Sticky parts - what coating when redoing? | FerrariChat

Sticky parts - what coating when redoing?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jevs, Feb 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    #1 jevs, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    I have read about everything I can find in regards to re-finishing the sticky parts. It seams that people have used all kinds of coatings. I want to find out what the best coating is once and for all so I can order. I do not plan to send these off, so you can save that recommendation...at least for now.

Here is what I have seen

1) I think some people use spray-on plasti-dip for everything
    2) Someone used plasti-dip on plastic stuff and Rustoleaum texture paint on metal parts
    3) Someone used SEM products
    a) SEM Plastic Soap (#39362)
    b) SEM Plastic & Leather Prep (#38353)
    c) SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter (#39863)
    d) SEM Color Coat (matte black)

Anyone used Dupicolor or VHT stuff?

Which products are the best and going to hold up?

With the SEM stuff, do the metal parts and plastic parts get done with the same paint?

Plasti-dip or SEM better?

Whats with the rustoleum? Why not just plasti-dip the metal parts too?

Is there something better and more industrial strength for someone like me that has all the tools and guns to paint cars?

2. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Hi Jevs,

I am working on a very in-depth experimentation of everything I've read online and I plan on testing every cleaning product method as well as every refinishing product/paint including all the ones you mentionned.

I will take pictures and document everything so that other Fchatters can benefit from the experiment and we can find the absolute best solution once and for all.

I did some testing and my initial reaction is telling me to use the SEM adhesion promoter and then the sem paint on top of it. The plasti-dip stuff is cool because it will give a much closer resemblance to the original touch/feel of the parts as it did when the car was new, however, it just seems to peel off so easily to me that I am worried about its resistance over time.

Another challenge is the fact that the HVAC panel cannot be refinished and you must absolutely get a new cover which is available for 80$ at Ricambi (and well worth it)

That covering is also black and has a certain texture. My main objective will be to get as close to that cover as possible to give a seamless look to the interior.

If you can wait a week or so, I will be starting a thread on this with all my findings and results so you can benefit from it. Be patient, let me be the guinea pig......

3. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I blasted all my parts with Rustoleum. No point in bothering with any of the Plasti-dip stuff unless you want to do all the refinishing again in a year or two. The Rustoleum texture paint matches the original finish used on the console and goes well with the HVAC overlay panel.

4. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I bought some of these materials today since I had to go to lowes to get stuff to install my lift tommorow.

I bought a can of rustoleaum paint for bumpers and trim also. Has anyone tried that stuff?

So, the plasti-dip is no good to use?

I was thinking of testing these things I bought on some scrap plastic and see what is tougher.

Has anyone just tried a regular automotive paint (not a spray can)?

5. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Ok, well, if you get a jump on it before me please post some pics and keep us informed on your progress.

Are you replacing the hvac panel? Has yours began bubbling up yet?

6. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I wont get to it right away most likely.

Does anyone know what stickynomore paints the parts with?

7. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Obviously, he won't let us in on it because he is running a business. I've seen him trash the whole plasti-dip thing so I doubt he is using that.

I am pretty sure he cleans the parts really well and has found a good textured paint for the parts that looks good and is durable. I am pretty convinced it's one of the paints that I will be testing.

The big advantage of using Stickynomore is that you are guaranteed to have a good result, it will save you time and he knows how to dissasemble the switches which you should NEVER do yourself.

However, I intend to get to the bottom of it and finding the perfect recipe on how this gets done and I will post the outcome here shortly

fossey likes this.
  8. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I'm the guy who posted the thread about using the SEM products. It's been 8 months and no issues so far. I haven't used the SEM products on the interior door handles. I haven't gotten around to it, but I had planned on having these parts powder coating because of the higher durability.

9. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    #9 jevs, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Lucky for me I have an oven and powdercoating system setup in the garage then :) It's been awhile since I used it. Those would definatly be better powdercoated. The ashtray may be better off powdercoated as well. I have not looked at any of that yet.

I talked to the guys at Sew Fine today and they acted like the SEM stuff would not hold up. He was calling it vinyl dye though, so maybe what you used is different? I am just wondering how they applied it in the past to come to that conclusion and if it is the same thing you used.

I am just wondering if a single stage automotive finish with a flex agent added would be better than all this spray can stuff....

10. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    The SEM stuff that I used wasn't their vinyl dye. All I know is that it's on there pretty well. I can't scuff it off with my finger nail, though I tried. I'm sure if I scraped it hard with a key, that it'd scratch up but I have no plans to scrape my keys across the plastic parts.

Like you said, single stage auto finish with flex agent could be the better way to go. I'm not sure. I don't have the equipment to DIY, so I chose the route available to me. It'd be interesting to resurrect this thread in a few years from now and see how everyone's refinishing is holding up - including those by the pros.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Let us all know how it goes and the various pros/cons.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My 355 had one sticky vent, I took it off, cleaned it with EasyOff cleaner, risned it, and dried it off. Then I noticed that the base material is black and looks exactly like the Rustoleum finish I did before on the 348. So, not being extremely stupid, I put it back without painting it more. And, no one has been able to tell the difference, including me. I forgot which side I did, and can't tell.

The base material on the 348 is not like that by the way and had to be painted with primer and Rustoleum semi gloss.

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Plasti-dip would be a mistake to use - it would be a temporary solution, give it 6 months or so and it will peel off.

13. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I stripped the steering column pieces today. They are not going to look good without painting them. I even tried using my new little buffer I bought, but the raw plastic is just not going to look nice.

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Take a look at the thread I posted about restoring the interior of my 355- The Rustoleum texture paint- applied correctly to the steering column surround is incredible looking.

I used the SEM flexible color stuff on my maserati interior parts and they look perfect. Basically take your time and do good prep and you'll get a good outcome.

When refinishing the knobs on the A/C panel REMEMBER the knobs release from C Clips on the back of the potentiometers- DO NOT try and pry them off. Also the little white indicator lines on the knobs can be gently pushed back out of the knobs- allowing you to refinish the plastic knob and then re-einsert the translucent white strip-

No need to powder coat the ashtray- Clean it well, sand it- prime it and use the texture paint- looks factory.

15. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Which was better, the SEM or the Rustoleum? Did you use the primer that is recommeded on the back of the can with the Rustoleum?

16. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    They are different- the SEM really needs the plastic primer or it goes on poorly- I shot the rustoleum with no primer- the secret is to "mist" on 3-5 coats the build up the fine texture- try it on a gabage can lid or some scrap- it's pretty amazing....

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Have you folks tried the Rust-Oleum Adhesion Promoter. Really helps adheision if you apply a light coat. Remember less paint on plastic is always better. Prep prep prep is the key

:)

18. tech4ferrari

tech4ferrari Karting
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 22, 2010
    Mt Airy N,C
    Full Name:
    casey johnson
    Just curious why people are using texture paint?? nothing about a texture finish is factory, look at nice non sticky Ferrari Interior pieces and there isn't anything that has a texture finish. If you are looking for something different that's fine, but if you are looking for as close to a factory finish as possible either go with Sticky no More or Green Olive refinishing co.

19. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    After debating on this for a few days, I think I am going to go with the SEM products. I talked to them on the phone and got some good info. Basically they suggested the same products as the previous poster on here used. The only question was which adhesion promoter to use.

Has anyone tested the interior plastics to see what they are made from? ABS requires adhesion promoter 38363 were as the other plastics would require the adhesion promoter the previous poster on here recommended (39863).

He said to test if it is ABS by using a little acetone on the back of the part. If it causes any stickyness or appears to be having an effect, then it is ABS. If no effect, then safe to use the 39863.

He also recommended the 15013 for the color, is this what you guys that used SEM used?

20. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #21 treedee3d, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is great info, I bought all of that stuff from SEM but was unaware of the ABS testing. The black I bought was the one reccomended by Jay SEM 15243. However, it doesn't really matter since all the black will be painted so there is no matching that needs to be done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    #22 jevs, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    How much of each of these products do you guys think I will need to do all the sticky stuff..

-plastic soap 39362
    -plastic and leather prep 38353
    -plastic adhesion promoter depending on my plastic test later 38363 or 39863
    note: 39863 is larger can than 38363
    -self etching primer black (for the metal parts when bare) 39673
    -color coat 15013 or 15243 (not sure which is a better match?)

22. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I did some testing and looked at the plastic parts today. It appears to me that there are two different plastics being used which means two different "adhesion promoters" and application techniques would be needed to do the job correctly.

It appears to me that the column shrouds are ABS plastic. They have no markings, but do soften and smear black with Acetone.

The vent pieces are marked with PPE which I assume means they are Polyphenylene. I also tested this with acetone, and got no softening or rub off of black (on a spot that never got any sticky stuff sprayed on it.

With that said I will be ordering the 38363 for the steering column shrouds and 39863 for the vents.

I did not test switches or center console parts yet, but I will be prepared since I am ordering both.

23. butch355

butch355 Karting

Jan 27, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Brent
    I used SEM trim black which is sold at paint shops.

They sell the stuff by the cases and the same paint the factories use (per the sales guy).

I even have a local F car dealer using it on some interior parts after they saw my finished work.

24. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I talked to SEM and they said the Trim black is really formulated for metal. After talking with them about the flat finish I want, he suggested I use part number 39293 Honda black bumper coater. He said this is the same fomulation as the Color Coats, but it is a true flat instead of satin finish.

I placed my order for the following products. This should be everything to do the job exactly as the manufacturer recommends for each type of material (bare metal, ABS plastic, and Polyphenylene or other plastics).

FINE SCOTCH-BRITE MMM 7448 (Scuff)
    SEM SOAP (12 OZ.) SEM 39362 (Clean)
    PLASTIC PREP AEROSOL SEM 38353 (Prep)
    PLASTIC ADHESION PROMOTER SEM 39863 (For other plastics)
    SAND FREE SEM 38363 (For ABS Plastic)
    SELF ETCH PRIMER-BLACK SEM 39673 (For Bare Metal)
    (X2) HONDA BLACK SEM 39293 (Top coat for all)

A bit pricey, but I want to do it right. This was $133 with shipping. The only place to save is not buying a whole box of scotch brites, but I will eventually use them all.

This is what the pros recommend, so we will see :)