Noob here. I need some information. Please help. | FerrariChat

Noob here. I need some information. Please help.

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by I Want A Ferrari!, Jan 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I Want A Ferrari!

Jan 29, 2012
    Walker, LA
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #1 I Want A Ferrari!, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
    Hello guys. I am a car enthusiast and have had many sports cars in the past, but only listed recent ones in my profile. However, I have always wanted a Ferrari. For the few months I have really began actively searching for a Ferrari to possibly purchase and have narrowed the models down to my first preferance, a 355, and a 348 runs a close second. Can anyone give advice or thoughts on either model. I am 6'1" and weigh about 235 so I'm not sure if this will be a factor or not. Also, I have heard many horror stories about the maintenence prices and parts. I am not rich by any means and I don't want to buy the car and not be able to afford the maintenence for it. Please help, and as always your advice is greatly appreciated.

Here are a few past rides just to help introduce myself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    well- i would abuse the search function here a lot since the 348 and 355 are common topics.

Both cars have their good and bad points.

Basic rules are to not purchase in haste, have complete PPI from a trusted source, buy the best you can, and keep a cash reserve to sort the car out once you have it.

Yes- the parts are quite expensive.
    Both the 348 and 355 require expensive engine out belt services.

3. FDT

FDT Formula Junior

May 18, 2010
    La
    Full Name:
    Ric
    The f car is like any other toy, expensive to maintain and not justifiable by any means but if your heart can take it, jump on in, the experience is pretty awsome. I am 245 6'5" and while a little tight I fit just fine. I have a 355.

4. Wildcatfans

Wildcatfans Karting

Sep 4, 2001
    Baton Rouge
    Full Name:
    Donny Bridges
    You've received some good advise so far. I went through the same decision process, 355 vs 348 and spent a lot of time driving both. Ultimately I chose a 348 Serie Speciale and couldn't be happier. As Paul said, both have advantages and disadvantages.

I started listing pros and cons of each but it would probably be easier if we discussed it. Try to come to the next cars and coffee and I'll bore you with my opinions.

5. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Those two models might not be your best choices if, like me, you want to own a Ferrari but minimize the cost of ownership. I chose a 328 for that reason as well as the beauty of the coachwork, but the tradeoff was a car that is not very fast. Perhaps a call or visit to Jim Lindsey of Lindsey Automotive in Kenner is in order.

6. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I was going to offer similar advice. He's the guy to go to around here for Ferrari maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Wildcatfans

Wildcatfans Karting

Sep 4, 2001
    Baton Rouge
    Full Name:
    Donny Bridges
    Although most would agree with your statement concerning the cost of ownership between the 308/328 & the 348/355, I can say from experience that my 308 cost me more during the 5 years I owned it than my SS has, including its upcoming major. The 308/328 are getting on up there in age and with that you can expect to start replacing rubber components, drying leather, rust, electrical gremilins, etc.

It is also a function of what you want from your Ferrari ownership experience. The 348/355 are much quicker and definitely stop better. The 308/328 provide a very pure (for lack of a better word) driving experience providing you with a lot of feedback and makes you feel very connected to the car.

I really enjoyed my 308 but have not regretted purchasing the 348. To be honest, sometimes I wish I had both.

And everyone is correct, call Jim Lindsey.

8. vedovatti

vedovatti Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    LA
    Full Name:
    Luigi Vedovatti
    My friend I was in the same position as you are, for a year I look and look and ask plenty of questions.
    After all my homework; I got a F430 because just like you I dont have alots of money and for this reason I got the 430 the car is the best in my opinion the belts to change plus if you have a bit of sence you can change the oils and do the small work your self.
    I love the F355 but the car cost to much to keep up and by the time you do the math you will see that it is a much better car the 430 in every way.
    If you dont want a car that is like a latin women, you should look at porsche, I have 7 in my life time and the car is just so cheap compare to ferrari to maintain but germans dont have the italian passion is just a different car.
    I am thinking in getting a F355 because I love the car looks so much but the cost pull me back.
    If you have a sail boat I will trade you for the F430, I need a sail boat for a home I have in an Island in S-America and I need it now but because I just got my 430 last december I cant jump into the sail boat at the moment.
    I hope you find the help you need in here, PM if you will like and I can tell you all about my decision on the car.
    Death is certain life is not.
    Luigi V.

9. vedovatti

vedovatti Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    LA
    Full Name:
    Luigi Vedovatti
    My friend I was in the same position as you are, for a year I look and look and ask plenty of questions.
    After all my homework; I got a F430 because just like you I dont have alots of money and for this reason I got the 430 the car is the best in my opinion the belts to change plus if you have a bit of sence you can change the oils and do the small work your self.
    I love the F355 but the car cost to much to keep up and by the time you do the math you will see that it is a much better car the 430 in every way.
    If you dont want a car that is like a latin women, you should look at porsche, I have 7 in my life time and the car is just so cheap compare to ferrari to maintain but germans dont have the italian passion is just a different car.
    I am thinking in getting a F355 because I love the car looks so much but the cost pull me back.
    If you have a sail boat I will trade you for the F430, I need a sail boat for a home I have in an Island in S-America and I need it now but because I just got my 430 last december I cant jump into the sail boat at the moment.
    I hope you find the help you need in here, PM if you will like and I can tell you all about my decision on the car.
    Luigi V.

10. vedovatti

vedovatti Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    LA
    Full Name:
    Luigi Vedovatti
    Luigi V.