Would you buy an F40 with 300 miles on the odometer? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would you buy an F40 with 300 miles on the odometer?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by SilverLeaf, Jan 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    You can circumvent these issues (condensation, etc.) if you let it run long enough, and reach operating temperature with radiator fluid circulating, after starting ... AND change all fluids regularly (including gasoline). Spin the driveline/tires enough to keep oil over the gears, spin the tires (or lift vehicle) to prevent flat spots, etc ... there are good procedures for maintaining low-mileage cars.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A shop in Holland did this recently and the car is for sale for 450K euro. The chassis was build by Ferrari. IIRC they only had the engine (and VIN, ofcourse).

Cars are more expensive in Holland than most places, so when you actually think about it, it probably works out only a little more expensive than a good condition F40 with similar mileage.

A year or two back a burnt out F40 was for sale with the VIN and engine only (the only things left), for 16000 euro. If all the work Ferrari did comes to 400K I'd say that's worth it. It's like buying a brand new F40.

As far as the selling thing goes, even if you leave it to your family, I'm sure it'll be worth a fair bit (provided you keep the whole thing well documented). Even if it's worth less than most F40's, it'll fetch a reasonable amount of money still.

3. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Does anybody think this car will break the $700,000 mark?

4. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    The crime here is that the car has only 300 miles on it.

WHAT A WASTE OF A MAGNIFICENT CAR TO KEEP IT IN THE GARAGE !!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451 (driven approx. 13,000 miles in the last 5 years)

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #30 Challenge64, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is a lot of interest here in town about this Ferrari F40. It is the ex-Lee Iacocca car and has virtually no miles.

Overall the car was spectacular and looked like a 200 mile car - except the fabric on the driver seat. It was a bit loose / wavy..something. Anyway it didn't look right. The owner also added some silly badges to the car that shouldn't be there but I imagine they would pop right off. I'm no expert..but the chrome covers in the engine compartment didn't look stock. Still..nothing that would prevent me from buying the car. Hope some one out there gets this one! Here are the pictures!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. koukir32

koukir32 Karting

Dec 23, 2010
    thx for uploading these detail pics...... I know the US-spec cars are rarer than Euro spec one's....however I still think the Eurospec looks cleaner without those thick rubber surrounding....

7. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    <3 the condition (- the seats)

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Car will go on the block today. Auction starts at noon.

9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Interesting car. Keep us posted.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    $710,000 US plus fees. Is that correct?

11. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    somebody has been busy painting in the engine bay. don't know why you need to do that on a 200 mile car but whatever.

12. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

What are those chrome things in the engine bay?

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    They are the air filter covers.

The canister around the exhaust isn't supposed to be black either.

Why keep a car in such an unused/time capsule state, but somewhere along the lines do goofy things like that to the it? Odd...

>8^)
    ER

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Looks absolutely sensational in those pics. :)

15. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Most definitely.

16. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    I wish I was super rich! :eek:

17. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    The cost effective approach is to buy a well maintained and driven car with enough mileage to make it driveable without "destroying" it's value.

All my cars are always for sale, as is the F40, but if an undriveable 300 mile car is worth over $710K, I'll wait for someone who is enthusiastic enough to go north of $500k, maybe well north and if they won't, boo hoo, I'll drive it until my estate sells it.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Very true.

19. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    It's funny how the car got that much. 300 miles doesn't mean it hasn't been repainted or otherwise damaged over the last 20 years. The photos apparently show non-factory cosmetic work was done on the car. Then you drive it 1,000 miles and lose $200K. I guess being able to say you have the lowest mileage F40 (maybe) once owner by Lee Iacocca may be worth $200K for some.

20. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
  21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1

22. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm very surprised no one picked up obvious "non original" equipment attached to the lower front end. In order to keep the car from tearing off its nose, skateboard trucks and wheels were attached to the bottom. Quite a few people I talked to who are in the market for an F40 decided not to buy the vehicle based on the skateboard wheels.

I was even more impressed that the car actually ran under its own power and wasn't leaking any oil (then again not sure when the service was performed).

Side note, it was exciting to see an F40 that was essentially still new even after 20 yrs.

Ciao,
    Jon

23. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm SURPRISED no one has mentioned this car has had "3" owners. Obviously ever owner purchased this car as an "investment" rather than a "driver". I venture to guess the last owner lost money on his "Investment"!!!....Mark