Ford GT v. F355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ford GT v. F355

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mseals, Jan 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Straight to the point!

FGT's are the only Ford worth anything in my book.
    Very good looking.
    Fast.
    Power is nice and linear.
    Engine is a simple v8 that's easy to work with.

Really the exact polar opposite in my book than a 355.

No brainier trade in my eyes.

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    You're right... straight to the point!

One other factor that I have to consider is that my 355 is a Euro spec model. When I leave Kuwait (and only God knows when that will be), if I did want to keep the car, I'd have to have it converted to US Specs at a cost of around $20K (or more).

All GTs are US Spec, and US imports, so the issue of sending one back is so much less of a problem than getting a Euro Spec car converted.

Of course, another option is to sell my Spider, put the money away, and get another F car when I go back. But, that could be in a few months, a few years, or even in 7 to 10 years...

There's one (count 'em one) GT for sale in Kuwait, red, no stripes, better than fair condition... but, funnily enough, the general population here do not like Fords in general, including, but not specifically, the GT.

There are a couple for sale in Dubai that I may fly down and look at in the next few weeks...

Time will tell!

Mike

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1 Mike, Luke's GT40 really is awesome from his Videos.

I am waiting to get more garage space and as soon as I do, I plan on getting a Ford GT as well. They are just such great looking cars, I cannot get over it.

4. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    You could also just buy a real GT40...

GT40's are great, vintage and replicas both, but they're a totally different thing than the GT. The GT has to be the best bang-for-buck hypercar out there. It's reliable, eminently usable, wicked fast right out of the box, making it even faster is simply a question of "how fast?", and the GT, which has obviously been proven to be a timeless design, is a smack in the face visually, with an impact unmatched by anything this side of the Pagani Zonda.

The only real question is which color to get.

Tungsten is the answer.

5. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Mike,
    I have owned a '95 355 Spider since 2003, and a 2005 Ford GT since 2007. They are 2 of the best cars of their marque ever produced, in my opinion.

The 355 is light and nimble, very easy to drive quickly if you keep it up high in the rev band, and has a sound like an F1 car strapped on behind you. You search out tunnels just to hear that sound. Did a 2,000 mile drive with 30 cars to Terlinqua and Big Bend in it, and it was made for those big open roads. The downside is the maintenece cost, and depreciation.

The Ford GT is very docile in around town driving. Air works great, good sound system, and then you press the go pedal. Holy Sh*t ,all hell breaks loose. The exhaust ramps up the sound, the tires attempt to maintain grip, and by the top of 2nd and 3rd gears, you are experiencing tunnel vision. First time I did an airport runway session, I backed off at the top of 3rd just because I had never experienced that kind of G-forces. I have ridden in a lot of exotics, with a VTTT Diablo probably being the fastest , but this Ford is right there with it in propulsion, and does it without even breathing hard.

That being said, it's hard to pass up a cruise around the lake with the top down in the 355 on a beautiful day. With the Ford, you look more for the entry ramps and freeways of the world, to feel the rush.

I bought the Ferrari before I knew about PPI's and F/chat. In the first 5 years of ownership, we had every typical problem 355's have. Seat potentiometers, cats, broken exhaust headers, and finally popped an exhaust valve at Motosports Ranch and did the valve guide fix. Spent over $30k, as each repair came 3-6 months apart. Now, 3 problem free years later, she is running fine. The Ford doesn't break. Never laid down on me, and the only service other than oil changes has been the warranty repair of some suspension bolts, and a fuel neck repair. We have been very happy with the Ford's good service record.

I share these 2 great cars with a buddy from high school, that taught me to powershift on his '67 Mustang GT 390. Hired his firm as our Auditors after our 20th Reunion, and we have been car partners for 7 years. We swap off every 4-5 months, share expenses and insurance, and it has allowed us to have two very different but equally great cars. If I had to live with only one from here on, it would be the GT.

6. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    #56 NSXER, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I love the GT. Completely, ever since the concept. I haven't driven one, well on the road, but I have been in several. Amazing. The only car that has excited me more was an Atom. And the shape is gorgeous, I love that they did it retro without butchering it. But the 355 is gorgeous as well. And I haven't had the pleasure of a ride, so I can't compare that.
    But for your driving style, it's a hard desicion. The GT accelerates like it doesn't want to quit, the sound of the blower just urges you to stay in it. But you don't get the high rpm scream.
    I'd say buy the GT. If it's not your deal, sell it when you get back to the states and by another 355, then put the rest in the bank. Or bring it back and buy the 355 anyway:D

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Awesome!

Is there a preference for the MKI or the MKII, or are they close enough?

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I bought my 2005 Ford GT new. It has been a reliable and fun car to own. Not awesome power but very good at the stock 500 hp. The car is very inexpensive to maintan.

I have owned several ferraris, a 360 Modena, F430 and now a 458. I think you will find the F355 expensive to keep up with service unless you do it yourself and some may be difficult.
    My freind who has a 355 says you "live for the tunnels". great sound to wind the 355 up but no real Grunt and no real power but alot of fun.

I think the Ford GT will be easier to live with in allaspects including total cost of driving.
    I think the car is a refined and exciting car to drive.

Good luck whatever you buy. :)

Lee

10. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Excellent post... thanks, Lee!

Mike

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I drove one - I don't own one.

It's definitely a brute of car - not just in performance. It feels "big" - big doors, reasonably stiff clutch, wide body, etc.

Once you drive it - that impression of "big" goes away. It's nimble, nice steering, handles great...sounds awesome.

Completely different to the F430 I drove right after - I much preferred the F430, but the GT was memorable. If you are smitten with them, you wouldn't be disappointed once you own it.

12. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    Ford GT has a stiff clutch? I would consider the GT pedal to be in the same league as a Honda Accord.

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Note, I said "reasonably stiff" - maybe better to have said "moderately stiff". Perhaps it was the car I drove, but I wouldn't put it in Accord category! I found it on par with my E-Type, which compared to my old Toyotas, is like a truck.

14. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    It's not reasonably or moderately stiff, that is simply an inaccurate description. It has VERY light pedal pressure. They don't differ from car to car either. You can shift them with your pinky as well. One of the slickest manual tranny setups ever!

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Did you change the stock setup on yours to the FORD Catalog Parts Short Throw Shifter?

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Ok - I guess I'm wrong then. In the future, I'll make sure my opinion is run by others to ensure it aligns with their thinking, because clearly I know nothing.

17. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I disagree - I've owned 11 FGT's - the clutch is moderately stiff for a modern car.

18. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Respectfully disagree. Yes, it's easy to shift, but as Tom and rdefabri said, correctly, the clutch does have a decent amount of pressure.

As far as shifting with your pinky....not quite. Heck it takes both hands to put that thing into reverse!

19. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    Putting it into reverse you have to push through a detent and never once in two years did I use both arms to do it. That is different than shifting through the gears. They only difficulty is shifting into second when it is cold. Other than that they shift like butter.

I've owned 27 GTs and the clutch pedal pressure is very light and if you think differently then might I suggest a gym membership. That or just buy a flapper shifting car leaving both legs to press on the accelerator. What modern supercar can you even buy these days with a proper shifter?

Based on the two arm shifting and stiff GT clutch pedal comments I am hereby notifying you both to never EVER attempt to drive a GT40. It will not be a pleasant experience.

20. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    No

21. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    I have an e-type and a GT.......not even close, the GT clutch is much lighter/easier.

22. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm calling BS..... You've owned 27 GT's? Come on, you've owned 1........ that you bought from Elite. Don't you know that many of the FordGT Forum members are also members here? And as far as never attempting to drive a GT40, neither of us has, you're driving a kit/replica, a nice one though.

23. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    LMAO ok Holmes you mean there are other FGT forum members that are on here? I am so busted the humanity! Sarcasm... just another service I offer.

24. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    PS if you call my GT40 a kit car one more time...

25. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The FGT appeals to me more than the 355.
    Make the move Mike. You can always trade it for an F430 later on. ;)