Rally challenge, Whos in? | FerrariChat

Rally challenge, Whos in?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Mojo, Jan 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I was thinking of holding a rally race challenge this summer, Top Gear style.
    Looking for input and wondering who would be interested.

1st off I was thinking $1000 to spend on a car total, maybe $700 for car and $300 for parts or maintenance, but $1000 total.

Has to be street legal, lights horn etc.

Maybe 6 to 10 hours a day, 400 to 500 miles. lets say 3? days.

Make a big loop, over mountains, back roads, maybe even a 40 mile dirt stretch,

Maybe a drag race, ?

Receipts from gas station at destination. Time stamp and gallons.

Subtract 1/2 hour off time for gas mileage over 35mpg highway, tested on one leg of race.

Lets say add a 1/2 hour for gas mileage under 15mpg highway

Subtract 1/4 hour for cars from 1975 to 1985.

Subtract 1/4 hour for cars 1974 and older.

An add of time if you get a speeding ticket. (honor system)

Contestant judging for best car and worst car, subtract 1/4 hour.

We would all meet at the end of the day in some predetermined place to compare our gas receipts for time, camp or stay in a hotel. then leave in the morning for the next leg.

Challenges along the way,

I'm in the longview Kelso area,

Any Ideas? Questions?

I'm tired of doing the same thing all the time, this would be a great vacation to remember,

If your alive, then LIVE. Who's in?

2. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would do this for sure. Sounds like a blast really.

3. Superdan

Superdan Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    Anacortes WA
    Full Name:
    Dan Berlin
    That sounds totally cool. I'd do it. Where do you find a 700 dollar car though? lol.

4. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Craigs list $1200 max (because everyone will come down) and 200 min.
    I put by owner only and 948 cars were for sale. Oh ya,
    I'm going to spend 7 or 8 hundred then the rest on belts, hoses, anti freeze, grease bearings
    and check and fix all the electrical connections,

Will I make it the whole way? That's the challenge :)

So if anyone has any thought on great roads to travel, speak up.

I am trying to put this together by April or May so people can prepare for a early July run.

5. PlaysWithItalians

PlaysWithItalians Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You might want to check out http://www.dirtcheaprally.com/

Similar to what you are describing, and starting here in the PacNW. The creator of this series came out of the Chump Car series (endurance road racing in $500 cars).

Reach out to Erik with your proposal, he might be able to save you some of the logistical headaches.

6. Superdan

Superdan Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    Anacortes WA
    Full Name:
    Dan Berlin
    oh man i found a car that looks good where i live. guy wants 1000 obo. bet i can get it for 7 lol it would be perfect learner car for my daughter to drive a stick as well. my concern is tires. lol they r expensive.

7. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I have seen cheap tires on Craigs list :)

8. gpmotorsllc

gpmotorsllc Karting

Jun 27, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Jon F Beutler Jr.
    I am definitely interested... and can suggest some great routes up here... such as starting at my dealership, going up Chuckanut drive, then heading over HWY 20 to Winthrop. All gorgeous areas/drives. Then maybe down through Wenatchee area... who knows, but keep me posted and informed and let me know what kind of help you need organization wise. This is a brilliant idea!

9. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Yes I have been on Chuckanut, my son lives up there, Beautiful
    I will have to wait to see where the bulk of the people are from and want to go.
    I was also thinking of the cascades in Oregon,
    If any one has any ideas on challenges I would love to hear them.

10. sjberg40

sjberg40 Karting

Aug 12, 2007
    Lake Tapps, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    For a different and interesting dirt road section, try Colockum Pass. A long dirt road that goes between Ellensburg and Wenatchee. I drove it in my old 4x4 F150 but you could do it in an Accord if you were careful.

This whole thing sounds fun, I'll be watching this, maybe even participate.

11. elcid11

elcid11 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    OMG, I would totally do this.....HELL YES.

Of course, we would have to have a relief car or some way of towing our cars off of the road in case...er WHEN they break down.

BUT THIS SOUNDS AWESOME.

Maybe also put down that the car must be of a certain class...IE sports car, so no one shows up in a stationwagon or something.

12. gpmotorsllc

gpmotorsllc Karting

Jun 27, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Jon F Beutler Jr.
    I don't know... there are some pretty sweet wagons out there! As soon as I heard about this I thought of a car I recently picked up, a 1983 Saab 900 turbo. A car like that would be ideal. Inexpensive, relatively good performing, and reliable if taken care of (not to mention practical).

But I agree that a "chase" or "safety" vehicle would be a wise thing. I know some people with a relatively new Ford F350 Diesel that might be up for it.... that'd tow anything off the road (or on when necessary).

13. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Probably the simplest thing would be for the F350 to pull a metal compactor for those cars that die. Just compress the car and leave the metal brick by the side of the road! :<)

BTW, this really sounds like a terrific idea. On occasion we get some cars traded in to our dealership that would be perfect for this, so it has me thinking which type would be best - most likely to survive in that price range.

14. PRS

PRS Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Issaquah
    Full Name:
    Pete S
  15. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Sorry I haven't continued this thread, I have had a lot of changes at work,
    But I sill want to do it in the summer, so I will try to keep you all posted when
    we get closer.

Thanks Joe

16. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    About five years ago I bought a '83 Mercury Capri RS Turbo for $300 off craigslist. New turbo on it, too! I was going to take it off-road rallying, but the engine wound up in my friend's Baja.