Capristo Headers Only | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Capristo Headers Only

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, May 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    Hello folks, let me chime in to say that i recently installed on my F430 Spider both Capristo headers and racing exhaust (no valves) with stock cats...

WOW.. what a sound: ten times better than stock and, imho, even better than a Scuderia

At the Ferrari dealer they were quite impressed by the looks, materials and craftsmanship involved with Capristo stuff..

Now this car sounds just like i wanted (even runs slightly better and feels more responsive)

Definitely recommended

2. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #302 SfefVan, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Greg for the picture of the Scud headers. Despite the heat shield cover around the headers, we can still clearly see the design as posted before. They are definitely 4-2-1 headers. It’s very interesting that Ferrari changed their header design for the Scud. Cylinder 4 + 1 together and Cylinders 2 + 3 which makes sense of course. Capristo uses the same approach but resolves the 4-2-1 principle in a very different way grouping the individual exhaust pipes much further than the Scud. Also, the 2 to 1 path is much longer on the Capristo headers. No conclusions here, just interesting to observe the different designs ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Super cool, thanks for your feedback :) Your ears are going to love it as we all do now :)

4. docsher

docsher Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    From a performance stand point I can't see why there's so much interest in the 4-2-1 manifolds or "Tri-Y" as they were called when developed for the GM cross plane crank engines, circa 1988, with the awkward 18436572 firing order. The flat plane crank with a 15374826 or 18364527 ignition sequence (cylinder numbering is different to the GM of course...up & down rather than alternating side to side) allows each manifold to produce an exhaust pulse every 90 deg. of crankshaft rotation that should enable good scavenging of the cylinder next in the firing order on that particular exhaust side. It was my understanding that this allowed the 2 exhaust manifolds to easily achieve equal wave dynamic properties so the 4 into 1 merge collector should be just fine. What am I not understanding chaps?

5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    When you hear the Capristo headers, you'll know what all the excitement is about ...

6. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    Can I ask a dumb question? I can understand why a better shield will benefit by reducing the heat in the engine bay. But doesn't that means that it increases the temperature of what's wrapped inside? Is that good for the wrapped parts like exhaust headers or catylitic converter?

P.S. Living this thread, I am learning a lot from the discussions.

Will

7. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    No problem Will. What counts most is to get out the heat as fast as possible. With a perfect heat insulation wrap, heat won't have time to be exchanged with air and will remain in the headers. The headers can stand much higher temperatures than the exhaust gases and the cats will never be unhappy with high temperatures as they need 600-800 C / 1100 F – 1500 F to operate efficiently. Although, other engine components like the alternator, coil packs, wire harnesses, A/C compressor, accessory belt, etc will suffer a lot from the heat if the headers are not insulated. It is just impossible to overheat the Capristo exhaust headers with just exhaust gases as their headers are made from stainless steel grade 1.4828.

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #308 RichardCH, Oct 2, 2011
    Here is a pic of SCUD headers (with air rail without cats) and F430 Mk2 headers with cats, it kinda looks like the Mk2 430 header is also a 4-2-1 design
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #309 RichardCH, Oct 2, 2011
  10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #310 RichardCH, Oct 2, 2011
  11. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    Very nice colour combo, and it's good that you can see if underneath gets dirty.

12. docsher

docsher Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    Another reply to DoctorWill might be that if the materials are correctly selected exhaust heat is your friend. In a performance exhaust the speed of sound limits particle flow and in this system the most effective way of increasing the speed of sound is by increasing temperature. Racing exhausts are often insulated from ambient temperature so as to keep the temp. up for an extended distance down the tubes. Another aspect to think about is that in the racing world different circuits at times require different exhaust performance characteristics. This is completely impractical for road use but demonstrates that there are multiple solutions according to what's required from the engine.

13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Strangely the white diffuser doesn't seem to collect any dirt, I love the 430 curved engine cover window sides, its a design classic ....

14. DoctorWill

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    That painted rear diffuser looks awesome!!! How did they paint around the fins? I assume they're one piece or perhaps the fins are removable?

Will

15. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Yes, you can remove the fins from the diffuser. They are just screwed on it.

16. DoctorWill

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thank you for the explanation! When insulation improves, more heat gets to exit through the exhaust!

17. DoctorWill

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    I just got my Scuderia, so I am still wuite content with the new sound compared to my 911 Turbo S. The Capristo system is probably something I'd consider if I end up keeping the car longer! I gotta find some Southern California cars so I can hear the difference!

18. [R]

[R] Karting

Jul 10, 2011
    anyone want to sell used header like fabspeed or capristo?

19. Nashtyboy

Nashtyboy Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Stefvan, just wanted to say thanks a lot for all of the detailed pics and install directions. I bought a set of the brackets this week and was pretty surprised to find that they didn't come with any instructions. I'm hoping that what you've typed up above will be enough to help my buddy and I muddle through the job this weekend. It seems pretty straightforward, but my car is still very new to me, so I haven't quite gotten over the trepidation I have about taking apart the Ferrari :).

20. Nashtyboy

Nashtyboy Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Oh, and I meant to ask - do you still suggest lubricating the bolts that sit inside the springs with anti-seize, even though you later discovered that they are self-locking? Thanks.

21. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Stef does not post on this site anymore. PM me if you want to know where he is hanging out now a days.

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    we need stef back!!!

23. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
  24. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think I saw them at our local Ferrari dealer several years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

colorfull likes this.