craigslist gt4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

craigslist gt4

Discussion in '308/328' started by guygowrie, Jan 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    A bit of both I would think.
    Either way I don't think it makes much sense to say a car isn't worth xxx because it hasn't sold in 10 days, or 20 or 30 etc...

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Very pretty car, the color combo defines the 70s era excellent.

Could definitely buy a lot worse for 40 grand....or as what most do, buy at 20k then spend another 20.... I would rather take my chances with this one .....at least it wouldn't be a rusted eye sore sitting in the garage in case it didn't run right :)

Very pretty.

3. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    i have no dog in the hunt here, and i dont really have a passion for the GT4, but this car put me on my heels when i saw it in person. In my opinion, all the angles for the pictures are wrong, not really capturing the cars best lines.

also, if i recall its a one (or very long time) owner car, fully maintained with records. Please dont quote me on that, but i believe that is what i recall in talking with Larry Buskirk about the car.

Geno

4. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    +1

it is poorly advertised. I believe the seller is an older gentleman.

5. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    the photos of this car tells a story that needs to be investigated. It may still need work, but its worth having a look. When I see photos of a ferrari in poor condition, we look elsewhere.

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Really? The how come my Mercedes dealer has inventory on his lot- Wouldn't they all be sold at the end of business every day?

Those of us who have tried to sell a top of the market vehicle know it takes time- lots of time. Those who chicken out sell the car at no reserve at auction for a fraction of the cars true value. Easy to sell a crappy GT4 for $12K- those move all the time.

I have no idea if this car is worth it- I think the market has very clearly indicated that NO 308gt4 is worth $40K...so far...

7. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    stop being cryptic, share what you see

8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    plus, lets be real...$40k is what someone is asking, pick up the phone offer cash and i bet the number becomes a lot less...

9. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #34 Sledge4.2, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i havent been looking at ferraris for 23 years, but this looks pretty damn straight and clean to me. can anyone spot something out of place?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    When I bought my GT4, I was looking for something very specific, but I was looking very intermittently. Not every buyer checks every website and every ad every day, or even every week. 10 days is short - if I were selling my GT4, I would expect to wait at minimum a month, if not 3-4 months, especially in the dead of winter. With snow on the ground, a lot of America isn't looking for rorty sports cars at the end of January.

Judging from the photos and scant information provided, that car looks fabulous. It appears to be very original. I think the airpump belt is removed in the photos, but that doesn't mean the air pump doesn't work. I prefer leather, but others prefer the cloth seats. All the details looks sharp, everything appears proper and well maintained. 24,000 miles is enough that the car has been driven and kept in shape, but not worn out. Too few miles can be just as bad as too many.

Seeing it in person could change someone's views, but this car appears near the top of the heap for 308s.

Jonathan
    GT4 15302
    Denver, CO

11. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    The fuel evap cannister is missing. Looks very nice to me otherwise, though.
    Lots of opinions on price here. Lets not forget! This is a Dino, not a Ferrari. Limited #'s of nice ones left. Limited # of enthusiasts, also. I would like to see this follow the pricing of it's little brother 246. If this owner can't get asking price or close to it, I'd bet he'd pass on the sale. Time will tell....
    In my wildest, wettest dreams, I like to think my pretty well preserved GT4 might be worth $30K on a good day, and this car is cleaner and lower miles.

12. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    To me, and its only opinion, $40K in this market screams 100 point trailer queen. First thing I see is the belt is off the air pump, the carpet, while very nice, shows some age. Wouldnt hurt to see inside the trunks. Velour seats? I thought they all were leather. I can be schooled if thats correct, I just never heard of it. No belt on the pump could open a hornets nest.

I am not trying to nit pick it down, its really looks like a very nice car. And I am not a buyer, I really dont care either way. I just dont see a $40K car. But ive been wrong before so who knows.

13. _Yves_

_Yves_ Karting

Oct 5, 2008
    Shanghai
    Full Name:
    Yves Dumoulin
    Well, in the US maybe but in Europe it is what you should expect to pay for a car in good condition - not perfect.

There are few cars for sale, and the majority is in poor / not original condition. On the other hand there are very few buyers, and most of them see the GT4 only as an easy 1st step in the Ferrari dream, and don't have the money to buy a good car and properly take care of it.
    By the way, @Full_garage: congratulations for what you are doing with your car :) I appreciate the impressive work

In this context it is not easy to say what the right price is for a very good car. The best I know sold for about 45k€ 1 year ago, to an educated buyer (550, 330GT, testarossa, ... to name only F-cars)

I won't discuss the specific car of this thread since i have no detailed information. Looks pretty clean though.

As for following 246 GT pricing, I do not see it happen. 246GT appeal to much more people :)

Yves

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yes of course- we are very spoiled here in the USA- Where Ipads sell for less money in NY than they do in Shenzen China, and where Euopean classics sell for a fraction of their true value in Europe....

My GT4 will be the car that I want- with no regard to the market. It was a great find to start with- 13,000 miles, same owner for 20 years- 100% dead stock original. Now after much thought I've decided to change the color but the car will be largely restored. Don't think I've seen one as good as this for sale here in the States for the past 5 years or so- some rebuilt engine cars with old interiors, some resprayed cars with tired engines- you know what most GT4s are these days.

Hopefully I'm helping to establish a new period of respectability for the unloved orphan Ferraris- the wedge shaped cars like the 400/412/308GT4.

15. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    what s/n is it?

16. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    It's not ?

17. maxdaddy

maxdaddy Rookie

Oct 29, 2011
    Nice looking GT4.

18. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Of course it is. I was just stirring the pot!

19. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Lol. We must be related :D

20. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Considering what a seized air pump could do to the engine I think running with the belt off may be prudent. If the pump is seized it is a $100 part available at AutoZone, not a big deal.

I _think_ all USA cars had leather and it was optional for the rest of the world. Velour cars do turn up over here occationally, about as often as two-seat GT4s.

21. F1111

F1111 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes, that kinda/exactly what i said - so i guess it's a good thing that I didn't just 'cut' a cheque and have it shipped,
    only to find out that it won't go into 3rd above 2 grand and has compression that ranges from 95-155.

22. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i'm not sure whether you actually know something about the car or not, but your original point was bang on...
    pictures are nice but, ultimately, mean very little when trying to determine the value of a 308 Dino GT4, where an engine and gearbox rebuild can cost as much as the car.

the car might be worth more than $40K but, as you've said, nothing in the pics or description is anything to actually 'go' on...buying that car based on either would be moronic.

23. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    wtf is a checkque?

24. F1111

F1111 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Brian
  25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And... did anyone snag a photo or two for archivals sake? The ad is no longer listed.