticeable with top down or windows open especially if driving along side a wall or tall fence, hedge... The sound reflects back at you. I asked dealer to check it out and they didn't hear it or know what I was talking about. Glad someone else is hearing it... I knew I wasn't crazy

7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I had exactly the same problem and it went to the dealer three times over the course of 18 months but each time they failed. I eventually traced it to the hand brake calliper which had some slack in it and needed tightening. I can almost guarantee you that this is what it is.

8. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Awesome. I did see this in a previous post. I think it was about a 430 though. I will mention that when I take it in next time. I have just over 6200 miles on her, and I am experiencing more problems than I would like to at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Morgan

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Can you check your service invoice and see what exactly they tightened.

The parking brake caliper was tightened? On both sides? Which cable?

10. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 2010 did this also. In my case it was the slack in the hand-brake cable also. It is much better now.

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    So the caliper was loose or the cable was loose... seems as if we have two different diagnoses... one thing I have noticed is the vent behind the door looks like it could develop a rattle. The vent at the end of the sill on each side.

12. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I was thinking the same thing (about the two different diagnoses). I also think that it could be an issue w/ the door, because it seems to be up high, not under the body. Not that I'm familiar w/ where the hand brake caliper/cable is. I almost thought it was the fuel door, or something in that area.

13. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    I have the same rattle

Thanks for the people posting what the cause of the rattle is because the dealer said the "couldn't find anything wrong"

14. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mine was the cable, not the caliper. The cable was "slapping" - especially when I'd hit bumps or turn hard left.

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Regretfully I am overseas with no access to my history but from memory it was the cable and just on what would be the passenger side in a left hand drive car. Good luck and let us know!

16. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, thank you! The car goes in next Tuesday. Along w/ a check engine light, and the roof problem, this will be the second time that it's been in for this rattle . I've mentioned that the cable could be the source of the problem. I will update as soon as I hear back.

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They just need to check the entire assembly, cable, caliper etc andtheywill find it.

18. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    #18 manderson952, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With a check engine light on, and that damn rattle, she's off to get fixed. Hopefully the rattle is due to the brake cable, or something insignificant like that. Will update as soon as I get her back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    Why is she going via flatbed?

20. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    RSA - Check engine light.

Open your tool kit below the floor of the trunk and make sure there isn't anything in there loose.

I had a car that the spare plate was put in there and the rattle was horrendous. Didn't take long for our techs to figure out what it was, but none the less.

"Trunk open" - did you possibly leave anything at any point in time above the stowage compartment and close the trunk?

21. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I had a similar problem, but the source was unusual. Open the trunk and check the metallic colored inserts/ trim on either side of the trunk latching ring where the trunk lid latches to the body. These trim plates are glued in place and mine had become detached and were making the racket, which you could only hear windows down. Good luck.

22. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    The dealer said that since there is a check engine light on that Ferrari Roadside would come and pick up the car.

That's interesting. The only reason I didn't think about that is because it certainly sounds like it's coming from the lower right-hand side, and not directly behind me.
    I do, however, store the extra license plate in the trunk and this whole trunk issue started when I think I crushed the plate trying to close the top (though the way the top closes makes me think that isn't the case). However, I have noticed that many people are having this problem, so that makes me think otherwise too (the plate does have a bent edge on it). I've never stored anything above the stowage compartment. It's always below that partition that's there.

If for some reason they don't fix it, I will check that. Thanks.

23. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Ok, FINALLY the car was returned to me. The rattle was in fact what everyone has mentioned. It was a lose parking brake cable in the right rear. The engine light was due to the exhaust. The top was also fixed...yay.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!

24. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    Thanks for reporting back

Any chance you can detail what the exhaust problem was, was it a cracked manifold

Did they then reprogram the Engine control unit with new software to suit the manifold?

25. manderson952

manderson952 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    They mention performing a software update in the NCM and NCR control units, which didn't solve the problem. The report states that they found clogged air ports in the exhaust, which cleared the error.