575M test drive | FerrariChat

575M test drive

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I went for a test drive in a 575M today, not a long one, but I wanted to try out the F1 system in the 575M. I have a 355 F1, have driven several 360 F1s, and have gone for an extended ride in an Enzo.
    The Enzo F1 system really impressed me, much better than the 360, and better than the 355 system, which I prefer to the 360.
    The F1 system in the 575M is very similar to the Enzo, although slower at low revs than either the 355 or the 360. At higher revs it shifts quite fast, and the "blipping" is beautifully matched.
    While I was considering a manual shift I now am leaning towards a F1 option in the replacement for the 575M which I have had a deposit on for almost two years now.
    BTW, there was nothing new to be learned about the 575M replacement as of today, at least I couldn't find out anything

2. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I loved the F1 in the 355 but not in the 360. The sound of the 355 is to die for.

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    My 575 F1 is simply superb. I have two other paddle cars (360 Mod and Mas Spyder). The 575 has all the torque needed to make the system work very well and the software is excellent in my car.

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I recently test drove the 575M as well. F1 worked fine, but I have an automatic E55 which isn't really much different. I tried both the stick and e gear Gallardo and came to the same conclusion. The F1 is great, but not involving, which to me is a major part of the allure of the Ferrari experience.

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    When you drive a 575 at speed (high rev speed), in sport mode and experience neck-snapping, tyre squealing gearchanges you'll feel pretty involved. Downshifting and decellerating to turn into a decreasing radius bend is thrilling and wonderful with both hands on the wheel, making the downshift at exactly the right moment and turning at exactly the right angle. You simply can control the car better and drive faster, especially through corners.
    There is simply no comparing a torque convertor auto transmission, that is held in gear electronically, with a manual transmission that utilizes an electronic clutch.

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sorry, but my preference is for stick shift, there is a feeling of "connection" getting it all right with the stick and clutch. Sure the F1 gives better times on a race track, leaving a few less things to worry about, but it's just not for me.

7. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Drove the 575M in Fiorano during the Advance Course and it's certainly better than the 360 F1. I asked the technical guys there about it and they said the system is slightly different from the 360. I forgot the explanation. Ferrari does keep improving the system with every new model. Something to look forward to.

All these talk about driver not feeling connected when using the F1 is not true at all. You decide when to change up and when to change down. You're in control. I've had manuals on my 328 and my F355 and after my 360 Modena F1, I will never go back to manual.

8. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    I have had my 575M F1 for close to a year now and imo the F1 is mated to the V12 perfectly..........just like in a manual transmission auto, there is no better feeling than hitting the shifts at the correct rpm..........and just like in a manual, there is definitely a learning curve.

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't have a Ferrari yet, currently looking into F355.
    My daily driver is a M3 SMG, I have to say, not that you are not in control, but it is very different you do or do not operate a clutch.

There is no question that F1 shifts faster and better than humanbeing, no dispute there at all, you still decide when and where to shift, that's ture too.
    However, there are things you can not do without a clutch under your left foot. For example you can not manipulate a launch, you can not slip the clutch and etc ...