I love my C6 Z06 YELLOW | FerrariChat

I love my C6 Z06 YELLOW

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by jlonmark, Jan 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #1 jlonmark, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is my second C6 Z06 and I really have to say that for the money... You can't go wrong. The car is all about performance with the Vrooooom sound! She goes over 60mph in first gear- enough to really get you in trouble! I love the fact that there are hardly any computers or additional gadgets that drive the car for you. Once upon a time the Ferraris and Porsche Turbos were like this. The Z06 is a "out of the box race car" pure and simple. Get on the gas, the rear tires light up and you are off. My only gripe are the sponge seats. Now if I could only find a way to make a hybrid cross between these and my rock hard 997 seats... the car would be perfect. Or if I could fit some power Daytonas on it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I have a 2008 and couldn't agree more. It is a great car. Also agree that the seats need less cushion. Get a CG Lock for your seat belt, it does a great job of allowing the seat belt to hold you in the seat.

It is very easy to defeat the low speed 1-4 shift by just pulling a fuse under the hood.

3. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Chris
  4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Ditto. Have an '08 in victory yellow and it is an impressive machine. Seats are the weak link but remember the Vette is primarily built for middle aged fatasses who want an automatic transmission

5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I already pulled the exhaust fuse for the butterfly valves. The car sounds mean all the time. Although doing 70mph in 6th on the freeway is pretty loud. Along with the seats, the only bad part about the car is the "old man stigma" that goes along with the Corvette. The late 50's, pony tail, chrome dome, Hawaiian shirt, etc... is a little much.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Keep the rubber side down!

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have already made my opinions known in other posts, and I could not agree with you more. My LMB 07 is a blast. I have of course done a few things to it, had to dump that steering wheel. There are some not so expensive ways to make the seats better, like buying the inserts to make them like the 2012 seats. Go to the corvette forum, lots of very informed people (and very willing to help someone) there. I use a mild to wild switch to open and close the valves when I want.

8. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA
    Ha, I see quite a few of them around!

But ditto to what everyone else said. I have a black 08, and love it! For me it came down to money. Looked at F355s, and just couldn't afford the maintanence. Other than changing the fluids, and some tires, the Z's been relatively easy to afford so far.

I started a few autox's and had a blast. Likely will switch out the seats one day...

9. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I like them in yellow too.

10. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    How would a Z06 compare to a Grand Sport of the same year for taking a cross country road trip?

What would be on the plus side, what would be on the minus side?

Ciao,
    George

11. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    Love it. I never drive one but in the market for black or red z06.

12. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I was shopping base C6's this year(Used) - amazing how hard it is to find a manual - let alone in a color you want.

Ended up NOT pulling the trigger - made the mistake of testing an z06 AFTER the base...gotta save more.

13. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    Very nice car....

14. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. I can't imagine how I would use all of that extra power on the street without loosing my license.

15. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    A quick call to Caravaggio solved the seat problem in my ZR1, though there are plenty of cheaper solutions.

Just spent a couple of days at Spring Mountain raceway in Nevada, tearing up GS's, Z06's and ZR1's around their track. Highly recommend this to any enthusiast, especially Vette guys.

The mid life crisis stigma is unfortunate. I've been driving Vettes for 12 years, and they are formidable performance machines.

16. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    No difference in road trip comfort, and gas mileage is nearly the same too, which can approach 28 mpg in relaxed driving with the manual. Plenty of luggage space too. Only negative is road/tire noise, that can be mitigated somewhat by getting rid of the noisy Goodyear runflats....

If the GS or Z06 is equipped with the optional magnetic ride suspension, you'll find the ride even more civilized. Highly recommended, but rare and expensive option. Look for the adjustable ride switch on the center console next to the active handling button.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very pretty. Looks just like the 08 Z06 I traded towards my 575.

18. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Thanks Doc,

I have my sights set on a 2008 Z06. I have read a marked improvement was made in the steering that year. Definitely want that magnetic ride option. Lots of Vette owners here in Hotlanta.

Ciao,
    George

19. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I think they didn't offer the magnetic ride, (also known as F55 suspension) until 2011. I have an 07 Z and have driven an 08. It takes a bit of getting used to but there's nothing wrong with the 07 steering. The 08's steering is a bit lighter all the time. The 07's gets heavy at speed.

20. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Correct, and it was bundled with the expensive Z07 package, including ceramic brakes. The 2012 year brought F55 as a standalone option for the first time on the Z06.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- There was a marked improvement in steering response and feel from my 06 Z06 to my 08 Z06. Interior was nicer, too. Nice incremental improvements.

22. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Thanks Terry,

I've been reading up on the 08s on the Corvette forum. 08 sounds real good to me! :)

Ciao,
    George

23. JohnsonsMedia

JohnsonsMedia Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2009
    AZ
    I know I am new to the conversation, but 08 is when they changed the tranny also to be stronger. Also the 06 is the fastest and lightest (as far as I remember).

Kyle

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kyle- I ordered the hairshirt 06 Z06 (1LZ) that had little insulation, no seat memory, etc, because I wanted the quickest one possible. Learned my lesson and the next one had everything I left off the first one. Have to admit, the sound inside the cockpit with no insulation was pretty awesome, though, but I did not miss hearing all the banging and crashing going on in the suspension when I traded her on the 08.

25. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Right On for the banging and crashing!

For a long trip, that makes a big difference for the plus side having that quiet. For city driving, mountain driving, and a loud exhaust sound, I guess the exhaust flaps can be disabled for that throaty sound. :)

Ciao,
    George