F1 355 or not? | FerrariChat

F1 355 or not?

Discussion in '348/355' started by godabitibi, Jan 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Hi guys! I'm new here. I'm a 1977 308GTB owner since 2000 and love the car and looking to upgrade to a 355 F1. Should I do it? Are the 355 hard to maintain? I do ALL my work myself as I live in a far area from any large city. Can I diagnose the car with a regular scan tool for OBDII or not. Is the F1 troublesome or a good transmission? Should I go with a 6 speed manual? Any info is welcome. Thank you all!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Whilst you are probably the first to ask this year your question comes up every few days (it feels like) so it'd be worth your while doing a search on '355 buying' or '355 guide' and read some of the threads that look promising to get some background

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Plenty of issues with the 355's. Esp the F1's (like mine) but I absolutely love my car. There is a wealth of information on this forum. Just do a search. Most guys will probably lean toward a gated shifter though. I like the feel of an F1 and it makes mine feel like more of a modern Ferrari. But that's just my two cents. Good liuck!!

4. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    For working on your own car, I'd say go with the gated 6-speed. Your mileage may vary...

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    First Ferrari? look for a 6 speed exclusively.

I have the F1 on my 355 and I'm really, really pleased with the car- But everyone has to have a Ferrari gated shifter at some point in their life.

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I learned a lot about the F1 system and it's weaknesses by doing searches on this site. I have numerous subscribed threads that detail the system and repairs / faults.

I love the F1 system in my car and wanted one because I have enough three pedal auto's already. To each his own.

Take some time and do the research....then decide for yourself.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The gearbox and clutch of an F1 car is virtually the same as a "6-speed" car, it's the fancy whizbang control part that is different. While they are fairly reliable, if you do have a real problem there might be no economical way to fix it yourself. Your OBDII scan tool won't help you with it. A more sophisticated, dedicated tool like an SD1 is required even for replacing the clutch or bleeding the system.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Full garage I allreay own a 5 speed 308 for 12 years now. But after reading some of the thread here I think I will look for a gated shifter. The tools needed to service those things are out of my range. I hope the engine is easier to work with. Are these cars OBDII like ALL cars should be after 1996? My weber 308 is so easy to work maybe I should just keep it.

9. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I recently heard that is costs $40,000 for the scan tool for the F1 system. Some independent shops don't have this due to the cost.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No F1 for me. Ever. If that means I don't drive newer Ferraris, well, so be it.

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Very few independent shops have one.

12. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    That's not completely true. There are procedures to do both of those repairs with in car resets that do not require the SD computer.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thank you guys! It was very short as a decision but I'm allready set. I'll be looking for a 6 speed. I own my 308 for 12 years now and really enjoy the car. I just sold another convertible and wanted to buy a 355 convertible to replace both cars as I have a friend who wants my 308. More info about the 355 engine is welcome too.

14. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Happy hunting ;)

I agree that a 6-speed is the better choice for a 355. There are tons of threads on here about the 355 and all of it's problems so with a little searching, you can find all of them. Just make sure to get a full PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) with a leakdown test before you buy any 355.

15. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    To each his own- I now have the system on my 355 and my Maserati Spyder- and one of the great driving thrills is downshifitng into a fast sweeping corner with both hands on the wheel...never missing a beat....

16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Time for "show and tell".

17. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #17 WATSON, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is referenced twice in the WSM's. I have read them cover to cover several times. Bradan actually walked through this with me over the phone.

WSM Book #2 - Section D - Page 41. It starts as noted below.

Too much mystery about the F1 system. If people really understand it, it is not that big of a deal. My pump was replaced with a 360 version before I got the car...but that pump failed for some reason. I put in a new one in in an afternoon and it cost me $595.00. It's not as bad as everyone would have you believe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Although I just bought my 355 F1 I'm loving it. Something different than that standard 3 pedal.
    If it ever breaks (knock on wood) I might be singing a different tune.