Do serial numbers fluctuate or are they linear? | FerrariChat

Do serial numbers fluctuate or are they linear?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tifosi12, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I was looking at some of the serial numbers listed in the thread about the greatest collections and noticed that for e.g. the 288 GTO the numbers are not going straight up along with the production year of the car.

To give an example: Lauren 1984 has 52739, Obrist 1985 has 54235, but Matsuda 1984 has 55237.

Are these errors on that website or did Ferrari go up and down with the serial numbers as the years progressed? Also I think they didn't build them one after another. There were only 272 GTOs built, but the serial number range spans about 5,000 numbers.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What you will find on the "specials" is that they were pulled from production lines and then rerouted for fabrication thru the race shop or whatever.

They are usually still released in chrono order, but it was not unusual for some to "pass" their siblings on the race shop line! Must have been stroke by the buyer.

Cavallino recapped various versions of track issue F40s that was interesting to review.

Lot's of numbering shenanigans went down when Enzo was around for important customers. These days I think it's pretty much standardized.

For WIW, I asked about an Enzo at the car show, if it was a customer's car. You know, 1 of 399. The answer: No, this one belongs to Ferrari,
    probably #402!

Anyone else?