Yellow wire w/ red stripe??? | FerrariChat

Yellow wire w/ red stripe???

Discussion in '308/328' started by snafu, Mar 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snafu

snafu Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David W
    I have a yellow wire with red stripe located under my rear right fender, that if (enternal power) is applied will turn on my rear red running lights and rear marker lights. My rear lights operate normally but I am trying to find what this wire goes to forward of the wheel. The wire has a factory connector on it and will only reach to approx the top of the fuel tank area??

Thanks

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Did you check the license plate lights? Maybe goes to them on the rear lid?

3. akimmel

akimmel Karting

Aug 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Art Kimmel
    The only yellow wire with red stripe on my '83 QV wiring diagram is between the "Warning Light Cylinder 5-8 Relay" and its dash light

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1

The 440/86 US 328 wiring diagram shows the wire going from the RH rear parking lights to the rear "number plate lights" as being GR (yellow/red) -- look for a corresponding connector (and wire color) somewhere up near the rear bonnet hinge axis.

When you say "My rear lights operate normally" are you including the rear license plate lights?

5. snafu

snafu Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David W
    Steve,
    My rear light operate normally means: if I turn my running lights on the front and rear & sides lights turn on, if I press the brakes the rear lights illuminate brighter, I can operate the hazard and turn signals as they should. So it is how it has always worked for me. The GR (yellow/red) wire is traced back into the rear bonnet but I am reluctant to cut the jacket covering the wires so we applied 12volts to the wire and the rear taillights (red) and rear side markers turned on. The problem lies with I cant see where the the wire should hook to.

Crowndog,
    I will verify the license plate light and will update with my findings.

Thanks

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This is the same question that I was asking -- do your rear license plate lights come "on" when you turn the parking lights "on"? (they should).

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 miketuason, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. snafu

snafu Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David W
    Steve, sorry my my fingers were typing before my brain was engaged.

9. snafu

snafu Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David W
    When I was testing my rear lights, we had my deck lids removed and the other end of the wire wasn't there so I didn't think of the license plate light. IT was the missing link.
    Thanks to all who helped.