WA No Front plate news | Page 2 | FerrariChat

WA No Front plate news

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jdubbya, Jan 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Toll leakage?? What the heck does that mean? If they are talking about not catching tolls because of no front plate I am definitely not convinced that is an issue. I don't have a front plate on the 308 and it catches it every time I cross the Narrows Bridge no problem. Even if I had a front plate on it I'm not sure the cameras would see it because it would be so low and under the bumper.

I sent another email to Rep Clibborn but once again got no reply. Rep. Angel was the only one on the entire list who bothered to respond to my email.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Are any of you guys constituents for the committee chair? Or better yet, campaign contributors (or could be)?

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You got her running!! Way to go John.... we'll have to do a C&C when it
    gets warmer so I can finally see your car.

Jedi

4. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    No not yet. I get one thing done and something else happens. I'm now looking at pulling the starter. Thought I had it for a minute. :(

5. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    #30 rushdriven, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I received emails from both Rep. Jan Angel and Rep. Judy Clibborn today.

Jan Angel wrote: "John – I brought all these forward to deaf ears. Please send an e-mail to Rep. Clibborn and Rep. Armstrong asking for a hearing --- Last day is Tuesday probably too late." I emailed Judy Clibborn back already.

Judy Clibborn wrote:

Hi John,

I have been concerned about this bill in the context of the tolling that will be done in many areas across the state. In particular, I am concerned that we could lose revenue on tolled facilities like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and Highway 520 where photos of both licenses are used. Losing revenue means we have to increase the tolls to make up the difference. I am sending you the input I received from the tolling dept. of DOT to see the concern. Thank you for your interest in this issue.

Judy

From WSDOT:

We are very concerned with the elimination of the front plates as it will have a revenue effect on TNB and SR 520 that now use photo-tolling.

We take two images of the front plates and one of the rear plate. We do not take images of the side of the vehicle. The front plates are more reliable since they are not blocked by trailers, hitches, spare tires or other devises placed on the back of a vehicle. If we cannot identify a vehicle because of a blocked view of the rear plate then we lose that toll and have increased revenue leakage.

The Tolling Expert Review Panel in their work noted that license plates are the one common basis to identify every vehicle, in-state or out of state. They also noted that approximately 20% of all our tolling on SR

520 will be based on license plates due to infrequent users who will not find it reasonable to set up a Good To Go! account.

Attached is a detailed memo that our General Tolling Consultant prepared in 2010 when this topic came forward.

Here is an excerpt regarding toll revenue loss:

Toll Facility Estimated Annual Toll Transactions ($3.50 avg toll assumed)

SR 520 32,850,000
    SR 16 (TNB) 16,425,000

Estimated Annual Unprocessable Toll Transactions (1%)

SR 520: 328,500
    SR 16 (TNB): 164,250

Estimated Annual Revenue Lost Due to Unprocessable Toll Transactions

SR 520: $ 1,149,750
    SR 16 (TNB): $ 547,875

Total = $ 1,724,625
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I got the same email from her this afternoon. I still find it VERY hard to believe that 10% of all the tolls will be uncollectable because of a misread plate. How many are they missing now? I don't know, it sounds like typical political rice bowl guarding to me. We'll see I guess.

7. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Really? That is their reasoning? One or two toll spots is the reason for not eliminating the front tag for an entire state. Wow, if they are saying that they could loose that much income due to obstructed tags they should be fired. With today's unemployment numbers I'm sure there would be line of people who could solve this "challenge".

8. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well apparently math was never really my best subject!

Okay so one percent is a bit more believable than the 10% I initially read the numbers as. I still don't buy that it's that high though.

9. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    You have a tow hitch on the front of your car? WOW...

:)

10. Jake C

Jake C Rookie

Jul 5, 2011
    Eastside of Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I was feeling a little left out because you guys had all recieved notes earlier - but here is the note I received today:

I’m still fighting for this one – haven’t received a hearing yet and time is running out. Stay tuned.

Jan Angel
    State Representative
    Legislative District #26

Phone: 360-786-7964
    [email protected]

Serving Bremerton, Port Orchard, Manchester, South Colby, Southworth,
    Olalla, Gig Harbor, Lakebay, Burley, Fox Island, Longbranch, Vaughn and Wauna

At least he is humoring me with an attempt.

11. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Take note Washington State: many other states just to metion a few, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, New york, that come to mnd, that have numerious toll bridges and roads and seem to find a way to collect tolls without the need of a front license plate on collector cars.

Lest we forget the millions of dollars (by their own admission),the DOL lost in uncollected tolls by choosing the lowest bidder and that company's inability to provide a working automated collection system. Then lets not forget the DOL's decision to not pursue the uncollected millions due to the DOL by the terms spelled out in the legal and binding contract signed by the company and the director of the DOL. Once again our state stumbles over pennies while failing to collect the millions owed. Oh well it's just our state government in action. If they were really interested in collection of tolls, they would have pursued the lost millions (the contractor was bonded) rather than the few thousand dollars from missing front license plates. Tha'ts my take on the situation,

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1988 Lotus Esprit turbo

12. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    In Oklahoma, don't ever remember having front tags, and at on time was listed as having the most toll roads in the US, but can never recall the state not being able to collect on tolls.

13. MCABOSS

MCABOSS Rookie

Mar 13, 2009
    Bremerton, WA
    This is why I don't use a good to go pass - don't want a ticket in the mail. I got a fix it ticket in my FORD GT a couple years ago - had to go to the police station with plate attached to avoid paying the ticket. Bought one of the tow hook plate attachments from mower axle. Its in the garage ready to go for the next occassion.

14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Did you get one from going through the toll station? I didn't think they were doing that?

15. MI5

MI5 Karting

Jul 3, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    David
    Uh… I may not be thinking like a bureaucrat, but this seems like a no-brainer.

Rep. Angel is enthusiastic about the bill which would save $26 million.

Estimated Annual Revenue Lost Due to Unprocessable Toll Transactions

SR 520: $ 1,149,750
    SR 16 (TNB): $ 547,875

Lose = $ 1,724,625

16. Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2008
    Wide Open Throttle
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Guys,
    Our entire government, US and state are a total mess due to lack of common sense. I highly doubt you can convince these folks representing us to figure this out, but they sure know how to ask for money. What bothers me about this state is they allow "collector vehicles" to operate w/o plates because they assume these cars are driven only for parades and shows, yet some-many collector cars are driven daily.

I think you may get a better reaction if you sold them on charging people for a front plate exemption. Example, charge each car/plate a nominal 40-$80 or something like that for the "privileged" of running around w/o out a plate. This would cover some of the phantom lost revenue they are talking about and legitimize the whole thing. It can be argued that the difficult to read rear plates are only missed some of the time, not all the time.

17. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Good idea. Still, them worrying about lost toll revenues when we are losing millions due to the unpaid state gasoline tax that is supposed to be used for road improvements on the reservations is way bigger than this. Might want to point this out, next time you contact your local Rep. and they say they won't hear this.

18. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    It doesn't sound like money is going to do any good if they are already ignoring a $24 mil gain over a $1.7 mil lose.

19. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison

That would be a pretty good idea. They could easily enough design and make a set of plates that would designate that the car it's on has paid the fee and is exempt from having a front plate.

20. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Ticketed at FoS for no front plate parked on side street.
    Pulled over downtown Seattle and given a warning another time.

Many (44 cars) were with me when I was pulled over for no front plate in Winthrop a few years ago :) warning there as well.

When the Narrows camera/system went crazy last year I received 49 tickets in the mail for just one of my cars. All rear plate photos and not one from the front.

Vic I'd bet just driving around and getting the occasional front plate ticket would be easier than lobbying to get a front plate exemption Pre-Paid legislation through.

21. MCABOSS

MCABOSS Rookie

Mar 13, 2009
    Bremerton, WA
    They take a picture of the front and rear of the car - just don't even want to take a chance.

22. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I haven't had any trouble with my 308 and it only has a back plate. The only time I was hassled about it was when I was pulled over for "something else"!? It's legal now that it's licensed as a collector car but even before that I never had a front plate on it. Of course I haven't driven it across there lately because, well, I haven't driven it lately. That's another story though!! :(

I don't think floating the idea of people being able to pay for a front plate exemption would fly either. You wouldn't see the big savings from having NO front plates, and it would add more complexity to the sytem which would likely end up costing more than the fees would bring in. Just my guess but it may be worth bringing up anyway??!

23. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    No tickets happen on the narrows with no front plate.

I cross it 2-3 times a day in various cars 3 of 18 have a front plate

24. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Excuse my ignorance, as I am a Canadian living here, but has bill HB 1219 passed? It clearly states that:

(iii) One license plate if the registered owner of the vehicle
    requests only a license plate for the rear of the vehicle for privacy purposes, because the vehicle is a collector vehicle, or because the design of the vehicle is not conducive for the placement of a license plate on the front of the vehicle.

Can't think of any Ferrari that is conducive to a front plate :)

25. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a good question but it looks like that bill still hasn't passed either. It looks like it has at least been through committees though. There is a process in place now to get an exemption from having a front plate, but it goes through the State Patrol for approval and they don't seem to be swayed by logic at all.

If the new system does away with the SP approval it would at least solve the issue for most folks.

I'd still like to see the front plate done away with just for pure fiscal reasons.