Are people in the South nicer than anywhere else? | FerrariChat

Are people in the South nicer than anywhere else?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I think I'm gona move to the South. I was in New Orleans last lear and people there were the nicest people I have ever met (Next to BRUCE, of course). I was on the phone today with some customers in Alabama...Same treatment. Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank You Sir...In California where you get the finger everywhere you go, I think I really like the south...Where else in the country is it like this?

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Peter: while I can't imagine liviing anywhere else than the bay area (what are you THINKING) and people aren't flipping me off (must be the way your twitchy neck! :D ), as an outsider I definetly picked up on a "gentile" quality about southerners. Even Texas. :D There's something perceptible to someone who doesn't live there about the general politeness and friendliness that is embraced there. New York, on the other hand, is the polar opposite. :)

--Dan

3. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We aim to please!

New Orleans is often referred to as "The Worlds Biggest Small Town". It seems everybody knows everybody else. :) I've thought of leaving several times, but I'll probably never leave!

Dave

4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Not my quote but a friend of mine said, NYers and Californians flick you the finger if they don't like you, and you know where you stand... Southerners invite you over for coffee on their front porch, spill out personal info from you and then stab you in the back when you're not looking...

5. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That is kinda overstating it a bit but I can say that a Southerner would rather save face by offering a 2000 word bullsh!t story than a one word, "No" answer!

Frustrating and not time efficient, but true

DL

7. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Being a Yankee transplant to the South, I have to say that I have found the South more like Darth & Kenny. All though, I have found a lot of people to be extremely nice.

I hate most, if not all, of the Southern belles I have met. They tell you what you want to hear, not the truth. It is a long story with many chapters.

Note to Kenny tell your friend it is Sweet Tea not Coffee, Thank you kindly. They about killed me when I asked for hot tea. Do not even ask about gourmet coffee.

"Starbucks? Son, there called sawbucks!"

"No, the coffee house."

"Sure, you can fix coffee at home. You yanks are strange people, no harm meant."

I grew up on grits and sweet tea as my family is from the South, so the cuisine is not to hard to stomach, for the most part.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Dave, not to be confused with Reno, which is "The biggest little city in the world"! You can visit anywhere and have the best experience or the worst. Go a little further South to Daytona, where my parents live, and you'll quickly realize you've passed completely through the "Courtesy" Belt and entered the "I Don't Wear No" Belt. The only people they say "Ma'm" and "Sir" to down there are strippers and cops.

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well the nicest place certainly isn't Boston.

10. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    The people in Texas are great!! Southern Hospitality... its no stereotype!

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Note: When travelling Eastward, the restauranteur phrase "Y'all want gravy on that?" begins in Oklahoma, doesn't let up until Virginia.

12. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Im surprised you dont find California friendly. Every time I go im so overwhelmed by find how nice everyone is. Westerners just seem to enjoy life more. I go to the south at least once a year too, and i've noticed that their greetings are indeed polight, but thats as far as it goes.

13. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I think that's the 2nd time I've heard you say something bad about Boston. What's wrong with Boston? I've lived here for 15 years and I find people to be very friendly here. It's one of the few fast-paced lifestyle cities that is also friendly. I've traveled all over this country, and if the southern attitude and pace of life ain't your thing, but you don't want to live in NYC, then Boston is it.

Maybe you just aren't conducting yourself well or something about your personality rubs people the wrong way???? Boston is certainly a no-BS type of place where people won't put up with crap without letting you know.

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i hate georgia.

16. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny

17. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Bobafet...Yes, the Bay Area does have a lot to offer. I bailed from Los Gatos for good three years ago to Sonora (Hooterville II). The BA was becoming a place that I could not figure out which lanuage I had to learn!

18. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Here in Tennessee we're nice to anyone 'cept somebody who thinks liquor shouldn't come in mason jars, or someone wearing a 'bama shirt (there's a bit of bad blood at the moment).

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Peter,

When they are giving you the finget they are not saying F@#^ OFF instead they are telling you that you are #1 :D.

When are you going to get out here again so i can show you my "House in one golf shot"?

Rob

20. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    YEAH! ME TOO!
    LOL! (just kidding)

Dave

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    OK..Arizona is OK also because BEAST is there! (I'll be down there in another 3-4 weeks!

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Then let it be known a the 'gravy belt'

Usually at 'the iron skillet' the chain of artery clogging lard fried, well everything, that is all i have to say about that. those start about the same area.

generally in the south it is not that they are nicer, it is that they are in awe of my phenominal bling, so, sorta like peasants.

i like it in ny, atleast we are honest, wear our hearts on our sleeves and let you know if you are ******. no smile to the face, gossip behind the back.

people in savannah are always nice to me, but that is usually 'cause i am bank-rolling large dinner parties around town and tip like a sailor on shore leave.

23. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Lately I have crossed paths with some very rude people here in New Orleans, mostly at gas stations. For the most part I don't meet many rude people but I don't spend time on the street interacting with everything out there either. I live in a suburb and when I am in the city I am usually in the offices of friends or at higher end hotels and restaurants.

I was in Atlanta a while back and it was about the same. I would have to say the nicest people I have met, across the board, have been around Destin, FL.

peters, I sent you a PM a while back about that tailor did you get it?

24. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I guess that many people in the South take two-steps back in life and make the time to be friendly to others. Maybe it's just a code of their upbringing. My GF's X mother-in-law that lived with us a couple of years until she passed away was the sweetest person on earth. She was from Louisiana. Just a peach!