Countach, the ultimate supercar | Page 478 | FerrariChat

Countach, the ultimate supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Aug 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #11926 joe sackey, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #11927 joe sackey, Feb 19, 2012
    Whilst a debate exists on other threads as to the merits or lack thereof of installing Bravos on cars which are not genuine S1 cars, Id like to bring to the community's attention a problem that MAY exist with the reproduction units. Bear in mind this is 2nd-hand information passed along to me by a good client who is an industrialist and whose comments I take at face value.

Firstly, the repro Bravos weigh a LOT more than the original sand-cast magnesium units.

Secondly, they have an offset differential (see below) that makes the wheels sit out a bit further.

The two issues above combine to provide UNSTABLE handling at high speeds.

Because I realize this is one person's perspective, I invite others who have used the repro Bravos to weigh in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #11928 joe sackey, Feb 19, 2012
  4. RPMMarcus

RPMMarcus Karting

Feb 18, 2012
    Thanks LC, interesting.. The Blue first production countach looks to bright if i look at this dark blue but its just a matter of a new paintjob

5. RPMMarcus

RPMMarcus Karting

Feb 18, 2012
    Wow, these are the rims on the car from Roy? In that case i agree and would put the originals back.

6. The Bravo repos are available in the stock offset or 6 mm (which is cheaper of the 2). I don't know why they produced a different version. Maybe someone else does?

7. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I don't think Joe is saying Roy's S2 has repros on it. He is merely providing us with some discussion points on the wheels themselves.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No Marcus, nothing to do with Roy's, his are originals, these are repros. This has been stated in the various threads.

Sorry, no disrespect intended, but it seems to me you post before you read.

9. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I was told basicaly the same thing by others on the re-prodiced wheels..PLUS I thought they were way over-priced.

Just to be clear the Bravos I have installed on my S2 OR NOT these re-production wheels, they are true OEM ORGINALS

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks for clarifying that again, you had already so stated earlier and if Marcus actually reads the posts he would have known not to ask. Yes indeed, there MAY be a problem with the repro wheel, but cant confirm anything fist-hand. Its a matter of buyers doing their own due-diligence.

11. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    +1.
    Could it be possible the person has the wrong offset for their Series?
    We all know the Bravos on the S1 sit deeper in the wheelwell.

12. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    Offset pushing the wheel further out probably actually enhances handling because it actually widens the track a bit.. you see this apparent in the later ct... but if off by 10-15mm, not a big difference. If offset pushes the wheels in further, that would be another story.... Also, as to weight of wheels, heavier does not make the car unstable, just slows it down because of added weight that the engine has to carry, parasitic loss... however, none of these will make the car unstable in any way... But in my opinion, I would have the repros to run on simply because those vintage mag wheels have a tendency to leak air... And if there is a sudden loss of air, the car goes out of control, the damage following would be severe to say the least.... Magnesium wheels are indeed lighter but not durable for long term... Modern casting tech for aluminum wheels nowadays can probably be fairly close to magnesium sand casting methods in product weight and still offer more durability against the elements, and last better over time...

13. The repos can't be any heavier than the 89 rims.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Do you have any data on this?

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You've tested both original & repro sets of Bravos and arrived at this conclusion?

16. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    +1
    Even the first non Bravo wheels from Campagnolo made in magnesium were a lot lighter than the latter OZ Wheels. I think about 30-40%.

17. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    It depends what you understand under Unstable, in the end it's the same which happens when you mount spacers, the load onto the suspension will be increased (because of the longer arm ratios) the stability looses a bit because of the wider track, that's all.
    The weight has less influence overall mainly slowing doing acceleration.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    To me, this is a very bad thing in a 175 mph car.

19. RPMMarcus

RPMMarcus Karting

Feb 18, 2012
    Ok, after a good inspection of your pic from the repro i can see the difference on the original ones from Roys car you can see the "pipes" on the rims are not ending in a 90degree corner like the repro's do. Sorry i first reed now, inspect pictures and then post!

20. RPMMarcus

RPMMarcus Karting

Feb 18, 2012
    So actually we can say that if you mount bravo S1 rims on a QV countach it will improve handeling big time!

21. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    Marcus,

I recommend to read this thread carefully from the beginning, and THEN continue discussing with long time enthusiast members participating here.

Regards

C./LC3929

22. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    any LP400S rims is lighter than later OZs
    if you would put original bravos or campagnolo dish you could benefit of some handling improvment.

but honestly, if i would own a QV or 5000S, i would not mess with rims
    OZs are less fragile and correct for the model

23. RPMMarcus

RPMMarcus Karting

Feb 18, 2012
    Ok, thanks LC, i am reeding all day long i now have square eyes so i quit for 5 hours now!

Marcus

24. RPMMarcus

RPMMarcus Karting

Feb 18, 2012
    Ok, thanks, i think i also would keep everything how the factory build them! Just was thinking...

25. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    1. point yes
    2. point NO! since the suspension setting is adjusted to the wheel size/weight