City/media downplaying G8 | FerrariChat

City/media downplaying G8

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Feb 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Looking at past summits I fear the worst. This was a dumb idea to get G8 AND NATO into our town. Every hooligan who finds transportation will be here and vandalize downtown.

I can't believe how the city/ police/mayor/media are downplaying this event. As a store owner I'd start buying big sheets of plywood and send my staff on vacation in May.

This is gonna be real bad.

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    The city is downplaying but others are not.
    My son's HS decided to move the date of Prom that is usually held at that time at the Ritz.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I've seen companies advising their entire staff to work from home for the entire duration. Imagine that.

4. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So did mine.

Will it really be that bad?

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #5 tifosi12, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    At the minimum any commute will become a nightmare because of all the increased security parameters around the summits. Plus probably lots of security checkpoints throughout the city. Going to work will be like getting on a plane with all the security hoopla.

Add to that all the hooligans who will make it here. Our only hope is that the creatures from Europe won't have the $$$ to travel here, but the US has plenty of that crowd too and they will be here: This is the prime target, particularly with G8 AND NATO.
    Remember the last summit in Seattle? Riots and chaos, burning cars, looted stores etc.

Forget Occupy Wallstreet, think Athens (now) or worse Genua a few years back.

And that's not even considering any terrorist attacks. :(

As a city you really don't want either of these events in your town. You're simply making yourself a giant target for any bad person imaginable.

I wish they'd communicate more about the safety precautions they're lining up. I hope the National Guard is on stand-by.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I guess if Chicago wants to be on the world stage even more they need to take risks. The one thing they need to remember is if the police crack down to much and hurt some dead beats the media will talk about it for years. Better to just push them back and let them ruin our parks. Any people who don't have to be downtown in the loop should avoid it for 2 weeks in May.

Don't they have some special tax they can hit them up for. Maybe an added lawncare/park cleanup tax on top of the normal charges. Where is the useless city council when you need them:).

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 17th 2012

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What will we get in return for this? The Olympics? Oh, no, we weren't good enough for that. How about if they host the next G8 in Rio?

I'm fine with that. Let them talk. I doubt the media will be on the side of the hooligans though.

If this was only about cleaning up the parks, I wouldn't care. I see the Magnificent Mile in flames.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I hope they can keep the crowd controlled better than that. Why not put the G8 summit in a Rio ghetto. They can get a feel for 3rd world then(oh I forgot, Brazil is not a 3rd world jungle anymore):).

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We saw last summer how modern hooligans operate: Mobbing organized on the fly thanks to IM technology. These guys can "hide" all around downtown and suddenly appear at one place decided 10 minutes prior and strike.

ROFL

FIFA and IOC will learn a painful lesson.

10. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt

Oh crap, that does sound really bad. I honestly hope that riots and stuff don't happen. Hope security is strong.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    BGC better board their windows....

12. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Protest groups and other activists are expected to make a strong showing at the summit, and these groups are expected to have planned well in advance. Adbusters, an organization that helped initiate Occupy Wall Street, has called for a mass occupation of Chicago starting on May 1. This call has the potential to bring together the newer domestically-focused Occupy movement with the ongoing anti-globalization movement.

Fortunately I'll be out in the Hamptons while they're here. I'm not stickin around town for this..

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Last night the news reported that Northwestern and De Paul are moving their graduation ceremonies because of the summit.

14. LambogatiINC

LambogatiINC Formula 3

Aug 14, 2004
    Toronto/Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sal
    This is not a fun event for anyone and I don't understand why they dont do it outside big city's. I remember the Toronto summit in 2010, 8 police cars destroyed, almost 1500 arrested, 20k cops on the roads, anyone within half a mile of the event will need to go through security and have special id with regular id and a nice explaination as to why they are there, every time.

They're still trials and taxpayer money being spent on convicting those protestors, and lots of damage incurred by store owners, around 750k. Alleged police brutality, robberies, an overnight secret "police have authority to do anything, anytime, to anyone" law was put into effect. Something not to look forward to at all.

15. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Chicago will become little Greece.
    Expect molotov cocktails and worse.
    The CPD is buying new riot gear.
    I work with a CFD (Chicago Fire) guy.... they are really NOT looking forward to this.
    This is going to sux!
    I don't think Rahm is going too smell really good after this slowly approaching debacle

But at least those new traffic camera's will slow 'em down!

16. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    seriously.
    all the drunks on Rush street will be watching it on the news, then get some bright ideas...

17. Ivan Rajic

Ivan Rajic Karting

Jul 18, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rajic
    Definitely not looking forward to this, but keep thinking at least I live a good 30 mins out of downtown and my shop location is in Hoffman Estates, so I'll be away from everything as much as possible.

18. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    This event just drew a big red bullseye on Chicago for every nut job and terrorist on the planet.
    Chicagoans elected another fool for the Mayor's office who's costing the taxpayers one way or another.
    The media is just as bad, they will do their best to showcase the protests which will encourage the troublemakers even more.
    I really, really hope the police are able to administer the beatings these f'ers deserve without repercussion.

19. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI

For the best post herein. Man it's refreshing to hear the truth : never spoken by USA's media. Word.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Whom are you referring to? Merkel, Sarkozy and Co.?

21. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    When is the summit supposed to happen? I think I'll avoid the city at that time

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #22 tifosi12, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    The G8 summit is only May 19-20 but the NATO summit is May 15-22.

And of course anarchists don't really go by the exact calendar; they show up and leave as they please.

PS: I've already booked my vacation accordingly.

23. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    By the way, did anybody vote on this??
    Another example of Chicago's democratic machine leading it's citizens to slaughter.
    If "we" escape violence the citizens of Chicago and Cook county will be still be left with the tab.
    Think about this next time while reaching for the "D" lever.(If you can afford to park at the polling place)

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Don't worry,most of the Chicagoans happily reaching for "D" will look at the riots as an opportunity to get that new ipad or TV.....
    .....and they don't park....

25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well the G8 is gone, but they still are having the NATO summit in Chicago. Not sure what the move means. Maybe some of the protestors will not come to Chicago now.