Movie: The Descendants | FerrariChat

Movie: The Descendants

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by PhilNotHill, Jan 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #1 PhilNotHill, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I didnt see it but my Mother in Law did and she said that they did a great job of showing some of the "actual" perceptions and unique issues that are very common here. It's on my list but they arent showing it in the main stream theatres for some reason.

4. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Well, I was born and raised on Oahu, and I thought The Descendants was the only mainstream movie or tv show I've seen that accurately depicted life here. It's obvious that they got a lot of guidance from people who actually live in Hawaii because they got all the little details right. They got a few things wrong, but compared to other movies and TV shows shot here, they were very minor issues.

I'm actually interested in hearing what a mainlander might have thought about it. Did any part of it seem surprising? Unrealistic? If so, what and why?

5. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    You mean to tell me "Dog the Bounty Hunter" is not real life there?

6. Hawaiian35

Hawaiian35 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    50 First Dates anyone see? Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore!!!

7. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I bought the whole thing.

I love Hawaii and I love Hawaiians. Familiar with several locals. Especially on Kauai.

G Clooney was honest with everyone including himself.

I could really relate to the character. Best line: Give your kids enough to do SOMETHING, but not so much that they do not have to do ANYTHING. :cool:

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Never heard of the movie, but I grew up on the north shore so I may have to check it out.

9. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Dog is here on the "Big Island" and yes he is real... He was driving thru our neighborhood on the way to some dirtbag's house about 6 months ago.

10. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Well, being a haoule who spent some of my most formative years on Oahu, I would say North Shore was pretty right on, at least from a late '80s/early '90s point of view. Getting punched in the nose for accidentally dropping in on someone or looking at their cute cousin/sister, yep, dat' be da kind fact! ;) Backyard parties during the high surf season and summer, check. Old timers helping out new comers with authentic enthusiasm, for sure.

Need to find a chance to see The Decendants, look great.