how old to carry gun...???? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

how old to carry gun...????

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Mr. Natividad, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Don't carry guns at any age....just lie down and die like a sheep,defenseless. Heaven forbid you protect yourself. I have only 1 question. I could go on and on and rant and rave but here it is. How come in the news (newspapers, tv, etc.) you never ever hear about when a gun was used to prevent a crime or when a gun was used to save a persons life because they were attacked by some lunatic? Gee I wonder if the news thats being reported has some sort of SLANT to it?

2. Gunslinger7976

Dec 28, 2003
    And you were going to do what with a gun in this instance?
    Shoot them for following you? Think about this real hard before you go buying any guns. Nothing wrong with owning a gun but lots of responsibility goes with that decision. I suggest you learn some self defense first. Your going to need it when your in prison for shooting some "kids" for "following" you.

3. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I think the stupid, obvious answer is to check your local government's website. Nowadays to carry concealed, you need to be transporting large amounts of money, jewelry have a guard card or be law enforcement. the lock down the feds have us under listed as 'homeland defence' really makes it hard for law abiding citizens to carry their 50short desert eagles.

When I was doing movie gigs a few years back i had glocks, then sigs under my seat. now i am buffing the new usp p2000 my dad got, planning on buying it off him when the department goes with something else.

4. Mr. Natividad

Mr. Natividad Rookie

Feb 2, 2004

I wasn't in a ferrari. I only drive an integra, so it's nothing special. A gun might not have been useful in that situation, but it would possibly help in others. To the others, my cell phone doesn't hold charge. It turns on, then dies immediately. These teens didn't look like the curious type. I was running 80 on the main strip and find it weird that they would go about that fast just being curious. I think they were just F'ing around, but I was getting nervous to say the least. I took martial arts for 7 years also, but I wouldn't say I'm good enough to handle that many peeps at once. I was mainly concerned for my GF that's why I ran until they eventually left.

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Wazza,

I see you live in the UK, so understandably you will have a different social and historical perspective on personal firearms ownership. I would ask you read Oleg Volk's fine site on the matter at : http://www.a-human-right.com/ Oleg is a Russian imigrent to the US.

Thread starter-

If you can't afford a $40 cell phone, why the heck are you considering a $600 handgun?

(Hey, if I can't get through on logic, I thought I'd try economics! )

Testshoot, all very fine choices.

6. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Its 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun, 21 for a handgun. I dont know why you would want a handgun though (unles you live in or find yourself in a bad area often), except for shooting at the range. If you carry a gun, you are only asking for trouble. If you were ever to pull it, you also better be sure as hell you are ready and able (ie. have the balls) to use it otherwise it could very well be you getting shot, not the one attacking you. I, for one, do not and probably will not own a gun.

edit- the ages i said above are for the US. I dont know about the UK. Also, the images posted above are nothing but anti-gun propaganda. Firearms have their place and purpose. Contrary to what some might think, weapons are necessary for peace.

7. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Tim- check again, they're very pro. Here's one good quote that indicates that at least one forign government has been given pause. (there are 80million firearm owners in the US.)

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    -Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto 1941

You are correct about it escelating any situation, and for that reason, people who carry guns should avoid confrontation if at all possible. The gun is only used when ALL other avenues have failed (eg, *run*, plead, distract, call cops, etc), and you are facing an immediate mortal threat to you or a loved one.

I also agree that withought training to back it up (particularily retention training) that just a gun is a liablity, not an asset. Get trained, or don't pack. It's that simple.

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    So if the age limit to carry is 18-21.

What is the age limit for being shot?

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the folks in the UK cant have any guns. thier government took that right away from them. i agree that a firearm is not a good answer , more so since mr N is under 21. if you have a firearm in your car and get pulled over for speeding ect it can bite you in the a$$ .it really depends on the state you are in and the officer that pulled you over. here in GA you can keep a firearm in your car in a glove box, or on the seat ect with no permit of any kind. it is against the law to keep a firearm under the seat. it has nothing to do with shooting cops as it does bieng a safety issue . guns have been found wedged in the pedals as the causes of some strange accidents. or they get caught in the pedals preventing the brakes from working properly. you can carry a gun in ga in plain site in many places without a permit. you CANNOT USE A GUN TO PROTECT " PROPERTY" in most states. it has to be to prevent a crime againct a person. if you kill some ******* stealing your stereo in your driveway, you have a big problem. i think texas has some anti carjacking laws where you can shoot first and ask questions later, but i dunno as i dont live there. i hope to G-d i never have to pull a gun in defense again. i will use it, but i almost threw up after the confrontation. what is really strange is BOTH times this has happened to me the police, most of which i know on a personal basis, made the statements in front of others that i " should have shot the SOB and then called them" yea and the anti gun DA would have had my butt too, thanks alot guys.

the media almost never reports when a gun is used to prevent a crime or keep one from getting worse, ie bloodshed / loss of life. I WOULD RATHER HAVE IT AND NEVER EVER NEED IT , THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!!!!!! sorry for the soapbox lesson today, i had to give my .02 on this. michael

10. rt207

rt207 Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    ryan
    My friends father was approached at a best buy parking lot by two thugs who wanted the merchandise that he had recently purchase so he pulled out the firearm that he kept inthe car for "selfdefense" which resulted in the his arrest for some "civil disobedience law??" he now has two years probation. The moral of the story, NA. Just be careful and if you are being followed like that pull into a cop station i've seen to many people get messed up just for stupid stuff, let the cops deal with it

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    what state. if he was legal to carry then he should have been ok. i would have ripped someone a new ...hole and fed them to the lawyers. but what do i know.

12. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Sorry to have to inform you, but we have a thing called democracy in the UK.
    Which means that the Government can't take anything away from us.
    And that we have the right, if we so wished, to vote for the right to carry arms.
    But we have chosen not to.
    Possibly because we can see what a total disaster it is elsewhere in the world.

Wazza