South Mountain Drive | FerrariChat

South Mountain Drive

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by agup48, Jan 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I was thinking that since I haven't been up South Mountain in a while and would like to drive up sometime soon, maybe I should form a little group of people who would like to join me.

Would anyone be interested in doing a drive up with me, perhaps we can get a little group together, any car welcome. It will unfortunately be an early morning event as there will be less cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclists to worry or get in the way. Silent Sunday is on Feb. 26th, the dates that may work are Feb. 11th and the 25th.

We meet at the Circle K on South Central Ave. & West Dobbins Rd. drive up to the top...hang out for a little bit and drive back down and get lunch. As I Google map the area, I found this place, seems fitting for an Italian car forum: http://www.ourfamilybistro.com/

The 'gates' open at 5AM, which is WAY too early, so I suggest we meet around 9AM-9:30AM or earlier if anyone thinks that is too late. :D

So...what does everyone think? If you are interested and/or if you have any ideas, post them below.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I do S Mountain fairly regularly.

Weekends, anytime are a traffic jam, between bicycles, hikers and tourists. The best is early (7:30a) on a weekday. If you go much later than that, not only is there more traffic, but the park rangers show up around 8, and with the CS, they can hear it all over the park. Ask me how I know? :)

That restaurant sounds good, but depending on the location on Central, the neighborhood could be sketchy, at best.

3. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #3 agup48, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    I have no time early mornings on weekdays due to class. I thought it would be best for it to be on the weekend so those, like me, can go during the weekend as they'll be a bit more free. But, that also depends on when and how many people will go. Is it really that bad on the weekends?

Also, the restaurant is listed as La Cucina Italia on Google Maps, it's North of the Circle K. It doesn't look that great on Street View, also depending on the number of people who are willing to go, we'll figure another place out if needed.

4. LukeF

LukeF Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    PHX, AZ
    Full Name:
    Luke Frampton
    There will be a good event on Feb 25. Don't plan anything then!

5. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Ever get the biker spit off the 348?

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You can go on the weekend. Just don't expect to get a decent run up the hill. If weekends are the only time you can go, Sunday is better than Sat...... but the earlier the better.

I don't think it would be a good idea to park anything other than a rusted out Pinto at that restaurant. That is a scary part of town.

I had almost forgot about that knuckle head. My cars are so well polished that it barely stuck! :)

7. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    How about Sunday the 12th, say we meet around 8 to 8:30AM at the Circle K?

Anyone, Bueller...Bueller?

1. agup48/Ashwin
    2. ____________

8. LukeF

LukeF Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    PHX, AZ
    Full Name:
    Luke Frampton

9. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #9 agup48, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Just went up this morning. First class we have off for a take home quiz and my professor is sick for the 2nd one, so I had a great morning waking up to the class canceled e-mail. I left around 8AM.

Took it easy going up and had a blast going down, there were a few corners where I couldn't even see due to the sun and my a-pillar so I slowed down a bit then.

Passed 10 cars on my way down, there were no cars going up except for a TV tower truck and just a few bicyclists and walkers but that was near the bottom.

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Not for me. I drove up there once. It was on a weekend and in the mid-day timeframe. It was a parking lot all the way and all the way down. Pretty views up there though!

11. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt

12. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I don't think it'll happen. Perhaps another time, maybe next month. Unless there will be more people willing to go, it'll just be me and you.