New CMC 1961 250 SWB California | FerrariChat

New CMC 1961 250 SWB California

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by stevel48, Mar 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    #1 stevel48, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's available for pre order now. Red, black, silver and blue. I can't wait to get mine in black. I haven't seen any photos yet.

What's great is that 2 years ago i started a thread at CMC that caught on for the next Ferrari to be produced..... and guess what...they listened.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good luck to them, I have never seen a model of the 250 California I thought captured the shape of the car..

3. MassaFan

MassaFan Karting

Nov 10, 2007
    Hi Steve concratulations. In my opinion it's a unnecessary production as Elite did a fairly good job on their model. Instead of producing some models on both companies (the 250 GT SWB will be produced by Elite as well) they should rather produce new not available models such as a good 275 GTB or a 500TRI just to mention two.

4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The new HW Elite is very good (completely new mold compared to the old HW California which was too square).

I don't think it's a big problem if both HW and CMC produce the California. They're in completely different price ranges and detail is vastly different. It's the same with the HW and GMP 512S. I think they serve two different markets.

I agree though that a nice 275 GTB and 500 TRC would be nice additions to my shelves! :)

5. eric t

eric t Karting

Sep 23, 2007
    CMC is in a completely different league, detailwise!

6. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    GMP has ceased to produce future models in their top line. They have had many problems and will not be releasing the 512.
    I would agree with the poster that I would rather they don't produce the same cars as elite although I would really love to see a great 250 LM. One of my favorite cars and the Hotwheels just doesn't do it justice.
    How about a 206SP?
    or the Sunoco 512 M?
    or the 275 GTB/4?

7. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    Join CMC's boards. The company chimes in there and really listens to the customers. When they did the 250 TR everyone was wanting the additional paint schemes and they followed through.

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Got a link? Can't find anything. Sad news if true. I was really looking forward to the 512S and M.

9. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    GMP Statement To The Current Situation
    Feb 10, 2011

By Mark Sanderson, General Manager of GMP, dated Feb 07, 2011

GMP is a solvent company and has NEVER missed a payment on our bank loans in 18 years. This is fact!. However, we are funded by two commercial bank loans that are renewable every three years just like many other business are. Unfortunately, late last year, literally the day before we were to sign our renewal, the FIDC closed and resold our local bank. The new bank as part of their due dilligence and loss/share agreement with the Feds, had all commercial property reappraised. These new appraisals came in lower than a couple of years ago so they do not meet the new ratios now in place to support the current loan. As a result, it appears the bank is not going to renew the loan. So, our problem is not related to our business, sales pace or product quality, but the new banking standards and property values both of which we have no influence over.

Nothing is finalized yet as we are still looking at alternative financing methods, but until this is determined, GMP is forced to make some very hard choices. We did not attend the show in Germany instead dealing with all the things here, but have been assured we can attend next year in the same hall we have been.

We do have a couple of ways forward, so we are not finished by any means. Three years ago we started ACME as a completely stand alone company. This was to focus more on the mid-priced products with GMP going upscale. ACME has done very well and with zero financial issues is completely healthy. We are moving ACME to a great new facility this month and for the time being Mat, Ben and I will be focusing 100% on it. ACME owns current molds, purchased others from GMP, has lease agreements for other manufacturers and is now producing it's own new one. As a result we will have an expanded product line this year. We will also annouce the website hopefully later this week which has a similar feel to GMP, but improved functionality for Safari and Firefox browsers and other obvious improvements. It will also now be the location for Tom's Garage which incorporates some changes based on collector input from last year.

This has been extremely difficult for us. We are a small close knit family trying our best to deal with the hand we have been dealt. Nine families have been affected by this bank issue which is entirely not of our doing and outside of our control, but as of now, ACME can support just five, so four of the GMP family are having to look for new employment, at least for the time being.

It is very easy to focus on our little cars and their small issues, and I understand that they can generate great emotion, but it seems that some fail to remember that making these cars is our sole livelihood. When one of the companies supporting this hobby has issues, it affects numerous real live people and their families too.

We'll be back with more on ACME very soon as well as an update on GMP as progress warrants it.

This is a release put out by them when they canceled their booth at the big toy fair in Germany

Sad news

10. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Saw another release that said they were not able to correct the situation and might be selling their molds.

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #11 bigodino, Jan 18, 2012
  12. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #12 BLACK HORSE, Jan 18, 2012
    Yep... I can't wait for the CMC 250 GT to arrive soon and add it to the collection. However I also would love to see them develope a future 250 TRI #9 (Phil Hill version) Anyone else would like to see CMC make this Ferrari for us? Thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That light blue one is gorgeous!

14. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    #14 stevel48, Jan 19, 2012
  15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I wouldn't mind. A 500 TRC and an Alfa Romeo P3 would be nice too.

16. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    #16 stevel48, Jan 19, 2012
  17. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Have to say I agree with Bigodino re the red one not looking quite right but i think it looks great in the black and blue.

18. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I totally agree...CMC is almost equivalent to a hand built model, Elite...not!

19. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Yes, the black one is the best, sliver a close second, blue OK and the red...hmmm, it's hard to tell if they got the color correct.

20. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I like the red one.... I think its nice and hopefully very soon it's going to be added to my collection!

21. Kiwiboy308

Kiwiboy308 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Great choice! It looks stunning. The red is disappointing unfortunately. I wouldn't mind that in my collection along with the 500TRC in black with red trim. ;)

22. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That is really funny. They are all identical and just painted different colors. Yet the black one is fine, but the red one is wrong???!!! What am I missing?
    Also didn't they announce that some of them were going to be with open headlights?

23. Trossi

Trossi Rookie

Apr 29, 2008
    I don't remember that they announced an open headlight version. As far as I know they said in their own forum that there will not be open headlights versions at all.

Also it is important to know that these are pre production models. Most likely in Nuremberg (fair starting 1st of February) we will see more.

The samples from Kong Kong on these pictures have different mistakes such as wheels which are a bit to large, orange reflectors on the back (have to be red of course), a windscreen which is a little too flat and some say that the rear bumper is a bit too high.

CMC will do their best to offer us an absolutely fantastic California, I am sure. So we look forward to Nuremberg...

24. Olinto Morolli

Olinto Morolli Karting

Jan 19, 2011
    Spain
  25. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak