San Diego European / Desert European - eBay fraud... | FerrariChat

San Diego European / Desert European - eBay fraud...

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by neilhellr, Mar 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. neilhellr

neilhellr Karting

May 30, 2004
    Central IL
    Full Name:
    Neil H.
    I am posting to see if anyone in the SoCal section has a connection or relationship with San Diego European / Desert European. I purchased an Aston Martin Vantage Convertible on eBay earlier in the week, and the experience I've had so far has been nothing short of TERRIBLE.

Is this common or am I the exception???

I am in the market to purchase an Aston Martin Vantage convertible for my wife. I’ve been looking for a number of months and honestly, I’m looking for a deal. Last week I stumbled upon an Ebay auction for a 2008 Aston Martin Vantage listed by San Diego European (authorized Aston Martin Dealer). I am told they are an affiliate of Desert European.

You can find a link below to the No Reserve auction which I won earlier in the week. Not to bore you with the details, but I have been the high bidder on the car for 5 days and about $20,000 worth of bidding. I eventually won the auction for $61,100. I called David I. about 20 minutes after winning the auction to make arrangements to wire funds and have the car picked up (I live in IL). He commented that I got a great deal and would need to get the information and call me back. I never received a return call, but received an email stating that San Diego European was choosing to “cancel” the sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170789437900&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

I called the dealership and asked for David I. (the Ebay contact). Instead I was connected to John (a used car manager). Without even a discussion, he very crudely informed me that he could "do what he wanted” and he was choosing to “wholesale the car to someone else”. I calmly explained that I had won a no-reserve eBay auction posted by his dealership. It seemed as if nothing I said made sense to him (or he simply chose to ignore me). Either way, we spoke for about 5 minutes when he informed me that “listen, I don’t have to deal with a hassle to lose $5000 selling a used car”. To me (the customer), it doesn’t matter if you make $5000 or lose $5000 on a sale. To call a customer trying to pay for an Aston Martin Vantage Convertible purchased on eBay a “hassle” is almost laughable to me.

We (I as the Buyer and San Diego European as the seller) mutually agreed on terms in which to purchase this Aston Martin Vantage. They posted the car for sale in a No Reserve auction and I was the High Bidder. I can't believe this type of behavior is allowable, let alone condoned by a franchised Aston Martin retailer!

I am sharing my experience to see if I can get a contact at either dealership to speak with and also to WARN the community about the less than ethical business practices displayed by this dealership group... I can't say I've ever dealt with company less interested in customer service...

2. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    might want to contact ebay regarding their policy with this sort of thing. A number of times, I've seen these disputes end up publicized online and the pressure has pushed dealers to do the right thing (as they should have form the beginning) I suppose you could try to get the story out to some of the car blogs out there and see if they go with it. Just be sure to have your facts 100% correct.

Good luck!

3. neilhellr

neilhellr Karting

May 30, 2004
    Central IL
    Full Name:
    Neil H.
    I've contacted eBay, but if you've ever spoken to their call center, you'll know how far I was able to get there... It's really unfortunate.

My goal is not to drag the dealership through the mud, but to spur someone there to use some common sense and realize that without customers, they don't have much of a business...

Allowing others an honest peak into the way a business handles a concern with a customer can never hurt...

At this point, they have yet to offer any type of solution. I call once or twice a day, but they have the receptionist trained to make sure I can't get past her desk...

I have sent a cordial email and left a message for Gary W. (the "Executive Manager"), but as expected, have not recieved even a simple "I'm sorry" or return phone call.

4. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd think you should just move on and drop it. Ebay is a garbage pale of a place to deal with sometimes you get lucky other times you can get caught up in such a disaster. Take it for what its worth and look at it the 3 types of outcome you would had with a used car on ebay.

1) Wire funds and get a car that would be a nightmare problems to deal with
    2) Get the car and it turns out it's require more money in parts/labor then the car is worth ?
    3) Wire funds and the car goes MIA.

Can't stress enough, if your spending this sort of money go and see the car in person and have a look under it and kick the tires, get the proper tech to pull data off the cars Black box and just get all of the chips in your pocket before you make an offer or put an online bid in.

Sucks overall for the OP but take it as a lesson learned/burned.

5. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    You see what I mean its like there is no one in ebay's customer service anymore. Been dealing with a refund I gave a customer of mine and its been 2 effing months and ebay has not credited me back for the return credit Final Value fees.

Frankly get up on autotrader and crazed list for craigslist and just search find another car that is closer to you and better suited. Its their loss on the sale and I'm sure there is another car out there that is better then the one you found.

6. neilhellr

neilhellr Karting

May 30, 2004
    Central IL
    Full Name:
    Neil H.
    Turbo,

I agree that it's best to see a car first... That said, I felt much better making a deal with an authorized Aston Martin Dealer. This wasn't a deal made with a private seller or even a "high end" used car outfit...

You expect more when you deal with a factory authorized dealership.

At the end of the day, I've learned a bit and will eventually land a car. The post isn't in regards to whether or not buying a used car on eBay is intelligent or not - it's about the actions of a reputable factory authorized dealership group.

While San Diego European may never do the "right thing" and honor their end of the deal, I think it's VERY beneficial for other potential/past customers to see the manner in which I have been treated in this situation. They can use this information to make their own informed decisions when shopping for their next vehicle...

Buying a car isn't all about the price paid or the quality of the vehicle. It's also about the experience.

7. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011

+1, just bought a Brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit overland V6 All optioned. The dealer did a dealer trade to get the color I wanted and boom I get into the jeep to check it out before I sign the paper work = 500 miles on it, that is not a new car but I would consider that sort of mileage to be used.

I was ******** about this, eventually it was taken care of and I got it for $39k OTD after the mess they caused. Sticker on it was about $48k with all of the options but I cant stress
    check the car out in all details even if its new.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sounds like they think they car sold too cheap? About all you can do is keep making a stink and hopefully they figure the bad PR isn't worth pissing somebody off over. Make the rounds posting this on the various forums. Total sleaze move on their part. If you haven't seen the car personally and or had it checked out i.e. PPI, they could be doing you a favor? Try to buy something like that private party or from a reputable dealer. If you don't physically look at a car you leave yourself open to shenanigans. Good luck.

9. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    Also try better business bureau and post on dealerrater.com

10. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    PM sent...

Scott

11. silex840

silex840 Rookie

Dec 6, 2010
    San Diego
    I recently purchased a Lotus from San Diego European and it was nothing but a pleasant experience. I am local though and feel that car internet auction deals, especially reserved ones, are to be taken with a grain of salt. I never take them seriously, because I know the seller doesn't. What I mean by this is that the buyer more than likely is a first time customer and if they decide to buy another car again it probably won't be from the same seller. So the seller doesn't feel obligated to please the buyer through this transaction. And I firmly believe the old adage, if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. Unfortunately, no reserve eBay car auctions create the perfect storm that is best to be avoided. I still think it justifies how you were treated and it certainly doesn't help their case, but hopefully both partied learned from this experience. Once burned, twice shy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. neilhellr

neilhellr Karting

May 30, 2004
    Central IL
    Full Name:
    Neil H.
    I agree to an extent. I have purchased a number of cars in this fashion (eBay), and have had many great experiences.

My mother taught me a long time ago that you should pay attention to the manner in which people you are associated with treat the waitress at a restaurant or the clerk at the store. They may never see these people again, but their actions tell a lot about the type of person they truly are.

While its true this may have been their only dealing with me, this experience tells me a lot about San Diego European / Desert European.

It's my hope that others take notice as well...

13. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I've won items on eBay where the sellers backed out due to either not getting enough money for shipping or due to listing a Buy it Now price that is too low. Happened a few times and although it is against eBay policy, there is really nothing a buyer can do to force the seller to deliver the goods. My money was returned in all cases.

I would never buy a vehicle over eBay and as another poster stated, move on.

14. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    +1

Ebay really is a time bomb ticking essentially and how its business practice is overall run i'd not be betting on that horse anymore. At the end of the day it's good to know about this experience one has had but at the same time, people should look into the time one has to post up a negative view, and on the flip side of this take for instance yelp

Sure you can go on there get a whole bunch of nice reviews of any given place but at the same time one has to consider that might be someone's friends posting those good reviews and its very easy for competitors to manipulate negative comments on any given business, that said with your experience and others have had on ebay the negative comments posted can be just people not happy on an example your "winning" bid price.

buying a car at any auction sight un-seen and getting it delivered with out touching it first is serious risky business, I have taken the gamble and its win or loose. any high dollar car or etc just go there in person pick up and pay a dealer, I'm always hesitant of doing any private sale as there are way more legal and tax liabilities when it comes down to it and would you be able to provide any insight about this asides from the basics bill of sale and title etc ?

15. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    #15 Turbo360, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Yes, yes indeed we all need to know this. Reminds me of the loud guy in the restaurant screaming on the phone with his business deal at hand.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. silex840

silex840 Rookie

Dec 6, 2010
    San Diego
    ^ Haha, it's the default signature in the app. Bah.