Adding a 2012 Z06 Z07 to my collection, am I crazy? | FerrariChat

Adding a 2012 Z06 Z07 to my collection, am I crazy?

Discussion in '360/430' started by needspeed, Feb 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 needspeed, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    I never never owned a Vett and my wife loves our F430 which is a keeper for us, so want a new toy and figure I should own a Vett at least once just for poops and giggles.

It is a 2012 3LZ Carbon Flash Metallic with Z06 CARBON FIBER PACKAGE and Z06 ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE so essentially loaded. I am going to use it alongside my F430 for autox, but am willing to mod the Z06 for track use where I rather leave my F430 alone.

Yes, I could get a Scud, but my wife will hate that car. In the next year or so I will upgrade the 430 to a 458, but figure it would be fun to have a new toy in the interim.

Any comments are welcome especially from those who own or have owned Vetts…….Thanks…..Steve.

2. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Your wife will not hate the Scud. My wife is really picky, and she loved it, even drove it at Exotic's racing. But my wife also, does prefer the grumble grumble of a V8 engine over the higher pitch Ferrari sound.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sure, why not? :)

Can you post a pic of the color you are thinking of?

4. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    for toys...anything goes, for exotic experience, hell no....just my IMHO =)

5. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 needspeed, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know it is no exotic but there is always room in my heart for a big american V8. I did test drive a Scud with the wife and she did not like it even though I I have a Tubi on my F430 :D.......Steve

This is what it looks like:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    sure why not.. you can beat up on it and not feel guilty..

7. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    I drove Z06's and ZR1's for two full days at the Ron Fellows Driving School at Spring Mountain Racetrack 3 weeks ago.

People can say want they want, but these new Vettes are badass cars and lethal weapons for the cost of ownership. I actually liked the Z06 better, as the ZR1 power was difficult to put down. You optioned yours to perfection with the ZR1 handling setup and CF brakes.

I predict you will enjoy the sh*t out of that car. Sure it's not an exotic, but you know that and presumably you didn't buy it to fill the role of an exotic.

But it is fantastic at what it is..... a ballbusting performance car and a bargain price that you can flog the stink out of, anytime, anywhere!!!! Enjoy it and report back to us!!!

Wolf

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice, thanks for the pics. I like that they are at least putting *some* thought into the interior now - I like the stitching and alcantera touches.

My buddy had a few vettes. He loved hitting the gas & being thrown back into the seat. Vettes are good for that!

9. tony25

tony25 Rookie

Sep 18, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Steve go for it. I have a base C6 along with the 360 and we love both cars. You will have fun with it and can take it out everyday.

10. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    I have seen them before. Many out there for way less than retail at the moment. Just add the Caravaggio race seats, or Daytona's. The stock seats, even though they are improved for 2012, still can't compare. Just send them your seats, and they will convert them. Cost, around 7k.

11. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    yeah , i think the vette will be a fun car to play with!

12. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    A good friend of mine has a Z06, and I've driven it hard and casually around town. The car is definitely fast and handles exceptionally well, and it would be perfect for those occasional track days on road courses. For AutoX, it might be just a bit too wide and has too much power/torque. My biggest disappointment was how the car drove around town. The clutch was way too soft, the engine vibrates too much when sitting in traffic and the tire noise when cruising on the freeway.

13. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Getting it tomorrow in St Louis, MO and driving her back to Iowa. Roads should be good and temps above 40 most if not all the way.

They are giving them away for invoice or less with cash back so what the hell. I can treat her like a dirtly little wh***r and she will like it. No disrespect to wh***rs intended.

I will see how bad the seats are for racing and upgrade if necessary.......Thanks........Steve

av2.....I was thinking Viper at first, so I am OK with the lack of refinement, in fact I want it. The fastest guy in our autox region has a preped C5 and he is the fastest car out there.

I have a New CTS-V Coupe for my DD.

14. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
    I think the Z06 makes a great complement to the 360/430. Have considered adding one to the stable for a long time, but haven't yet done so.

One suggestion - unless you are MADE of money and don't care about depreciation - look for a nice clean used '08 Z06 with 1-2 owners and low mileage. At the point of depreciation where 06-08 Z06s are at, they will hold their value VERY well over a 2-3 year term of ownership.

New ones, however, depreciate like a rock. A big, heavy rock.

I was considering getting an '07 in orange and then adding the Vortech supercharger kit to it at a conservative 4.5PSI of boost. Although that engine was never really meant to have forced induction, many owners have had these kits for a 1-4 years now, and I've only read one report of a blown engine. An amazing bargain for over 650 ponies.

Just my .02, do what you like!

15. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    Sweet daily driver. Your new carbon packaged Z06 will be bad a$$.

16. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would not have thought of getting the Vett until they did the Z07 package, since I really do not want an FI Vett vis-à-vis the ZR1, so a used one would be too much work to find . Life is short and death, taxes and depreciation are inevitable, so ride the wave as long as you can……..Thanks…..Steve

17. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    I bought a 2007 Z06 new to go with my 360 at the time. While the vette was a awesome performance machine it got boring pretty fast, so I used it as a daily driver. One thing that really took the fun out of it for me was the fact that every time you drive it you see 40 vettes just like yours!

18. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I may not have that issue, in that I live in the middle of no where Iowa, so this is truck country. A Vett, especially a Z06, is still very rare here. But that is OK since I am buying it to drive the piss out of it. I also think it will make me appreciate my F430 all the more.......Steve

19. INTRUBL

INTRUBL Karting

Mar 6, 2006
    Mahopac N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Bob Anderson
    and if it breaks you can fix it with a hammer.

20. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    That interior is awesome. Big step up from the stock setup.

21. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #21 jlonmark, Feb 24, 2012
    I am on my second C6 Z06. Of all the cars I currently own, or have owned this is one of my favorites. This is the best "out of the box race car." I love the way it handles, brakes, and accelerates!

22. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    never! GTR FTW!

23. Always_Fresh74

Always_Fresh74 Karting

Dec 16, 2008
    Buy it!!!

I had a 07 z06 and it was tons of fun. It's got pretty much every thing you would want in a go fast looks good package

I had mine and when I sold it I missed it alot.

It truly is the best bang for the buck even at 80k it's a cool car and the lines are very attractive.

Good luck hope u enjoy

24. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    had a 04 zo6....THE most fun car ever.

Guilt free pleasure. Surprisingly good as GT cars....

25. way2evil

way2evil Rookie

Jan 18, 2006
    long island
    #25 way2evil, Feb 24, 2012
    like this