THIS is the new 620 GT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

THIS is the new 620 GT

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by asb9987, Feb 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    You did a great job with your sketch which the 620 looks real close to it. I think I like your sketch more because of the understated front and rear which seem to flow better. However, the 620 has more of everything, HP,tq etc... so why not be a little over the top with the design as Ferrari has presented to us (if that is the real 620?).

I also think the hatchback will give the lower look to this 620 model. It will be interesting to see the real thing.

2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #52 ingegnere, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    Indented yes, but slab sided on the 620 and as ugly as the Aston. And BTW, I'm not even certain the top side of the rear fender is indented - there's a scoop or vent in that area which gives the illusion, but I'm afraid it's pretty flat topped also.

Also, the sweep on the 458 rear fender is brilliant, this one looks like it starts off almost vertically behind the door and then dips down in a straight line with no rhyme or reason and with no sympathy to adjacent features.

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks.

When I posted I also said that even though I thought I was close (having studied te mule pics) I was still expecting to be surprised by the masters at Pinin - didn't expect to be negatively surprised, though!

4. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    We need to see the rear to pass final judgment. I wonder with all this power if the 620 is still going to be classified in the GT area? This car looks to be a little more sport like than the 599.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +620 well stated.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. The car isn't already shown and people here crap all over it.

W.....T.......F?

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I Agree with All of you. So there.

8. Ecnelis

Ecnelis Karting

Sep 19, 2008
    Poland
    #58 Ecnelis, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    when did chris bangle start working for pininfarina?

10. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    I agree, although I often think of how imposing the sight of the flat rear wings in the reflection of the wing mirrors of a 80's and 90's testarossa, to me the image was mesmerising.

11. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    PininFarina finally made a Corvette...

On the other hand, take a look at the Bertone "Nuccio"...

12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #62 ingegnere, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sure it's low-slung, wide and goes a zillion mph. I can even appreciate the nicely done nose, but my point is you don't need any more pictures to know that the back looks like sh--! Not original, not clever and not well integrated. The side vents are just too convoluted for no reason.

I liked the Cali lines (especially roof up) and I thought the FF was very well executed, given its design intent and mission.

The 458 wasn't shown yet but even from a pic like this you knew it would look just right:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Ingegnere just put a smile on my face! I remember when the crash-test pics of the yet-to-be-released 458 were published. My immediate thought was, "WOW!!! That is going to be a beautiful car!!!!" Haven't thought about that in a long time, but I do remember the excitement of realizing Ferrari was getting ready to knock one out of the park!! And they did! Still holding out hope for this new model. I think it shows a great deal of promise!

14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Very well put and accurate description of the anticipation of 458.

If the 458 was a home run, the 620 (or whatever) looks like a pop-up to shallow left field!

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    It amazes me that you can not post a picture of any new Ferrari or there is always someone who thinks it looks like a Corvette. It doesn't.

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    +1

At the end of an event at Goodwood last year I was walking back to my Daytona. A teenager was staring at it with his Dad and said I don't like that one it looks like an eighties Corvette. I said to him you're right it does but this design is from the late sixties so to be accurate the Corvette looks like the Daytona! :)

17. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    i like it from the photo at least, not too overly aggressive

18. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    Amazing: this is a road car with as much power as a Formula 1 racer and you won't need the reflexes of a cat to drive it!

The design does a brilliant job of taking the past and pointing towards the future.

I will wait until I see it in the skin but to me it looks like a winner that will reassert that Ferrari is the best sport car maker in the world.

19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    From initial photos it's not a bad looking car but I just expected a little more. In 2009, the 599, F430, 612 and California seemed to me to be different cars. Now they seemed to be designed around the headlights, optimized for production line efficiencies and supplier cost considerations. I'm not an automotive expert, a designer nor an engineer but there are a good amount of choices when spending $350-400k on a car and the opportunity cost of what you could do with that money is big enough that Ferrari should deliver more exclusivity to production car customers. Why just the super car clients get the clean sheet design?

20. ferrarithijs

ferrarithijs Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    +620

21. dp1900

dp1900 Karting

Feb 20, 2010
    Bologna
    Full Name:
    ElGreco
    #71 dp1900, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    I think Ferrari plays the brand name card and the tec know how...(620 is super fast)
    no emotion and style here...

Unfortunately the new car is more like a Cali on steroids...

Manzoni at the VW design studio has acquired some questionable attitudes...

welcome to ''all ferraris have the same face'' era...

nevertheless lets hope the real thing is different...

22. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Bob people did the same thing with the 458 before they saw a picture - they crapped all over it! Once people saw it in the flesh and drove it - amazing was the word!!

23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I like it, the shape is aggressive and there are lots of new elements. I also beleive the picture of the silver car is not a pic of the actual car but a full scale model....Seeing pictures are one thing but very often these new cars look far, far better in the metal.

24. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The side creases do much to define the design. They look very complex and hard to perceive, given the light and graininess of the photo. Will have to see it in person or at least more and better photos. The overall form seems traditional, while in keeping with current Ferrari design cliches such as the headlamp treatment and grill. However it is not nearly as classic a form as the 550.

25. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    It looks like Ferrari is now following Porshe's design philosophy. Make every model look similar. It's worked for Porshe let's see if it will work for Ferrari?