Most overpriced purchase you ever made? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Most overpriced purchase you ever made?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bpu699, Feb 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Hermes? Yeah, their belts were listed at $85 on a recent cruise I went on - selling for $45.

The Coach bags my wife likes were all $65 - selling for $35 with haggling...

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Most over priced purchases....anything and everything that had to do with my wedding except the wife, I'm still happy with that purchase.

Mark

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Reminds me of the souvenir I picked up while stationed in Holland during the mid eighties. Financially, I'm still paying for that...

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    X2 the wives were overpriced as well. ;)

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My pool...I didn't really want it, but my kids are young and love the water, so the wife convinced me. Most of the pool companies in my neck of the woods are a little "fly by night", and the one I selected was no exception.

The pool is in, but they forgot to give us some hardware, the grading on the property was never completed, and their customer service sucked.

Nothing over the top flawed, but a rotten experience, and I'd never recommend the company to anyone.

6. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ...beer at limerock

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    +1

We are still ahead of the purchase price but boy does this house suck.

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Even after all the hassles with the builder and the cost overruns, I have to say that we're very happy with the house.

Can't blame the builder for everything, though. I spent the $30K left in my car fund on non-essential aesthetic extras.

9. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    During the October snowstorm, I paid $2000 for a $500 generator. Got scalped, but i am glad I bought it on day2 since we had not power for 7 days.

Bdel

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Almost any college textbook, and certainly the law case books. Captive audience = incredible pricing.

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Range Rover! 'nuff said :(

12. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Got talked into by my wife to sell two of my cars for a re-do of the kitchen and master bathroom. Biggest waste of money and I can never replace the cars.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Reading this thread made me realize i am quite sensible compared to you guys. The most overprized item i bought was a DVD player back in 1999. I paid $1000 or so (6000 francs)..to basically watch DVDs. 2 years later, i was watching DVDs on my PC for much less.

14. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Try buying original Art to fill your house. That will make something pucker.

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My wife wanted stained oak for all of the door casings and baseboards, two rooms paneled in select pine, drapery rods with carved finials from Restoration Hardware, and ELFA shelving and accessories for all the closets.

We both wanted special-order ceiling moldings, a stone medieval-style fireplace piece, solid oak front doors (there are two), premium hardware, bath, and lighting fixtures, exterior ironwork built to my design, and cedar-faced overhead garage doors with special-order dummy hardware.

There are still a couple of extierior architectural features needed to complete the look, at a cost of $5K or so.

Guess I'll have to go back to work for that 360.

16. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    It's also fun selling the textbooks back when you are done with them. It's a complete joke.

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've got you all beat. When I was a kid I was in a hurry and ran into the drugstore to buy a one cent piece of bubble gum. I tossed a dime on the counter as I ran out the door: I paid ten times retail!

18. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    $280 for a rubber watch strap. Not leather, but rubber. It was an OEM replacement for my Blancpain Aqualung watch, which isn't an inexpensive watch. I can sort of justify the high cost of hand made mechanical watches because of the component complexity and amount of labor.

But a piece of rubber for $280? And that wasn't even with a new clasp. After market leather would have been cheaper, but I did want something waterproof.

19. Denman_Honda

Denman_Honda Karting

Sep 3, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Denman
    I paid $5.50 per early bird ticket to see Woman In Black. The time spent there was also a huge waste. FML

20. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    $75 for 5MB of prepaid cellular internet while travelling :(

21. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    bought a rolex submariner watch, almost lost it while sailing. sold it the next week. stupid waste of money.

22. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    Brought a Diesel bomber jacket for 205GBP... shipped it through a night and got it a day later, it didn't fit, so I brought the size up (which I have today)... everything's great, but paid an extra 20GBP for both of the shipping :( Diesel forgot to refund me, but I didn't care since I've moved on and was just happy with my purchase.

205+205=410... plus 40 = 450 GBP for a 205 jacket... LOL.

23. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    #48 brendon0, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah funny. My wife was having problems getting preggo too. Doc said her
    hormones were slightly off and to take a generic to help everything even out. Warned
    of "multiples" side effects, which we laughed about on the way home.....

I think the generic was like $3

They turned 1 yesterday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login